Best Edition of Pilgrim's Progress

Discussion in 'Puritan Literature' started by Theoretical, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theoretical

Theoretical Puritan Board Professor

I'm looking to buy a nice edition of the Pilgrim's Progress for my assistant pastor's daughter, who will be 8 soon. She's of the maturity that she would recognize and take care of a nice book.

I've noticed that Banner of Truth has a clothbound edition and and Christian Focus Publications also has a hardbound, both with substantial illustrations fitting for the book. Are these the best editions (outside of some high-end leather editions), and which edition would be the best to get for this intent?

2. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

The one that uses the TR text for the translation. ;)

3. danmpem

danmpem Puritan Board Junior

Hmm, I'm wondering if it's a real cloth-bound, or the hard, fake stuff that's called "cloth-bound", because the publisher doesn't know what else to call it.

The only copy I own is the Barnes & Noble edition, and I love it!

4. SolaGratia

SolaGratia Puritan Board Junior

Dan,

Have you tried the Banner of Truth Pilgrim Progress Edition?

Blessing

5. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

Serious question: has anyone read this book with small children? I read books to my children every night and wanted to know if this might be a good one to add to the list now or wait for a few more years to read to them.

6. lwadkins

lwadkins Puritan Board Junior

:rofl: Are you trying to stir things up Rich! :eek:

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

:lol:

8. Kevin Lewis

Kevin Lewis Puritan Board Freshman

Here are a couple of options from Vision Forum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

I would wait a few years on it. In the A Beka literature series, it is intended for high school. There are quite a few theological discussions in the original edition (which all the dumbed-down versions omit). I highly recommend the Banner of Truth stand-alone edition or Bunyan's three volume works edition (also by Banner of Truth). My best estimate is that, with a bit of work, an intelligent 8-10 year old would understand it. Bunyan is by no means an inherently difficult Puritan like, say, Owen or Goodwin.

10. JM

JM Puritan Board Professor

11. kvanlaan

kvanlaan Puritan Board Doctor

I read it at eight or nine and loved it. Haven't read it since, though...

12. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

:lol:

13. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

My son is ten. We are going through Pilgrim's Progress now. It is slow going, but very beneficial. You will have to stop often and explain much..but if your kids are like mine, they will benefit greatly from the discussion.

14. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

We use the Banner of Truth edition.

15. Blueridge Believer

Blueridge Believer Puritan Board Professor

I have this edition and it is great. has several other of Bunyans' works as well. Also, I have Max Mclean reading it. It's worth the money. He makes it come alive.

16. danmpem

danmpem Puritan Board Junior

No, but it sounds like I might want to. The B&N edition is unabridged and contains lots of scripture in the side-columns as well as footnotes with subtle yet relevant commentary. Is that what the BoT has, or is there something I'm missing out on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.