Best book on Scottish Reformed Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
What are some good books on Scottish Reformed Christianity? I have the following:

A Scottish Christian Heritage
History of the Reformation in Scotland by John Knox
Scots Worthies
Fair Sunshine
Messiah the Prince
Lex Rex

I think a great place to start is The Scottish Confession of Faith
I'd post a link but the one I have saved on my phone says,
The electronic version of this document has been provided as a convenience for our readers. No part of this publication may be transmitted or distributed in any form, or by any means (electronic, mechanical photocopying, or otherwise) without prior permission of the publisher.
We love our Covenanter Encyclopedia.
As far as historical fictions go The Thunder by Douglas Bond does a great job at introducing you to Knox & his Crown & Covenant series is AMAZING.
I also recommend Dane Love's Scottish Covenanter Stories

Thank you for the list you provided too... I have most of them but the two I don't have, I now I plan to get!

For their view of the church
John MacPherson, The Doctrine of the Church in Scottish Theology (watch for a tinge of German liberalism but otherwise a great overview).
James Bannerman, The Church of Christ, 2 vols; reprinted by Banner of Truth.
James Durham, A Treatise Concerning Scandal (Naphtali Press, 1990) for their view of the unity of the church and the sin of schism and division, obviously in an establishment context.

Some years ago, the Banner of Truth Trust re-published a book by a Scottish minister and educator who died in the 1940s. The book is a good overview of Scottish Reformed history and theology. Unfortunately, I remember neither the author nor the title (I read it many years ago). I DO recall that the book consisted of his lectures at Princeton Seminary, possibly from the late 1930s. Don't let "lectures at Princeton" scare you off, though. I remember the book as being quite good.

Some years ago, the Banner of Truth Trust re-published a book by a Scottish minister and educator who died in the 1940s. The book is a good overview of Scottish Reformed history and theology. Unfortunately, I remember neither the author nor the title (I read it many years ago). I DO recall that the book consisted of his lectures at Princeton Seminary, possibly from the late 1930s. Don't let "lectures at Princeton" scare you off, though. I remember the book as being quite good.

The above sounds like Geerhardus Vos but he was from the Netherlands.

You might also enjoy this Jacob. John MacLeod Scottish Theology http://www.amazon.com/Scottish-theology-relation-history-reformation/dp/0851511937

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back