Best books on Cyril of Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomos

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings all,

I am looking for book recommendations on Cyril of Alexandria.

I have read McGuckin's book which was spectacular story of Cyril's history during the Christological controversy that led to Ephesus II. I have just recently finished Norman Russell's book on Cyril. It had a strong start and was much broader in scope than McGuckin, but was disappointing in that more than 50% of book just incorporated Cyril's writing with no commentary (if you already have those, then it's just unnecessarily duplicative).

I would love to hear of any recommended books and perhaps a quick synopsis of content.

Cheers!

Also, has anyone read Charles Kingsley's Hypatia? Despite Kingsley's insistence that Cyril was responsible for the murder of Hypatia (I don't think there's any evidence of such), it looks like it would be an interesting piece of fiction. I enjoy historical fiction quite a lot. Any other words of fiction where Cyril might make an appearance?

Cheers!

Christopher beeley's unity of Christ: conflict ant continuity

While not dealing with Cyril primarily see Paul Gavrilyuk

Christopher beeley's unity of Christ: conflict ant continuity

Thanks for the recommendation Jacob. $42.71 for an electronic version is a bit steep, but my options are limited outside the US.

Cheers!

Jacob,

I enjoyed your reading list for 2014. Are you on goodreads?

Your last blog entry references McGuckin. Awesome!

Jacob,

I enjoyed your reading list for 2014. Are you on goodreads?

Your last blog entry references McGuckin. Awesome!

I am on Goodreads. I stopped updating the reading list in November because I got tired. I'll probably start it again in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back