Best OT/NT Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
What are the best recommendations anyone has for the best solid OT/NT Overview (for teaching purposes)? Thanks!!

I haven't read either of them, but they have been on my want list for a couple of decades. Gleason Archer's A Survey of Old Testament Introduction was highly regarded years ago, and has quite a few 5 star reviews on Amazon, as does his collaboration with R. Laird Harris, and Bruce K. Waltke, Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament. Also with many stellar reviews.
I have both of those works, and indeed, have used both of them a lot in my studies in the OT books...

A really good NT introduction was by Donald Guthrie, but don't know if still being published and available.

I have both of those works, and indeed, have used both of them a lot in my studies in the OT books...

A really good NT introduction was by Donald Guthrie, but don't know if still being published and available.
Yeah. one of these days I'm going to pick up one or both. I've also heard good things about Donald Guthrie's NT Intro.

Even if a book is out of print, ABEbook, or Bookfinder, not to mention Amazon, usually have used copies for sale.

I have the NT Intro by Carson, Moo, and Morris. Really good reference book.

Yeah. one of these days I'm going to pick up one or both. I've also heard good things about Donald Guthrie's NT Intro.

Even if a book is out of print, ABEbook, or Bookfinder, not to mention Amazon, usually have used copies for sale.

I have the NT Intro by Carson, Moo, and Morris. Really good reference book.
The best OT introduction book I have read was by RK Harrison, Introduction to the Old testament, but was around 1300 pages, and was not a light read.

The best OT introduction book I have read was by RK Harrison, Introduction to the Old testament, but was around 1300 pages, and was not a light read.
Thanks for the reminder, that is another OT Intro that I had heard of, read good things on, and was/is highly recommended. So many books ... so little time & money :banghead:

Thanks for the reminder, that is another OT Intro that I had heard of, read good things on, and was/is highly recommended. So many books ... so little time & money :banghead:
I believe was written in late 1960's, revised 1970's, so dated in some areas, but really does a great job in refuting higher critical criticisms of the OT. He held to solid conservative views in regards to dates and authorship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back