Best books on Catholic Doctrine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Looking for the best books on Catholic doctrine.

Boettner's book is considered a classic, but some Protestant books don't seem to fully explain or even treat fairly the Catholic perspective. Or they quote only the fringe groups promoting the most fringe doctrines.

I need a book that does not deal with straw men but truthfully represents what Catholics believe. Particularly on the Treasury of Merit, relics, purgatory, and indulgences.

Thanks.

Well, if you want to read from Rome's own, I used Ott's in seminary in the seventies {Yeah, I know, I know}. Stylistically, Ott's for Rome is as A. A. Hodge's Outlines for Protestantism--terse Q & A that is to the point.

Ott has long since fell out of favor in non-Thomist conservative seminaries, so for something more modern, see Fiorenza which is often used nowadays.

Last edited:
I think the best thing to have is "The Code of Canon Law" as this is the official teaching. Any reading of it will give an insight into where the RC church is in terms of belief and church practice. Anyone familiar with the scriptures would see how contrary it is to the bible. Likewise, although probably hard to get, "Documents of Vatican 2" is another worthwhile volume if you are interested in engaging with RCs. Ben's suggestion , "Catechism of the Catholic Church" is also good to have. I always feel that if you want to know what a religious group teaches then its better to read that group's official publications rather than what outsiders, however well informed they may be, say that that group believes.

If you are looking for the standard RC exposition of its own doctrines, you have to go with the Catechism. If you are looking for Protestant expositions, I would go with the Allison book already mentioned, Sproul's book "Are We Together," and Leonardo di Chirico's book "Evangelical Theological Perspectives". These are the three best books bar none. I've read Boettner. It is not so good. It has some good points here and there, but by and large it is inaccurate and outdated. Ludwig Ott's book (which I have also read) is pre-Vatican II. If you want to know what RCC theology looked like before V2, then Ott is the best book. However, the Catechism breathes a very different air. Of course, coming to grips with RCC theology these days means navigating the treacherous waters of the interpretation of V2. There are many excellent RCC books on the meaning of V2 (a very hotly disputed topic in RCC theology). John O'Malley's book is probably the best history of V2 (his books on Trent are equally good). However, the "mainstream" interpretation of V2 (continuity and development both) is located in Vatican II: Renewal Within Tradition, edited by Lamb and Levering. The best "liberal" interpretation of V2 is probably Faggioli's book. This ought to give you enough to chew on for a while.

If you are looking for the standard RC exposition of its own doctrines, you have to go with the Catechism. If you are looking for Protestant expositions, I would go with the Allison book already mentioned, Sproul's book "Are We Together," and Leonardo di Chirico's book "Evangelical Theological Perspectives". These are the three best books bar none. I've read Boettner. It is not so good. It has some good points here and there, but by and large it is inaccurate and outdated. Ludwig Ott's book (which I have also read) is pre-Vatican II. If you want to know what RCC theology looked like before V2, then Ott is the best book. However, the Catechism breathes a very different air. Of course, coming to grips with RCC theology these days means navigating the treacherous waters of the interpretation of V2. There are many excellent RCC books on the meaning of V2 (a very hotly disputed topic in RCC theology). John O'Malley's book is probably the best history of V2 (his books on Trent are equally good). However, the "mainstream" interpretation of V2 (continuity and development both) is located in Vatican II: Renewal Within Tradition, edited by Lamb and Levering. The best "liberal" interpretation of V2 is probably Faggioli's book. This ought to give you enough to chew on for a while.

Lane, Boettner's book was published in 1962 (as you know), just as Vatican II was getting underway, which made the book more or less instantly out of date (a classic case of unfortunate publication timing). I'm surprised that Boettner didn't go back, in subsequent years, to update his book.

I would also pick up Richard Muller's Dictionary of Latina nd Greek theological terms. He does a good job explaining some of the logical underpinnings in medievalism.

Thanks. Checking into all these now!

Dr. Reymond's little work titled "The Reformation's Conflict with Rome, and why it Must Continue" may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it makes many useful points in a brief space.

I would read the V2 docs also for yourself. Not exciting reading but if you are wanting to study modern Catholic theology they are important.

Boettner's books was full of straw men. There are numerous websites that illustrate this.

I've read most of Boettner's book, and it's good on some of the doctrinal points such as the position of the Apostle Peter in the early church. The list of papist practices and the dates they were introduced is not accurate, I think. He provides no sources and I saw an article on a papist forum refuting it. However, in many cases it paints a picture of the Romish church that in many cases, is no longer true. For example, in the chapter on marriage, he reproduces the promises that a non-Catholic wanting to marry a Catholic had to sign. As far as I know, that is no longer compulsory. I remember years ago, a papist friend of my mother's told me that a papist acquaintance of hers was marrying a Hindu and they were having two wedding ceremonies. This was expressly forbidden in the promises that the non-Catholic party signed. He also mentions countries that, at that time, were Catholic countries (e.g. Spain). However, Vatican II allowed, if not requested, a separation of church and state. The kind of Romanism portrayed in his book, with regard to the social aspects, is only practiced today by traditionalist groups like the Society of St Pius X and the sedevacantists, the former of which would like the whole Romish church to return to the way it was in Boettner's time.

You may also have trouble finding Boettner's book. Our church library has it, but as far as I can tell, no other library in my city (which is quite small) has it.

Probably the best book I have read on papism is A Manual of Romish Controversy by Richard Paul Blakeney. It can be obtained in full at the Internet Archive here. He does make a slight mistake about intention, and because the book was written before 1870, he doesn't refute the doctrine of papal infallibility but contrasts that view with an opposing view at the time. For a book that treats the papacy in-depth, I would recommend The Whole Evidence Against the Claims of the Roman Church by Sanderson Robins, also available at the Internet Archive here.

You could also try James White's book The Roman Catholic Controversy​.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back