Best books for New Perspective On Paul?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The three that come to mind are those written by Guy Waters, as John mentioned; Cornelis Venema, and William Barcley. You should be good to go with those three.

Stephen Westerholm's 'Perspectives Old And New On Paul' is very comprehensive up through the time that it was published in 2003. I've also read his 'Justification Reconsidered' published in 2013, mentioned above by Trent in post #4. Encapsulates the info in Perspectives Old and New in a smaller more concise package, 112 pages versus 508, and may include changes in his take on the subject ... long since I read it, and I don't remember ... but I felt I got a lot out of both. In an interview I watched on youtube N.T. Wright briefly commented, "Westerholm got it wrong." So that is an endorsement I think. :scratch:

https://www.amazon.com/Perspectives-Old-New-Paul-Lutheran/dp/0802848095

Horton, Covenant and Salvation.
Totally forgot and yet, I have this on my self.
Stephen Westerholm's 'Perspectives Old And New On Paul' is very comprehensive up through the time that it was published in 2003. I've also read his 'Justification Reconsidered' published in 2013, mentioned above by Trent in post #4. Encapsulates the info in Perspectives Old and New in a smaller more concise package, 112 pages versus 508, and may include changes in his take on the subject ... long since I read it, and I don't remember ... but I felt I got a lot out of both. In an interview I watched on youtube N.T. Wright briefly commented, "Westerholm got it wrong." So that is an endorsement I think. :scratch:

https://www.amazon.com/Perspectives-Old-New-Paul-Lutheran/dp/0802848095
Indeed! If you want a deep read what Jimmy says is a go to. Bit earlier in the debate but has no less force.

Truth be told, please ground yourself in proper exegesis and doctrine of Justification before you jump into polemics.

Last edited:
Zach, Trent is certainly correct. Read John Owen, volume 5 of his complete works; James Buchanan's volume on justification, and J.V. Fesko's volume on justification, and you will be well grounded in the truth. That being said, the Waters volume is probably the most comprehensive of the three.

Zach, Trent is certainly correct. Read John Owen, volume 5 of his complete works; James Buchanan's volume on justification, and J.V. Fesko's volume on justification, and you will be well grounded in the truth. That being said, the Waters volume is probably the most comprehensive of the three.
Quick question, what do you think of Horton’s 2 vols on Justification

Quick question, what do you think of Horton’s 2 vols on Justification
My published review is in The Confessional Presbyterian 15 (2019), pp. 179ff. I recommend it in general, but not as a first book. That would be either Buchanan or Owen, if the person can work hard enough to understand Owen's sometimes tortured syntax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back