Best Super Bowl ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSilverMoon

Puritan Board Senior
For those of you who watched the game (on either side) do you share my view that this was the best Super Bowl in history?

Consider, the great QB play by both teams, the key defensive stops, especially Arizona's safety and stopping Big Ben on the 1 foot line early on, the come from behind rally by the Cardinals topped by Fitzgerald's amazing TD run, the last drive by the Steelers, the catch by Holmes, and of course, the amazing interception return as time expired in the 1st half. That makes for one amazing game.

Any other thoughts?

A big IF....

IF THE CARDS HAD WON...I'd agree....since they lost, I'll have to rank it right behind next years when they win.

Nope. Not at all. I was pretty disinterested until I saw the ridiculous way the Steeler players were behaving... slugging and fighting like thugs. Yes, the Cards had their share of penalties, but theirs were mainly just stupid playing. The Steelers were completely disgusting in their conduct. If I were a Steeler fan, I'd want them to forfeit the title out of shame.

This game finally convinced me that I shouldn't watch NFL football. The whole scene was one of godlessness, the commercials would have put Sodom to shame, and the glorification of sin permeated throughout.

I had started not to watch it, but decided the argument for sundown to sundown Sabbath made it acceptable. What a mistake, and I am not even a Sabbatarian - made that exception when joining my Church.

I'm not sure it was the best in history, but it certainly was exciting. I was pleased that both teams (especially the QBs) played well. I do have to say that this game must have been pretty good because my wife sat down and watched it with me (which had never happened before).

I tend to agree with Brad with regard to the commercials. 2 Pet. 2:8 came to mind several times.

As for the game, I do believe that considering the game changing 100 yd INT TD by Harrison at the end of the first half as well as the 4th quarter that it is one of the best Super Bowls ever. Hard to say whether it's better overall than a few of the other close ones like the 49ers comeback against the Bengals 20 years ago, Norwood's wide right vs. the Giants or Super Bowl XIII with the Cowboys and Steelers. Some of the blowouts of the past were great too, like the Redskins 35 point 2nd quarter against the Broncos, although that wouldn't qualify since "greatest games" are usually thought of as close games. (But sometimes nothing is better than a blowout if you are rooting for the winning team.) One thing is for sure, all 3 Super Bowls Warner has played in have come right down to the wire.

Last edited:
Nope. Not at all. I was pretty disinterested until I saw the ridiculous way the Steeler players were behaving... slugging and fighting like thugs. Yes, the Cards had their share of penalties, but theirs were mainly just stupid playing. The Steelers were completely disgusting in their conduct. If I were a Steeler fan, I'd want them to forfeit the title out of shame.

This game finally convinced me that I shouldn't watch NFL football. The whole scene was one of godlessness, the commercials would have put Sodom to shame, and the glorification of sin permeated throughout.

I had started not to watch it, but decided the argument for sundown to sundown Sabbath made it acceptable. What a mistake, and I am not even a Sabbatarian - made that exception when joining my Church.

Yes, commercials were awful.

Your analysis of the Steelers' thug-like behavior is way off, though.
Seriously, what game were you watching?

We are not big football fans,and almost never watch the games,however a friend of ours sent us a video of the Cardinals QB giving a testimony for Jesus Christ at the Super Bowl and that sparked an intrest to watch,and wow very exciting game very enjoyable and we foung ourselves rooting (and praying) for Kurt, for God to be Glorified by his testimony in front of a ton of peoples,thinking maybe he will praise God as His Lord on tv for all to see.hoping to just see God magnified!.some of the commercials were really funny.But one in particular deeply bothered me and my wife,anyway this was about the game it was the best we've seen,though we probably wouldnt have watched it it werent for Kurt

During the game we foung out that Rothliesburger professes Christ as his Saviour which made it a funny on who to root for,anyway ultimately we root for God just like everyone else here

Here's Kurt's testimony story from the Super Bowl

[video=youtube;-N1YQM7ssP0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N1YQM7ssP0[/video]

Grace and Peace to you

In all fairness, James Harrison punching that guy on the punt was pretty out of line. I agree with Madden, he certainly could have been ejected. It's one thing to get in a shoving match with a guy your size, but to punch a guy half your size on a punt return - while you're pinning him on the ground no less - is just completely unnecessary.

Having said that, I don't consider the actions of the Steelers' as a whole "thuggish." There is trash talk on nearly every play in NFL and college football, along with some pushing and shoving in virtually every game. Football is by nature an extremely emotional and violent sport. Getting caught up in the play and going overboard happens to even the classiest players. I'm not saying that as an excuse, because what Harrison did was wrong. But just because someone went a little over the edge in an intense Super Bowl, I wouldn't consider their actions to be thug-like.

