Best Single-Volume Church History Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycheives

Puritan Board Freshman
Please help. I'm looking for the best single-volume church history books to recommend to lay Christians. Please share any comments/feedback about the list below. Would you recommend any other books? Thank you! :)

1) Ferguson, Beeke, Haykin, Church History 101: the Highlights of 20 Centuries (99 pages)
2) Renwick and Harman, Story of the Church (~212 pages)
3) Christopher Catherwood, Church History: A Crash Course for the Curious (~227 pages)
4) Sidney Houghton, Sketches from Church History: An Illustrated Account of 20 Centuries of Christ’s Power (~256 pages)
5) Mark Noll, Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity (~315 pages)
6) Earle Cairns, Christianity Through the Centuries: A History of the Christian Church
7) B.K. Kuiper, The Church in History (~420 pages)

I do not know if this fits your criteria, but another book worth checking might be:

J.N.D. Kelly, Early Christian Doctrines

You've assembled a good list so far!

2 possible additions: Shelley's Church History in Plain Language, or Stanford Murrell's A Glorious Institution (2 vols, but they're very thin -- perhaps 100 pgs each).

BK Kuiper's book is good for a lay audience. It qualifies as an easy read (it is written as a text book for the junior high level).

I would also recommend: A History of the Christian Church by Williston Walker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back