Best Berkhof edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedoc84

Puritan Board Sophomore
What is the best edition/printing of Berkhof’s systematic theology? The BoT edition is out of print it looks like. The Eerdmans edition with Mueller’s preface looks interesting. There are also a number of independent offerings as well, but I see complaints about print quality with some of them.

Banner of Truth is actually going to print a new edition of it. This time, theirs will contain his Introduction to Systematic Theology, which previously was only in the Eerdmans edition. You can see it here.

I have the eerdmans and it looks like it is identical to the banner edition. At least this is what the screens looked like when I compared them. It also includes the intro. Both are facsimiles though.

I have the eerdmans and it looks like it is identical to the banner edition.
Except that Banner of Truth actually cares about printing quality books with sewn bindings and not cheap glued bindings that are no better than paperbacks.

Banner of Truth is actually going to print a new edition of it. This time, theirs will contain his Introduction to Systematic Theology, which previously was only in the Eerdmans edition. You can see it here.

Allan Harman's new commentary on Amos is probably excellent, too. His two-volume commentary on the Psalms is amazing.

I like the following extract from the Introduction, which Banner has quoted on their website:

‘Objections have frequently been raised against a systematic presentation of the doctrinal truths of Scripture; and also in the present day some are decidedly averse to it. There seems to be a lurking fear that the more we systematize the truth, the farther we wander from the presentation of it that is found in the Word of God. But there is no danger of this, if the system is not based on the fundamental principles of some erring philosophy, but on the abiding principles of Scripture itself. God certainly sees the truth as a whole, and it is the duty of the theologian to think the truths of God after Him.’

— LOUIS BERKHOF in the Introductory Volume included with this edition.

It is worth getting his History of Christian Doctrine together with his expanded Systematic Theology. Berkhof says of his History of Christian Doctrine that it "is a companion volume to the author's Systematic Theology and contains the historical material to be used with that work".

I just hope it isn't so tightly bound that it's hard to keep it open.
My experience with Banner books is that they open very nicely, even if some require a little breaking-in. They can be broken-in without being broken apart. Their hardbacks have a quality smyth-sewn binding. They are made to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back