Best Books to Begin Well in Ministry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
I'm a few weeks away from graduating from PRTS and will be moving to Virginia next month to take up my first full-time ministry position at a dear OPC church outside of D.C. I'm looking for one or two books (whether biographies, devotional works, practical books or whatever) that would be particularly good to read in my first month of ministry. I'm looking for material that will help to set the right tone for my work of ministry. Any recommendations?

Two excellent practical books:

I would HIGHLY recommend Pastor Al MArtin's three-volume work The Man of God.

I think every pastor needs to read The Christian Ministry by Charles Bridges. It's probably one they should read annually. It is truly excellent. I read this book when I first started out in the ministry and I cannot tell you how beneficial it was in getting my mind and heart in the proper frame. Bridges' wisdom spared me from some shoals on which I might have otherwise been wrecked.

Last edited:
Ben:

The brothers have already given some excellent suggestions, so I won't go on about Baxter (though his Christian Directory is a great book for the pastor to have at hand) and others of that sort, old and new, which give distinct ministerial direction, as do the already cited works by Bridges, Martin, Wingard, et al.

If you're anything like me as a new pastor (and I see evidence from your interaction here that you're much better--TBTG!), I could bring forth challenging and corrective materials to God's people quite readily but was lacking in true comfort, in setting forth Christ in all his incomparable loveliness and kindness to the saints. One of the books of this year that takes the best of the Puritans (and others) in this regard and well sets such before us is Dane Ortlund's Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers.

I believe that this is a great volume for God's people generally and Christian ministers especially because it sets forth the character of Christ in a way that we can often miss. If you let the ethos of this book inform your preaching, I believe that you will be a great blessing to your people.

To which church are you going in the DC area? You may PM me if you prefer not to speak about such details online.

Peace,
Alan

Ben:

The brothers have already given some excellent suggestions, so I won't go on about Baxter (though his Christian Directory is a great book for the pastor to have at hand) and others of that sort, old and new, which give distinct ministerial direction, as do the already cited works by Bridges, Martin, Wingard, et al.

If you're anything like me as a new pastor (and I see evidence from your interaction here that you're much better--TBTG!), I could bring forth challenging and corrective materials to God's people quite readily but was lacking in true comfort, in setting forth Christ in all his incomparable loveliness and kindness to the saints. One of the books of this year that takes the best of the Puritans (and others) in this regard and well sets such before us is Dane Ortlund's Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers.

I believe that this is a great volume for God's people generally and Christian ministers especially because it sets forth the character of Christ in a way that we can often miss. If you let the ethos of this book inform your preaching, I believe that you will be a great blessing to your people.

To which church are you going in the DC area? You may PM me if you prefer not to speak about such details online.

Peace,
Alan
Thank you Dr. Strange (and thanks to all the brothers who have responded so far - you've reminded me of some wonderful books that would be worth revisiting).

I have heard nothing but good things about Ortlund's new book. I'll make that my first post-seminary read!

I'll be serving under Rev. Charles Biggs at Ketoctin Covenant Presbyterian Church in Purcellville, VA. I'm beyond excited!

Ben:

Excellent. Greet Charles and the saints there for me. I am glad to hear that you'll be there. In what capacity will you be serving?

Peace,
Alan

Diary of Kenneth Macrae
I second this. Also the diary of Andrew Boner and the diary and journals of David Brainerd. For the Brainerd work, get the Banner of Truth edition as it contains Jonathan Edwards excellent reflections on Brainerd's spiritual life. This will greatly aid your own spiritual life in ministry.

The Reformed Pastor by Baxter -- I know Baxter is a bit controversial for some of his departures from Reformed orthodoxy, but this book is overflowing with practical advice that I think more pastors should heed in the church today.

Ben:

Peace,
Alan

The Reformed Pastor by Baxter -- I know Baxter is a bit controversial for some of his departures from Reformed orthodoxy, but this book is overflowing with practical advice that I think more pastors should heed in the church today.

I find it tragic that some today would rather throw Baxter out with the bathwater considering his departures--which are not light ones to be sure. But you can't possibly miss the grace of God burning in the soul of this man. I wish I remembered which man who said it, that while the rest of us were playing with matches, Baxter was setting the world on fire.

