Best Commentary on Westminster Shorter Catechism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
What is the Best Commentary on Westminster Shorter Catechism?

Eg, The Shorter Catechism Explained From Scripture, Vincent; Body of Divinity, Watson etc.

Any thoughts?

Westminster Shorter Catechism Project

Thomas Boston's "Of Man's Chief End and Happiness"
Francis Beattie's "The Presbyterian Standards: An Exposition of the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms."
James Fisher's "Catechism on the Catechism"
John Flavel's "Exposition of the Assembly's Shorter Catechism"
Matthew Henry's "A Scripture Catechism in the Method of the Assembly's"
Thomas Vincent's "The Shorter Catechism Explained from Scripture"
Thomas Watson's "Body of Divinity"
Alexander Whyte's "Commentary on the Shorter Catechism"
John Whitecross' "The Shorter Catechism Illustrated"

In addition to the excellent resources available on the Shorter Catechism Project, my own favorite is John Brown of Haddington's Questions and Answers on the Shorter Catechism, known on Google books an An Essay towards an Easy, Plain, Practical, and Extensive Explication of the Assembly's Shorter Catechism. In spite of the title, it does live up to the name, being easy, plain, practical, extensive, and explicative.

What do you think specifically of the usefulness of "The Shorter Catechism Explained From Scripture" by Thomas Vincent?

What do you think specifically of the usefulness of "The Shorter Catechism Explained From Scripture" by Thomas Vincent?

It depends on what the use is. For clear and concise explanation Vincent's is very useful, and has the advantage of being historically close enough to the Catechism to shed light on its intention. For fuller well-rounded catechetical instruction I think John Willison's Example of Plain Catechising is the best. Fisher's explanation is more detailed. Then there are works like Watson's and Boston's which function as a whole body of divinity.

A good friend many years ago gave me An Exposition of the Confession of Faith by Robert Shaw. I have found that useful over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back