Best college football rivalry

Best college football rivalry

• The Iron Bowl (Alabama vs. Auburn)

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • The Red River Shootout (Oklahoma vs. Texas)

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Michigan vs. Ohio State

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • The Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party (Georga vs. Florida)

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Army vs. Navy

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Notre Dame vs. SoCal

• Third Saturday in October (Alabama vs. Tennessee)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • South's Oldest Rivalry (North Carolina vs. Virginia)

• Florida State vs. Miami

• The Game (Harvard vs. Yale)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbryant

Puritan Board Freshman
Since it is that time of year, I thought I would gage the PB world for their vote for top college football rivalry.

Criteria for selection:

1. It has to be a 60-40 percent win-loss ratio or closer.
2. Has to have played continuously for 30 years or more.
3. If it has a catchy name to the game. Not a requirement but it helps
4. Must traditionally have impact on conference/national championship standings.

Georgia/Florida has to rank up there as a top rivalry; it can make the difference of who goes on to the Sugar. Georgia/Georgia Tech has gone on forever -- however they are in different conferences so it won't meet your 4th criterion.

Since it is that time of year, I thought I would gage the PB world for their vote for top college football rivalry.

Criteria for selection:

4. Must traditionally have impact on conference/national championship standings.

Wow! These are pretty strict requirements. I think if you remove criteria #4 you may get more rivalries that fit the bill.

I would normally say Georgia v. Florida, because that fits all the criteria. But it hasn't been a close win percentage for the past 15 years or more, since Florida has Georgia's number. Actually, all the games since around 2000 were close for most of the decade (7 points or less I think), until two years ago when Georgia won by double digits, and last year when Florida annihilated Georgia.

But, actually, I don't know why Georgia v. Auburn isn't considered more of a rivalry game. I believe it's one of the longest series in the SEC. Not only is it nearly 50-50 in wins, the number of points scored over the course of the series is nearly equal. Because it always occurs near the end of the season, it usually impacts conference standings. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a cool name for the game. Part of the reason it gets overshadowed is because the Iron Bowl follows in one or two weeks.

The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry (Auburn vs. Georgia) was considered, probably should be on the list but I already have Auburn in a rivalry game (with Alabama) and I didn't want too many SEC games on the list.

SEC is such a tough conference that the rivalries run long and deep. And a southerner doesn't forget much. Clemson endeared itself to Georgia one time -- something to do with painting all these tiger paw prints on highways connecting the schools (most are in Georgia).

I voted Michigan-Ohio State, but I may be skewed by my Midwest location. A 35-point difference last year is not indicative of the intensity with which that game is played. I think if you were to judge it by the enormity of the game in relation to National Championship implications, you would have to rate Oklahoma-Texas right at the top, kind of how Miami-FSU was in the early '90s, and this year should be no exception.

Michigan-Ohio State is #1. End of story.
Absolutely. I don't think there is any that has been so close for so long with so much implication. You cant judge bythe last couple of years.
You're absolutely wrong Fred. College football isn't a religion up north as it is down south, therefore it cannot even begin to qualify. :)

DTK

There are plenty of Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State fans that would beg to differ - 4 biggest fan bases in the country.

The Game is definitely the best rivalry for historical implications, size of the program, fan following, and annual importance...

THE Ohio State v. Michigan is the greatest rivalry!

Absolutely. I don't think there is any that has been so close for so long with so much implication. You cant judge bythe last couple of years.
You're absolutely wrong Fred. College football isn't a religion up north as it is down south, therefore it cannot even begin to qualify. :)

DTK

You must have never lived in Ohio, then.:D

Where I'm from (Canton, OH) there are only three things of true importance in life:

1. God
2. McKinley v. Massillon (oldest surviving football rivalry)
3. THE Ohio State v. Michigan game

Not necessarily in that order for everyone.

Family, friends, jobs, the Cleveland Browns, etc... all come in a distant fourth or so.

But, seriously, THE Ohio State v. Michigan game as the greatest rivalry should be without dissent. What other rivalry has ever had nationally aired commercials that made sense to everyone? [video=youtube;Zv0_EpF5SyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0_EpF5SyY[/video]

THE Ohio State v. Michigan is the greatest rivalry! All arguments for other rivalries are based on the logical fallacy that other teams matter.

ee23pfg91xeioyrppayw.gif
ohio-state.jpg

Though I am pretty sure my buddies in Boone have one taped to their wall...

App-Michigan%20Print.jpg

-----Added 8/13/2009 at 11:45:48 EST-----

Of course my favorite rivalry is the Backyard Brawl

The University of Pittsburgh v. West Virginia University

PITT IS IT!!!

1202brawl02a.jpg

I am partial to the Civil War between Oregon State and University of Oregon. This is one of the oldest rivalries...I think.
But because it was not an option I went with USC vs ND so that I can give the West Coast a little bit of love.
I really do enjoy watching Ohio State vs. Michigan, and I gained a lot more respect for the Auburn vs. Alabama rivalry when I found out Alabama does not have a pro football team.

