• Covenant Theological Seminary

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Knox Theological Seminary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid-America Reformed Seminary

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Westminster Seminary California

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Westminster Theological Seminary Philly.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary

• Whitefield Theological seminary

• Trinity Evangelical Divinity School

• Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reformed Theological Seminary - Jackson

• Reformed Theological Seminary - Orlando

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Reformed Theological Seminary - Charlotte

• The Master's Seminary

• Protestant Reformed Theological School

• Erskine Theological Seminary

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Tick

Puritan Board Graduate
Ok, I thought I would bring back the seminary poll again. I don't know how long it's been maybe a year or so. What are your thoughts in regards to seminaries in the US. What is the best seminary? What seminary would you support and why? Are there any schools you would avoid?

Are we going to make this a poll?

Here are my top:
Puritan Reformed
Mid-America Reformed
Greenville Presbyterian
WTS-PA

Yes, I would like to. I messed up the poll because there were more seminaries I wanted to list then the initial 6 that I had.

Can a Mod help us reset the poll to list the following seminaries?

Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
Dallas Theological Seminary
Puritan Reformed Seminary
Covenant Theological Seminary
Knox Theological Seminary
Mid-America Reformed Seminary
Reformed Theological Seminary
Westminster Seminary California
Westminster Theological Seminary Philly.
Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Whitefield Theological seminary

Ok, I thought I would bring back the seminary poll again. I don't know how long it's been maybe a year or so. What are your thoughts in regards to seminaries in the US. What is the best seminary? What seminary would you support and why? Are there any schools you would avoid?

In regards to most seminaries, it seems that they are sliding down that slippery slope to total liberalism.

I have been investigating seminaries recently because, as I mentioned on the Prayer forum, I am trying to sort out whether God is calling me to the ministry. If He is, I want to receive training from a seminary with the following criteria: thoroughly Reformed teaching with an emphasis on pastoral excellence; capable, godly, friendly, passionate faculty; and affordability (i.e. don't want to have to go deep into debt).

In light of those criteria, I would advocate Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary. It is Truly Reformed, the faculty truly cares about its students, and, if your church will support the seminary with $2,500 per year for four years, doesn't cost you a dime in tuition (at least this is what I gathered from their catalog).

With GPTS being in first, Westminster Seminary California is my second choice. Wide variety of students from solidly Reformed denominations and spectacular faculty make this seminary another "winner" in my book. I hope to visit the campus in January when I attend their conference on Calvin's legacy. In my humble opinion, the only thing that bugs me about WSC is that the combined cost of tuition with the cost of living is so high. I've heard the adage, "You get what you pay for," but how can a student going there avoid going into debt?

In reference to schools I would avoid, shun Fuller like the plague! (Sorry in advance Mr. McFadden!) Also avoid any schools that teach dispensationalism. It truly is too bad the The Master's Seminary is dispensational because I've heard they produce fine preachers. My pastor (PCA) went to DTS back in the seventies without any noticeable side effects (pre-trib rapture, for example-:lol:), and there are still some fine professors there (e.g. John Hannah), but it's dispensationalism combined with outrageous tuition costs totally destroy, in my opinion, the case for going there.

Also, it's too bad there are no reformed seminaries in South Texas. :(

I added a couple more just because they DO have some reformed scholars working at their schools. If for no other reason, they offer a point of comparison.

Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary should be at the top of anyone's list looking to attend Seminary.

How is PRTS distinctive from other seminaries? I have thoroughly combed their website and catalog, but since you went there, what, in your opinion, is the best thing about PRTS?

I think you mean RPTS....

PRTS is Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary (which is the finest seminary today in my opinion).

Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary should be at the top of anyone's list looking to attend Seminary.

How is PRTS distinctive from other seminaries? I have thoroughly combed their website and catalog, but since you went there, what, in your opinion, is the best thing about PRTS?

PRTS is Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary (which is the finest seminary today in my opinion).

Whoops! Thanks! Yeah, I meant RPTS! Oh phooey! You all know what I meant.

I hear a lot of great things about PRTS as well. My question is: What makes PRTS one of the finest seminaries? What seperates it from say GPTS and Westminster California? Lord willing if I do attend seminary these are my three choices.

RPTS is the denominational Seminary of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America. You will find superb professors who teach with a love for the Lord that is palpable. Also daily chapel with the Psalms is refreshing beyond explanation.

In regards to most seminaries, it seems that they are sliding down that slippery slope to total liberalism.

I have been investigating seminaries recently because, as I mentioned on the Prayer forum, I am trying to sort out whether God is calling me to the ministry. If He is, I want to receive training from a seminary with the following criteria: thoroughly Reformed teaching with an emphasis on pastoral excellence; capable, godly, friendly, passionate faculty; and affordability (i.e. don't want to have to go deep into debt).

In light of those criteria, I would advocate Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary. It is Truly Reformed, the faculty truly cares about its students, and, if your church will support the seminary with $2,500 per year for four years, doesn't cost you a dime in tuition (at least this is what I gathered from their catalog).

