Best Meteor Shower of 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to go somewhere where I wouldn't be bothered by the city lights but I'm not sure where that would be since I don't know the rural area around the university very well.

David -- If you have the time and inclination, you could drive north or east away from the Triangle. Most state parks in the area, however, close at 6 pm. You might try the Morehead Planetarium's free skywatching program. They meet once a month for skygazing and it so happens that December's event is on the 14th from 9 pm - 11 pm at Jordan Lake to coincide with the Geminid meteor shower. Details here.

David -- If you have the time and inclination, you could drive north or east away from the Triangle. Most state parks in the area, however, close at 6 pm. You might try the Morehead Planetarium's free skywatching program. They meet once a month for skygazing and it so happens that December's event is on the 14th from 9 pm - 11 pm at Jordan Lake to coincide with the Geminid meteor shower. Details here.

Thanks! Do you think 9 - 11 PM will be late enough to get the good stuff?

Thanks! Do you think 9 - 11 PM will be late enough to get the good stuff?

The peak is supposed to be between 10 pm Thurs., Dec. 13 and dawn on Friday, Dec. 14. I'm not sure how it will go Friday evening, but you might call them and ask what the prognosis is. I think it's likely you'll see some. It should be a good experience -- have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back