In all fairness, James Harrison punching that guy on the punt was pretty out of line. I agree with Madden, he certainly could have been ejected. It's one thing to get in a shoving match with a guy your size, but to punch a guy half your size on a punt return - while you're pinning him on the ground no less - is just completely unnecessary.

Having said that, I don't consider the actions of the Steelers' as a whole "thuggish." There is trash talk on nearly every play in NFL and college football, along with some pushing and shoving in virtually every game. Football is by nature an extremely emotional and violent sport. Getting caught up in the play and going overboard happens to even the classiest players. I'm not saying that as an excuse, because what Harrison did was wrong. But just because someone went a little over the edge in an intense Super Bowl, I wouldn't consider their actions to be thug-like.

I can count on my fingers(with some left over) the number of guys who aren't thugs in the NFL. I love football, but James Harrison's actions, and Ike Taylor punching the receiver on the sideline, increases my opinion that the majority of NFL players are just a bunch of wack jobs, who, if they weren't playing football, would be out causing chaos on the streets(e.g. Pacman Jones, Terrel Owens, Jeremy Shocky, ect...).

In regards to the OP, it was a good game, but not as good as the Giants upsetting the Patriots last year. And I dislike both of those teams!

And the commercials!? God have mercy on the nation that is entertained by those.

I can count on my fingers(with some left over) the number of guys who aren't thugs in the NFL. I love football, but James Harrison's actions, and Ike Taylor punching the receiver on the sideline, increases my opinion that the majority of NFL players are just a bunch of wack jobs, who, if they weren't playing football, would be out causing chaos on the streets(e.g. Pacman Jones, Terrel Owens, Jeremy Shocky, ect...).

In regards to the OP, it was a good game, but not as good as the Giants upsetting the Patriots last year. And I dislike both of those teams!

And the commercials!? God have mercy on the nation that is entertained by those.

How many NFL players do you personally know? You must know a majority of them if you can make the comment above that most of them are thugs.
Terry

How many NFL players do you personally know? You must know a majority of them if you can make the comment above that most of them are thugs.
Terry

How many terrorists do I have to personally know to know what kind of people they are? None. Man will be judged by his actions...:2cents:

Ian,
I guess the ability to judge peoples character without knowing anything about them must be a gift you have.
Terry

Terry

How many terrorists do I have to personally know to know what kind of people they are? None. Man will be judged by his actions...:2cents:

That analogy doesn't work. The title "terrorists" define the group as committing horrible acts. The title "football player" defines the group as playing football. So, yea, you need more proof than the bad behavior of a few.

I'm NOT accusing anyone on this board but I think we need to be careful to so quickly call football players a bunch of thugs. It could be perceived (perhaps correctly) as being racist, despite the inclusion of a few white people in the group. I know from personal experience that people are often too quick to judge the behavior of an African American's as thuggish. :worms:

Love must certainly be blind, because I don't remember seeing or hearing about any punches during the game what-so-ever, and there were two???

I am going to go look for commentary on this, so I might be back!

EDIT: Yeah, Harrison was rotten!! I did not catch that last night. Ouch. Not cool.
I'm glad it cost us, then.
The Ike punch, while wrong and stupid, didn't really look all that much like a punch. More like a belittling slap, or something.
But, it was also a penalty.

Last edited:
That Tenn-St. Louis Super Bowl in 99(?) was pretty good. I also was only 12 at the time and so that might have had something to do with it :). This was a good one though!

Most of the first half was average.
I regret that I watched the halftime show with Springsteen.
Then the second half was very exciting.
I think pregame hype is killing the Super Bowl.
Nothing can live up to an eight hour intro.

ok I was busy during a lot of the game and the commercials but I didn't see any aweful commercials (well except the one that spoofed MacGyver) the ones I did see all had animals in them... I liked the Buwiser one with the dog fetching the stick so the Clydesdale runs off and brings back a log.. showoff... cracked me up. Oh and I saw the Transformers 2 commercial... I can't wait.

ok I was busy during a lot of the game and the commercials but I didn't see any aweful commercials (well except the one that spoofed MacGyver) the ones I did see all had animals in them... I liked the Buwiser one with the dog fetching the stick so the Clydesdale runs off and brings back a log.. showoff... cracked me up. Oh and I saw the Transformers 2 commercial... I can't wait.

MacGruber!!

I'm not trying to throw cold water, but I think Kurt Warner's 'testimony' (and every NFL player who points heavenward after scoring) would be count more if he announced he was giving up Lord's Day professional football to honor the Triune God by keeping the Lord's Day holy unto the Lord. But I guess he hasn't read the Westminster Confession of Faith lately (Chapter XXI), or Scripture for that matter.

I attended a great Saturday college football game between UVA and Maryland in Charlottesville in October, and am living quite well without football on the Lord's Day.

P.S. This isn't a Christian liberty issue.

P.P.S. How 'bout those FL Gators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back