I love the Christian Directory. I think it's also an excellent help for the ruling elder. Baxter writes as one fervently concerned for the souls of his people, understanding that people are dealing with real, deeply-felt, complex problems of the soul, and that the battle to be holy and to strive against corruptions is real, high-stakes, and difficult. This man has been my friend for his counsels in some severe bouts of depression, and opened my eyes to see the majesty of God, while also showing convincingly that through Christ I may very safely and readily come to Him. He writes as a true shepherd with an extraordinary love for the people of God. I expect to keep Baxter in his Christian Directory as a close friend for all my life.

Dr. Strange, I assume you are alluding to Albert Martin. I've read half of Pastor Albert Martin's first "Pastoral Theology." I hope to get through the second half, and read the other volumes. He has been called a pastor's pastor. The book's strength is also in that Pr. Martin doesn't try to stand alone. If anything, from what I've read he's tried to bring to the present the best of pastoral wisdom from the past, and in some sense synchronize it together, with added aspersions of his own experience. This is the capstone of the man's life. The Lord grant other such faithful men.

Last edited:
I find it tragic that some today would rather throw Baxter out with the bathwater considering his departures--which are not light ones to be sure. But you can't possibly miss the grace of God burning in the soul of this man. I wish I remembered which man who said it, that while the rest of us were playing with matches, Baxter was setting the world on fire.

I love the Christian Directory. I think it's also an excellent help for the ruling elder. Baxter writes as one fervently concerned for the souls of his people, understanding that people are dealing with real, deeply-felt, complex problems of the soul, and that the battle to be holy and to strive against corruptions is real, high-stakes, and difficult. This man has been my friend for his counsels in some severe bouts of depression, and opened my eyes to see the majesty of God, while also showing convincingly that through Christ I may very safely and readily come to Him. He writes as a true shepherd with an extraordinary love for the people of God. I expect to keep Baxter in his Christian Directory as a close friend for all my life.
Great recommendation. Baxter was the chief recommended work on pastoral care for new ministers in my previous presbytery: https://web.archive.org/web/20170425093256/https://www.westminsterconfession.org/Syllabus.pdf

I resonate a lot with what Alan said. Seminary grads (and I certainly did this myself) tend to go into a church situation, see the problems immediately, and then think, "Well, what they need is a great huge dose of 'do this,' because they're obviously falling down on the job." The Bible becomes a club to hit people with. It is so easy in that kind of situation to become a preacher of law with grace tacked on at the end almost as an afterthought. It is even possible to stop preaching about Jesus' person and work, and start preaching exclusively about what the church needs to do to get back on its feet or correct its trajectory.

This doesn't mean avoid the imperatives of Scripture when you preach. It does mean make sure that your message is Christ-focused from beginning to end, and that transformative grace is what you are desperately trying to offer. It is God, after all, who will change the recalcitrant parishioner, not you. And it will be grace that does it, not law, which has no power at all to change the human heart.

One of the books of this year that takes the best of the Puritans (and others) in this regard and well sets such before us is Dane Ortlund's Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers.

This book is wonderful! Really wonderful. Reading it for a second time!

Last edited:
Any one of either The Memoir and Remains of Rev D Macfarlane, Rev D MacDonald, and Rev Neil Cameron, Ministers and Men of the Far North by Rev A Auld, or The Days of the Fathers in Ross-Shire by Rev John Kennedy.

Ben,
I just recently finished my first year of ministry (14 months in). I read both of these books in my first year.
Two excellent practical books:

Both of them are worthy reading. However, both of them mostly serve as reminders of so many little things that your professors no doubt taught you in seminary. Of the two of them, I found Helopolous to be more helpful.

I also really appreciate Dr. Strange's recommendation. Although I have not read Ortlund's book, I see great value in reading such a book, especially in light of John 12:21—the burning request of God's people is: "Sir, we would see Jesus." Show them Jesus in your preaching!

Regarding, some other books that have been mentioned in this thread, I can add my vote of support to some as worth reading (even if you do not get to them in your first year). First, although I have not read the books sitting on my shelves, I have listened to a number of Al Martin's lectures on Pastoral Theology that ultimately became his books. As mentioned he draws heavily from Bridges, Spurgeon, and John Owen. Martin is worth hearing/reading. Second, I am currently reading Christ Centered Preaching by Chapell. The first chapter alone make this book worthwhile. But all that I have read so far is very good.

Blessings on your move and labors.

"The Christian Pastor's Manual" put together by John Brown, published by Soli Deo Gloria is a gold mine for this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back