Best Modern Preachers

Status
Not open for further replies.

panicbird

Puritan Board Freshman
I think that we may have had a topic similar to this in the past, but I cannot find it. So here we go again (maybe).

Who would you guys and gals say are the best modern preachers? By modern I mean within the last 50 years or so (at least recent enough to have sermons on tape/CD/mp3). Feel free to post a relatively unknown preacher. If you can, post a link to his sermons so that we all might be blessed by the preaching of the word.

Here are some that I am typically blessed by:
John Piper
D. A. Carson
My current pastor, Bruce Wells (no link, sorry)
My former pastor, Lee Tankersley (Cornerstone Community Church - they have quite a few of his sermons online in audio form and even more in manuscript form)

Lon

I'd have to include the Doctor -- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. His sermon series on the Sermon on the Mount, published as [u:179e4be3f9]Studies in the Sermon on the Mount[/u:179e4be3f9], alone probably merit his inclusion on this list.

[quote:c9e6b1ea63="LauridsenL"]I'd have to include the Doctor -- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. His sermon series on the Sermon on the Mount, published as [u:c9e6b1ea63]Studies in the Sermon on the Mount[/u:c9e6b1ea63], alone probably merit his inclusion on this list.[/quote:c9e6b1ea63]

:ditto: :amen:

Check out the The MLJ Recording Trust.

His sermon, "The Acid Test of the Christian Profession," delivered at the 1969 Penacola Theologial Institute in the face of a hurricane was fantastic. For those who were there it was both the content and the timing.

I have enjoyed a number of the famous preachers we can hear on the radio and what not....but I have only heard one person regularly preach the mysteries and wonders of God in Christ powerfully from Scripture:

Pastor Tom Lutz of Edgewood Baptist Church in Anderson, IN.

I have two favorite preachers.

Thad Dowdle (a mountain preacher- he is the academic dean of Fruitland Bible Baptist Institute [most of you have probably never heard of it, but it is in Hendersonville, NC]).

Joel Beeke. He is probably one of the best preachers that I have heard in a long time.

Of course I love my pastors teaching / preaching (Shane Koehler)
[list:814179805e]http://faithcommunitychurch.org[/list:u:814179805e]

After that I love learning from:

John Piper
John MacArthur
RC Sproul (for the most part)

I'll nominate Jerry Crick, a PCA minister in the Greenville, South Carolina area. He is also a professor at Greenville Theological Seminary and Bahnsen Theological Seminary. I have been greatly blessed by his ministry. His preaching is [i:3d458f9c23]par excellence[/i:3d458f9c23]. To God be the glory!

I am going to follow-up and check out those preachers mentioned who I had never heard of before . I am familiar with some of the others . By the way , John Greer is excellent . I used to listen to him on the radio when I lived in the states . I went to hear him also .
I would suggest Dr. Michael Barrett who preaches at a Free Presbyterian church in the Greenville , South Carolina area . He isn't the Pastor , Alan Cairns is , but still Dr. B.'s preaching is top-notch . He teaches at that church's seminary . Formally he taught at Bob Jones . But don't hold that against him , he is quite a gifted man of God . Right now on Sermonaudio.com there are 225 of his sermons you can access , but I think there were almost 600 a little while ago . I do not know why they reduced the number .

[quote:c8482d42a2="Scot"]I enjoy listening to Stephen Hamilton of the Lehigh Valley Free Presbyterian Church in Allentown, PA. You can get tapes of his sermons here:

http://www.lehighfree.org/[/quote:c8482d42a2]

:amen: to that. I am always blessed by his sermons, despite the accent...

Although they are more like biographical exhortations than sermons, the preaching of the Rev. Iain Murray is topnotch.

www.sermonaudio.com[/url]

You have nominated many great men to the list. I would concur with most... such as The Doctor - MLJ. A must listen to / must read for all christians.

I had the privilege of hearing Dr. MacArthur, Dr. Sproul and Dr. Al Mohler at the Grace Church Shepherds Conference two weeks ago. After Mohler preached on The Foolishness of the Cross from 1 Cor 1 - I am compelled to nominate his name to the list.

I also LOVE to be under the teaching of my current Senior Pastor, A Irish Baptist man, Philip DeCourcy. Hear him at our church website... www.emmanualbaptist.com

How Reformed?

How reformed this guys are varied, but I loved listening to these folks pre-reformed and I still do:

Johnny Mac
R.C. Sproul
and
Allister Bage(?)

Is Allister reformed?I know about R.C. and Johnny "Dispensational" Mac, but not sure about Allister.

:ditto: to Rick. though I've only heard him [Martin] preach once in person and have only sampled a little bit of what else is out there.

Originally posted by Rick Larson
In my humble opinion, considering preachers still living, no one seems to equal the articulate expression and passion of Albert Martin

Oops, sorry, didn't see your post before I posted my other one. A Brother just last week was telling me to check out Al Martin. I'm sure glad I did. Have you listened to any of his sermons on Evangelism yet?

Originally posted by Rick Larson
In my humble opinion, considering preachers still living, no one seems to equal the articulate expression and passion of Albert Martin

Al Martin actually severed the retina in one of his eyes during a passionate sermon. He actually had to lie face down for about 6 weeks following the event or risk blindness.

Alister Begg. I think he's Presbyterian, but he speaks at non-reformed events, I've heard him on Focus on the Family & last summer he was a reader(?) at the 2004 Keswick Convention or else someone else has his name! Hmmm...well now, what were we doing there?

Originally posted by turmeric
Alister Begg. I think he's Presbyterian, but he speaks at non-reformed events, I've heard him on Focus on the Family & last summer he was a reader(?) at the 2004 Keswick Convention or else someone else has his name! Hmmm...well now, what were we doing there?

He's Reformed Baptist. He debated Sproul on the subject of baptism at a Ligoneir conference a couple of years ago.

I agree with two others here...Stephen Hamilton is top notch. His sermons on Calvinism and the Doctrines of Grace clinched it for me when I was sorting out the scriptures.

Begg is pastor at Parkside Church near East Cleveland, Ohio. It's an independent non-denom baptistic church...a "mega-church" for all intents and purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back