Best edition of Westminster Confession of Faith and larger/shorter catechism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you get the idea that they all 'subscribed to it as a whole'?
OK, to better convey what I meant, amend to read "...while all of the presbyterian churches subscribed to it as a whole, there were certainly disagreements amongst individual divines on some particulars...".

For a strict subscriptionist, of course. By definition. But I don't think a math textbook is an apt comparison. No sane person disputes that 2+2=4. But all matters theological aren't as neat and tidy as mathematics. A perusal of the assembly's minutes reveals there was considerable dissent on a variety of specific points amongst equally competent and godly divines. So while they all subscribed to it as a whole, there were certainly disagreement on some particulars. That doesn't seem to meet the criteria of being strictly inerrant.

You said, in post 24, that some men considered the Confession infallible. My response is to say they would consider it inerrant.

No. I said some people's stance "de facto" treats them as infallible.

I think it would be more helpful for you to think of them as seeing the Confession is without error, that is, it is inerrant. And they are willing to defend their understanding that it is without error (some having taken vows to that effect) having carefully studied it and its doctrine. I really have not found anyone who approaches the Confession as an infallible document. Not that such men do not exist - there are cranks of all kinds. But I do not think that speaks to the men and women I know who believe it is without any demonstrated error.

While debate rages, I have added a number of editions of both the Westminster Confession and Catechism to my library. I now have four digital editions, two print editions and two more printed editions on order for my wife. I have both original 1647 versions and versions reflecting the amendments adopted by the OPC and PCA. Additionally, I have two commentaries, A Body of Practical Divinity by Thomas Watson and The Reformed Faith: An Exposition Of The Westminster Confession Of Faith By Robert Shaw. On top of that, I have J.V. Fesko's The Theology of the Westminster Standards. Along with my pastor and brothers in Christ, I am participating in a weekly study of the confession, reviewing it line by line, proof text by proof text.

I think I'm good.

Blessings to all.

Last edited:
While debate rages, I have added a number of editions of both the Westminster Confession and Catechism to my library. I now have four digital editions, two print editions and two more printed editions on order for my wife. I have both original 1647 versions and versions reflecting the amendments adopted but the OPC and PCA. Additionally, I have two commentaries, A Body of Practical Divinity by Thomas Watson and The Reformed Faith: An Exposition Of The Westminster Confession Of Faith By Robert Shaw. On top of that, I have J.V. Fesko's The Theology of the Westminster Standards. Along with my pastor and brothers in Christ, I am participating in a weekly study of the confession, reviewing it line by line, proof text by proof text.

I think I'm good.

Blessings to all.
Also not to be missed is: Chad Van Dixhoorn, Confessing the Faith, an incredibly helpful resource.

Also not to be missed is: Chad Van Dixhoorn, Confessing the Faith, an incredibly helpful resource.
Cath,

Reformation Heritage Books has a sale on Chad Van Dixhoorn's Creeds, Confessions, and Catechisms: A Reader's Edition. This is what I purchased for my wife. We are very happy wth it. I'll take a look at his commentary as well.

Thanks!

All, the admins discussed this thread and some immoderately stated remarks, and as a result a group of posts were removed. Apologies that the reason was not given (a notification 'should' have been sent). We are currently having lessons in how to delete posts with notification. I will take the opportunity to pass along from the moderators to stay on track to opening posts and don't take someone's thread off tangent. Also, please double down and ensure that your language is charitable and helpful. I've noted this before that we don't want to bring the zinger nature of short form social media to PB. Also, a couple of your active moderators have been less so due to health and work. Your patience is appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back