Featured Best OT/NT Overview

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by JTB.SDG, Jan 3, 2019.

1. JTB.SDG

JTB.SDG Puritan Board Freshman

What are the best recommendations anyone has for the best solid OT/NT Overview (for teaching purposes)? Thanks!!

2. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. mgkortus

mgkortus Puritan Board Freshman

4. JimmyH

JimmyH Puritan Board Junior

5. SolaScriptura

SolaScriptura Puritanboard Softy

Hendriksen’s Survey of the Bible is a good intro.

6. Dachaser

Dachaser Puritan Board Professor

I have both of those works, and indeed, have used both of them a lot in my studies in the OT books...

A really good NT introduction was by Donald Guthrie, but don't know if still being published and available.

7. JimmyH

Yeah. one of these days I'm going to pick up one or both. I've also heard good things about Donald Guthrie's NT Intro.

Even if a book is out of print, ABEbook, or Bookfinder, not to mention Amazon, usually have used copies for sale.

I have the NT Intro by Carson, Moo, and Morris. Really good reference book.

8. Dachaser

The best OT introduction book I have read was by RK Harrison, Introduction to the Old testament, but was around 1300 pages, and was not a light read.

9. JimmyH

Thanks for the reminder, that is another OT Intro that I had heard of, read good things on, and was/is highly recommended. So many books ... so little time & money :banghead:

10. Dachaser

I believe was written in late 1960's, revised 1970's, so dated in some areas, but really does a great job in refuting higher critical criticisms of the OT. He held to solid conservative views in regards to dates and authorship!

11. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

Archer's attack on JEDP is about as good as it gets. He also knew around 12 languages.

12. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

EJ Young has an OT intro as well. He knew 20+ languages.

13. Dachaser

I really liked that he supported conservative viewpoints in regards to history, authorship, and inspiration of the OT, as did Harrison.