Best Books on WWI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
Seeing that next year is the centenary of the First World War, I was thinking I might try to spend some focused time in the coming year to dip into the rich history of this time period. I love history, but have always been more drawn to WWII rather than WWI and there is a lot about the Great War which I do not know. I'm looking for recommendations on good books (primarily historical books, but if there novels, plays, etc... that would be helpful I'm open to that as well). Here are some of the recommendations I've found on-line so far:

History:
1) The First World War by John Keegan

2) The First World War by Martin Gilbert

3) The First World War by Gerard J. De Groot

4) The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman

Non-Historical Works:

1) Le Grand Meaulnes (The Lost Estate) by Henri Alain-Fournier

Any other suggestions or comments on these books? I'd also love to get any movie recommendations as well (I've seen Sergeant York with Gary Cooper but not a lot else set in World War I).

Primary Sources:

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (a novel, but written by a veteran)
The World Crisis (if you can find it) by Winston Churchill
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence

Ben, this is probably a good project to start since we all know the History Channel will soon begin bombarding us with all sorts of distortions about WWI. It would be good to know the truth before being subjected to myths and assumptions. Or am I distorting the History Channel? Maybe they just make up stuff when they air Christian documentaries.

Ben, this is probably a good project to start since we all know the History Channel will soon begin bombarding us with all sorts of distortions about WWI. It would be good to know the truth before being subjected to myths and assumptions. Or am I distorting the History Channel? Maybe they just make up stuff when they air Christian documentaries.

No exaggeration. This pretty much sums up my view of the "History" Channel: maury3.jpg

To augment that study, there is a volume, the title escapes me at the moment, that covers those Reformed Presbyterian men who died in WWI.

That book, if you can locate it, might make for an interesting aside in your study.

Perhaps someone else can chime in with the author and title, in which case the book might even be available on archive.org or elsewhere.

EDIT: Found it!: Soldiers of the Church, by John W. Pritchard (1919):

https://archive.org/details/soldiersofchurch00prit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back