• Hughes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
Guys,

We're starting a new sermon series on Luke and I can purchase probably just one of the bigger (more expensive) recent editions. Is your vote for Joel Green, Darrell Bock, David Garland, James Edwards, or Kent Hughes? I'm limited b/c I have to get it on Kindle. Thanks!

Bock is the best of those five. But Robert is correct in saying that you need to get Ryken. I remember talking to Rick Phillips about these volumes, and at the time he said that they were the very best expository commentary volumes on any book ever written.

Of those you ask about, I only know Bock. I turn to it sometimes, but mostly just use Ryken.

We're starting a new sermon series on Luke and I can purchase probably just one of the bigger (more expensive) recent editions. Is your vote for Joel Green, Darrell Bock, David Garland, James Edwards, or Kent Hughes? I'm limited b/c I have to get it on Kindle. Thanks!

Whatever else you have, I recommend you also consider the Lutheran, R. C. H. Lenski, for a unique point of view. If you want a sample, let me know what chapter you are interested in, and I will post a pdf for anyone who wants a look.

But Robert is correct in saying that you need to get Ryken

I'm readinRyken on 1st Kings, and I am up to chapter nine. He says a lot, but I just can't fall in love with his style. It is more a matter of taste than anything objective. I also suppose that some people don't like ice cream. But I continue to read cover to cover as is my practice.

Bock is the best of those five. But Robert is correct in saying that you need to get Ryken. I remember talking to Rick Phillips about these volumes, and at the time he said that they were the very best expository commentary volumes on any book ever written.
Ryken on Acts is good.

Ryken on Acts is good.

As far as I know, Ryken has not yet written anything on Acts. Are you thinking of a different commentary by Ryken? He has done Exodus, 1 Kings, Ecclesiastes, Jeremiah/Lamentations, Luke, Galatians, 1 Timothy, and maybe one or two more I'm forgetting. Or are you thinking of a different commentary on Acts?

As far as I know, Ryken has not yet written anything on Acts. Are you thinking of a different commentary by Ryken? He has done Exodus, 1 Kings, Ecclesiastes, Jeremiah/Lamentations, Luke, Galatians, 1 Timothy, and maybe one or two more I'm forgetting. Or are you thinking of a different commentary on Acts?
Ugh. Typo - but I am on vacation. I meant Ryken on Luke. I was supposed to be agreeing with you. :doh:

I've been teaching from Luke for two years. My reliable commentaries are Bock's BCNT, Joel Green's NICNT, Fitzmeyer's AYB, I Howard Marshall's NICGT, Bovon's Hermenia series, Tannehill's Narrative Unity of Luke, and Wolter's listed here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HSZB1T/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, my preferred commentaries will be very unpopular in this group, but I consider those listed above to be the most helpful. I have used several others including Stein, Luke Timothy Johnson, Edwards Pillar Commentary, Leon Morris Tyndale volume, Holland's WBC, Molina and just about every other. I will have spent 5 years in Luke/Acts by the time I'm done so it was a worthwhile investment.

Really good to know, thanks so much brother. And it is available on Kindle.

As far as I know, Ryken has not yet written anything on Acts.
I have been listening to a youtube vid of Craig Keener on the reliability of Acts. He notes, as others have, that Luke's Gospel is akin to volume one, and Acts volume two. As if it is one book. So it would be interesting, and really cool, if Philip Ryken is working on a commentary on Acts, to follow up on his effort on the Gospel of Luke.

I've been teaching from Luke for two years. My reliable commentaries are Bock's BCNT, Joel Green's NICNT, Fitzmeyer's AYB, I Howard Marshall's NICGT, Bovon's Hermenia series, Tannehill's Narrative Unity of Luke, and Wolter's listed here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HSZB1T/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, my preferred commentaries will be very unpopular in this group, but I consider those listed above to be the most helpful. I have used several others including Stein, Luke Timothy Johnson, Edwards Pillar Commentary, Leon Morris Tyndale volume, Holland's WBC, Molina and just about every other. I will have spent 5 years in Luke/Acts by the time I'm done so it was a worthwhile investment.
Just a laymen, who is interested in commentaries, but I'm curious why you haven't delved into Ryken, since he is so highly recommended ?

Fair question Jimmy. I hadn't done extensive research on good/best commentaries for Luke; I just looked up what Beeke said and I think Challies; then since I'm limited to Kindle (living overseas) just plugged in Kindle commentaries on Luke on Amazon and just read the first page; for some reason Ryken's didn't come up (should have kept going it seems).

Appreciate the feedback guys. So far it looks like Bock is the winner from the choices but I think from what I've heard I'm going to go for Ryken. Thank you for the feedback!

Appreciate the feedback guys. So far it looks like Bock is the winner from the choices but I think from what I've heard I'm going to go for Ryken. Thank you for the feedback!
I need Ryken's commentary on Luke like I need another hole in my head :) Nevertheless, I went to Amazon, Abebook, and checked prices. Then I went to P&R publishing and it is the best price by nearly half off. Happens to be on sale for the 2 vol hardback, or kindle. I already have more than I can read in a lifetime, but I'll probably get it anyway .... the flesh is weak.

Teaching Sunday School through Luke and preached a series through Luke two years ago. Bock has been extremely helpful among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back