Best Commentary on the Gospel of John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jar1979

Puritan Board Freshman
The Lord willing, I'm going to start preaching through the Gospel of John in a few months. What are the best commentaries you have used for John and why did you think they were good?

Thanks for your help.

Rick Davis
The Fellowship of the Word
Cincinnati, OH

Get Kostenberg's commentary. I am using it right now as I am in a series in John.

Sent using my most excellent Android device.

I have these:

George Beasley-Murray, John. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1999.
D. A. Carson, The Gospel According to John. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1991.
Leon Morris, The Gospel According to John. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1971.
Herman Ridderbos, The Gospel According to John. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1991.

I can usually find what I am looking for in one or more of them.

I forgot about Kostenberger - I have used that, as well. In fact, I just checked and it's on my shelf. I forgot I had it. :doh:

Read it in one sitting. Several times. The week(s) you are preaching read it repeatedly at 7 chapters a day.

Then read Matthew Henry's commentary on it and John Calvin's commentary on it.

That should do the trick. :)

Herald, what do you like about Kostenberg's commentary; what distinguishes it from others for you? Steve, is the Carson commentary the same as his work in the Pillar series? Which of the ones you listed do you think is best? (I know each will have its own strengths/weaknesses, but which did you find most useful?) Austin, I'm reading John in that way right now in preparation-what a blessing!

Rick Davis
Cincinnati, OH

Steve, is the Carson commentary the same as his work in the Pillar series? Which of the ones you listed do you think is best?

Yes, I am referring to the Pillar series for the Carson text. As for the "best" of those I listed, that's tough. I use them all whenever I am in John, but if I had to point to the one I use slightly more than the rest, that would probably be Ridderbos.

Thanks very much for the input guys; I'll check out what you've suggested. Anyone else have recommendations?

Rick Davis
Cincinnati, OH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back