With GPTS being in first, Westminster Seminary California is my second choice. Wide variety of students from solidly Reformed denominations and spectacular faculty make this seminary another "winner" in my book. I hope to visit the campus in January when I attend their conference on Calvin's legacy. In my humble opinion, the only thing that bugs me about WSC is that the combined cost of tuition with the cost of living is so high. I've heard the adage, "You get what you pay for," but how can a student going there avoid going into debt?

In reference to schools I would avoid, shun Fuller like the plague! (Sorry in advance Mr. McFadden!) Also avoid any schools that teach dispensationalism. It truly is too bad the The Master's Seminary is dispensational because I've heard they produce fine preachers. My pastor (PCA) went to DTS back in the seventies without any noticeable side effects (pre-trib rapture, for example-:lol:), and there are still some fine professors there (e.g. John Hannah), but it's dispensationalism combined with outrageous tuition costs totally destroy, in my opinion, the case for going there.

Also, it's too bad there are no reformed seminaries in South Texas. :(

What about North Texas? Dallas. WTS has a very good extension campus here.

I'm surprised DTS is there, but TMS isn't. But, I'm probably a bit prejudiced in my opinion. Given the choices, I'd probably go Southern.

I edited the poll to include the three "major" branches of RTS as well (rather than RTS in general as just one listing), since they have significant differences.

Doesn't WTS Dallas come with the same price tag as Westminster Philly? Also, what professors are at WTS Dallas?

The price tag is the same but if you are under care of your presbytery, you can apply for a scholarship that usually covers about 40 per cent of the tuition for full time status. ( 12 credit hours). The professors we have are:

Dr. Sinclair Ferguson- Systematics
Dr. Adrian Smith- New Testament
Dr. Douglas Gropp- Old Testament
Dr. John Hannah, Dr. Peter Liliback(sometimes)-Church History
Rev. Elliott Greene- Biblical Languages (in my opinion the best language prof around)

For the other required classes and various electives, we use professors from the main campus and adjunct people that live in the area.

It is a very small school. There are positives and negatives. The main positive is that you can develop closer relationships with the profs you may not be able to at bigger schools.

Check into it.

It's way too hard to pick just one...i would say that my top 5 would be...

Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Puritan Reformed Seminary
Covenant Theological Seminary
Westminster Theological Seminary Philly.
Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary

I hear a lot of great things about PRTS as well. My question is: What makes PRTS one of the finest seminaries? What seperates it from say GPTS and Westminster California? Lord willing if I do attend seminary these are my three choices.

I would say a number of reasons:

1) Professors - Dr. Beeke, Dr. Bilkes and Dr. David Murray are excellent teachers. These three men are the "full-time" professors. But you also have a huge list of the different visiting professors. Men such as Sinclair Ferguson, Cornelius Pronk, etc. They have chosen some of the most qualified men to teach on the various courses.

2) Emphases - Two of their main emphases are reformed experiential preaching (http://www.frcna.org/Data/StudentSo...Experiential Preaching - Dr Joel R. Beeke.pdf ) and the practical aspect of pastoral ministry. I have listened to a number of lectures by Dr. Beeke and some of the other professors and the practical wisdom they give is worth everything.

3) Heritage - They are in the lineage of the Puritan heritage. And if you are in agreement that the puritans of the 16th/17th century are the high water mark of Reformed Christianity, then you will be in agreement here.

4) Curriculum - Their curriculum is 127 credit hours for the M.Div. Having compared many of the different seminaries course structures I do not see a curriculum that will better prepare a man for the ministry. They are strong in nearly every area: languages, practical theology, systematics, homiletics, etc

5) Resources - Aside from the resources you have in the professors (and Dr. Beeke himself) they have a large library (I believe 40,000 books), a seperate Puritan Research center (containing many archaic original volumes), and students have access to Calvin Theological Library (very close and they have about 700,000 volumes!).

Those are the top reasons off the top of my head. I have really been researching seminaries lately and as you can see, I am definitively in favor of PRTS.

Probably about 100 or so. As I said it is a very small school. Talk to Brandon Eggar at the other PCA church in SA and Aaron Scott, church planter in San Marcos. They are both graduates from WTS Dallas. Aaron is a dear friend and tell him I referred you to him.

Last edited:
I vote for Southern. Great school. Great profs. Unrivaled library. Walking in Mohler's personal library is worth a year's tuition.

If you're a Reformed Baptist - or even just a "soteriologically Calvinistic Baptist" - there is really no other school you should consider. This is The One.

Even if you're Presbyterian - you'll get a great education, your views will be tested against some of the best Baptist minds, and you'll come out knowing more about Baptist History than most Baptists. (Here's a hint, I can sum up Dr. Nettles' class in one sentence: "Historically speaking, all good Baptists are Calvinists.")

I took classes at Protestant Reformed and my alma mater is Puritan Seminary. I plan on doing the D Min at Reformed Presbyterian Seminary, Lord willing.

I would not recommend Protestant Reformed unless that is your denomination. It seems that their distinctives are front and center. At Puritan you have the breadth and width of the Experiential Reformed tradition and come to appreciate men from other denominations. It is quite ecumenical in the biblical sense. Nothing sectarian about it. I had a great experience there! My pastor went to WTS Philly in the late 70s. He calls Puritan Seminary 'what he thought he was going to get at WTS'. It is a good school.

Of course, we will all vote for either our alma maters or our denominational institutions! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back