Best resources on Aquinas

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I am about 1/3 of the way through Thomas' Summa Theologiae. I have a fairly decent understanding of what he is getting at. What are some good commentaries/reference works on Thomas Aquinas? I've read Peter Kreeft's Summa of the Summa. It's okay, though Kreeft avoids most of the difficult questions and doesn't deal with Thomas' teaching on predestination.

Wow. I could never bring myself to read that much Aquinas, and I had grad school classes on him. (I'm not a big fan of high scholasticism.) I do have a decent bibliography, though:

Thomas O'Meara, Thomas Aquinas: Theologian is perhaps the best single volume overview of Thomas' life and thought, but may be broader than what you want.

Jean-Pierre Torrell, Aquinas's Summa should be a starting point for specifically ST-related issues.

John Wippell, The Metaphysical Thought of Thomas Aquinas -- self-explanatory

Gilles Emery, Trinity in Aquinas - and you can check out his The Trinity for a contemporary Catholic approach.

Rudi Te Veldi, Aquinas on God is a very enlightening monograph based on close reading of ST.

I should also mention some older sources:

Etienne Gilson, The Christian Philosophy of St Thomas Aquinas

Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange has a whole commentary set on ST, but I don't remember the names. I'm sure you can find them easily enough.

Bernard Lonergan has several works that interact with Thomas.

It might also be worth looking at some of the 20th century creative elaborations of Thomism, such as those by Jacques Maritain and Karl Rahner.

I've read Gilson and Coplestone. I keep seeing Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange's name. I might check him out. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back