Taking criteria #4 into consideration, there is no other rivalry that is even close. Notre Dame has 13 National Championships and USC 11.

But if stadium size is the deciding factor, then I guess you could tip your hat to Michigan vs. Ohio State.

Fellows, when it comes to rivalries and rabid fans there is no place like the South. I have lived all over this nation and been in the middle of football my whole life. The way some fans are in the South is almost enough to make me want to disown them. And the worst of it is right here in my home state. You have not seen rabid fans until you see Bammers. Stadium size does not equate fanaticism.

BTW, as far as what is the best rivalry? Too many variables over too long a span of time. Another way of looking at it would be:

What is the best nostalgic rivalry?
What is the most consistent rivalry?
What rivalry has the most rabid adherents?

I don't believe there is any single rivalry that meets the OP criteria.

Fellows, when it comes to rivalries and rabid fans there is no place like the South. I have lived all over this nation and been in the middle of football my whole life. The way some fans are in the South is almost enough to make me want to disown them. And the worst of it is right here in my home state. You have not seen rabid fans until you see Bammers. Stadium size does not equate fanaticism.

BTW, as far as what is the best rivalry? Too many variables over too long a span of time. Another way of looking at it would be:

What is the best nostalgic rivalry?
What is the most consistent rivalry?
What rivalry has the most rabid adherents?

I don't believe there is any single rivalry that meets the OP criteria.

I like your criteria. Putting aside all of my love for THE Ohio State for a moment, I still vote that THE Ohio State v. Michigan game meets the criteria above all others.

It is the most viewed game of the year, isn't it?

The only one that I think is close is Notre Dame and USC.

I agree OSU vs. "That state up north" and Notre Dame vs USC are the best rivalries in college hands down. I like OSU and Dame (even though they are Catholic). Interesting story: My old youth pastor (Baptist) was invited to teach theology at Notre Dame.

Look at this year: Florida is going in ranked #1 and Georgia #13. Both schools have to get past each other and Alabama (#5), Mississippi (10) and LSU (#9). And Georgia has to get past its old nemesis Georgia Tech (#15) which isn't a conference game, but a notch in the loss column doesn't do you much good. I don't think any other conference offers that kind of intensity. BTW, I was looking at the Coaches Poll.

Look at this year...I don't think any other conference (than the SEC) offers that kind of intensity.

I'll give it to you, the SEC is tops. Currently. Not many can deny that, given their recent success on the field and present dominance in recruiting.

But it won't always be that way. Someone else will be at the top before long. The strength of rivalries is formed over decades.

Look at this year...I don't think any other conference (than the SEC) offers that kind of intensity.

I'll give it to you, the SEC is tops. Currently. . . .

But it won't always be that way. . . .

I don't know why anything would change. The SEC has always been the toughest conference in college football. I once heard one of the greatest football coaches ever, who has coached in more than one conference say the same thing. His name? Lou Holtz. His opinion was that one reason that the conference does not have more national champions than it does is that the interconference play is so tough that the records don't show how good the teams really are.

The SEC has always been the toughest conference in college football.

I disagree.

...one reason that the conference does not have more national champions than it does is that the interconference play is so tough that the records don't show how good the teams really are.

Ah, I get it. So when the SEC wins a lot of NCs (like Florida and LSU recently) it shows they're the best. When they are NOT winning a lot of NCs, it shows they are the best.

I've lived in SEC land my whole life, and I've heard the argument time and time again: "The SEC doesn't have to schedule difficult non-conference games because their conference games are already so hard." It's a cop-out.. Again, I think the SEC is currently the strongest, but they should be scheduling more difficult games.

I'll give it to you, the SEC is tops. Currently. . . .

But it won't always be that way. . . .

I don't know why anything would change. The SEC has always been the toughest conference in college football. I once heard one of the greatest football coaches ever, who has coached in more than one conference say the same thing. His name? Lou Holtz. His opinion was that one reason that the conference does not have more national champions than it does is that the interconference play is so tough that the records don't show how good the teams really are.

It also helps they play all their bowl games in home stadiums. I'd like to see Florida or LSU play in Ann Arbor or State College in January.

Ah, I get it. So when the SEC wins a lot of NCs (like Florida and LSU recently) it shows they're the best. When they are NOT winning a lot of NCs, it shows they are the best.

HAHAHA.

I'm pretty sure all of my southern friends would agree whole heartedly with that statement. I finally had to stop discussing football with them, because they couldn't over the fact that they went to school in the SEC. This, obviously, meant that they knew everything about good football and I knew nothing.

And I vote for the Ohio/Michigan rivalry. You can have the SEC. There is nothing like football in the midwest.

Criteria for selection:

Give me a break with the ESPN/SEC East coast bias. How can USC vs UCLA not even be on the poll?

USC has won 55% of the games, but UCLA owns the longest winning streak (8 games). It has huge PAC-10 implications. And give me a break! 30 years or more? Try 78!

Although the last few years have not been much fun for me I have to say UM vs OSU. I guess I'm biased though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back