Best Reformed Presbyterian Commentaries on the Synoptic Gospels

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertPGH1981

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello All,

I am looking for solid commentaries on the Synoptic Gospels rooted in reformed theology. This would be primarily focused on Matthew, Mark, & Luke. What would you say are the best Reformed Commentaries, and if possible, Reformed Presbyterian commentaries?

Thank you,

Rob

J. A. Alexander on Mark is good. He has a good commentary on Matthew, too, but it's incomplete. David Dickson wrote a good commentary on Matthew.

Recommendations depend on what other commentaries you have and you want it for preaching or self understanding? Do you need those that interact with Greek?

I am writing an Exegesis Paper for Seminary and I am looking for Greek assistance from an RP perspective. I have a lot of exegetical commentaries but none of them are RP.

Robert, there are very few RP commentaries on the Synoptics that focus on the Greek text. You can, however, use non-technical commentaries in an exegesis paper. This would broaden your possibilities by quite a large margin. In addition to the excellent ones already noted, include also for your consideration Ryken on Luke, Doriani on Matthew, Sproul on Matthew, Mark, and Luke, Hendriksen (though note Carson's criticisms precisely in the matter of the Greek), Ferguson on Mark, and John Brown's set on the Discourses and Sayings of Our Lord (3 volumes).

@greenbaggins Very helpful, I haven't thought about using Sproul's commentary. I was checking it out and it was decent. Thanks for the reminder.

@Polanus1561 I have the mentor and boice series in logos, so quick win! I will need to check our library to see if the other volumes exist.

Any other recommendations?

David Dickson is the only "Covenanter" commentary I know of. I just started preaching on Matthew and here is what I have found helpful:

R.T France (NICOTHNT)
WIlliam Hendriksen
David Brown "The Fourfold Gospels"
The Exegetical Guide to the Greek New Testament on Matthew is fine, but not the best of that series I've used.

Then you have your standard sets - don't dismiss Matthew Henry/Poole, Calvin and Lenski.

I've just ordered Sproul, having browsed it on Amazon - I'd say it will be useful.

I've not found that much that is useful for application.

Spurgeon wrote an interesting commentary on Matthew.
David Dickson is the only "Covenanter" commentary I know of. I just started preaching on Matthew and here is what I have found helpful:

R.T France (NICOTHNT)
WIlliam Hendriksen
David Brown "The Fourfold Gospels"
The Exegetical Guide to the Greek New Testament on Matthew is fine, but not the best of that series I've used.

Then you have your standard sets - don't dismiss Matthew Henry/Poole, Calvin and Lenski.

I've just ordered Sproul, having browsed it on Amazon - I'd say it will be useful.

I've not found that much that is useful for application.

Hey Robert,
I've been preaching through Matthew and I'd echo what has already been said. I mainly use R.T France and Hendriksen, but supplement with Ryle. Depending on your passage Thomas Watson has a lot of gems in Matthew - Lord's Prayer, Sermon on the Mount, etc.

RT France is not conservative enough nor has the scholarship to mitigate his flaws. My two cents.

Do check out the ZECNT series

ChatGPT's answer:

1. "The Synoptic Gospels" by D.A. Carson
  2. "Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament: Matthew" by Grant R. Osborne
  3. "Reformed Expository Commentary: Mark" by Richard D. Phillips
  4. "John: An Exegetical and Theological Exposition of Holy Scripture" by Thomas R. Schreiner
  5. "The Gospel According to Luke" by James B. Hurley
Note, this is only for interest's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back