Votes: 13 10.3%
  • John Brown of Haddington

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Who do you think has written the best systematic theology. I go for Robert Reymond (while not agreeing with everything he says), with Louis Berkhof a close second. :berkhof:

I voted for a Brakel: theological precision and pious warmth. Calvin would come a close second though.

As for the others I have read small(er) portions of their work so when I get around to reading them I may change my mind but I doubt it.

I agree with Poimen. Brakel is theologically precise and warmth. I think Turretin comes second, Calvin in third, John Brown of Haddington in fourth and Berkhof in fifth.

Calvin all the way. If I were to need one book from my library with my Bible for the rest of my life, it'd be The Institutes. Grudem is definitely up there, and I find his systematic accurate on almost all accounts (I'd disagree with his historic pre-mil position), and I think he's written it in such a way that is easily accessible by the layman reader.

I haven't read all of them, so my vote is only comparing those i have read. Here's the order i would put them from best to not best...

Charles Hodge
Robert Reymond
John Calvin
Louis Berkhof
Wayne Grudem

Robert Reymond would be #1 if he was more extensive in his work. He is right on theologically.

Charles Hodge is #1 because he is both theologically sound and has an extensive work covering many theological issues.

I have a soft spot for Calvin, but i enjoy volume 1 more than 2...i don't agree with some of his theological stances on ecclesiology, Sabbath keeping, etc. But he has a really wonderful writing style, and he was the first Reformed systematic theology that a read.

Berkhof is great because he is very easy to understand even when he tackles some tough subjects.

Grudem is also writes in a very accessible way, but his theology is not in line with mine on a few issues.

I did not vote.

I have only read Reymond's and have referenced Calvin, Berkhof, and Grudem. As soon as I read or reference them all I will vote ;)

Herman Bavinck's three volume set has been highly recommended by friends of mine who attend Westminster (East).

Have you really read all of these Systematics? The young men on PB never cease to amaze me! I hope y'all set the world on fire! (You'll have to do it without me because I will never catch up with you guys)

Ames
Bavinck
Witsius
and maybe G C Berkouwer

O, come on Daniel. You are a secret Barth-ophile. Admit it. You probably harbor a longing to luxuriate in the logic defying contradictions of his dialetical thinking.

Frankly, I would unseat Berkouwer. His 14 volumes are worth having and reading, but I disagree with his wimping out on Scripture. Yes, Ames should be added along with Bavinck.

Berkhof is a master of communicating Reformed theology in an organized and relatively concise fashion (1 volume!).

Calvin would be a given if for no other reasons than historical. However, what a goldmine!

I like Shedd and appreciate the updating of him by Biola's Gomes. He is one of the finest systematics ever produced and certainly better than anything produced by "modern evangelicals" (Gomes). Plus, it is available in Libronix format!

Hodge was a stand-by in college and seminary, although I disagree with him on a few issues (e.g., antiquity of the earth).

Reymond is probably the best of the modern Reformed theologies.

Dabney is a classic, if for no other reason than to think of Jacob and his fascination with confederate hero types.

John Gill was a BAPTIST; of course he should be on the list. I consider him somewhat hyper, but don't want to get into a fight on that one here.

Grudem has done a great service to the Christian community by writing a compendium of just about everything the Bible teaches, organized into clear and concise topics. Technical scholars fault him for thinking theology is "merely" a collection of proof texts strung together without an overt philosophy. But, it has sold more than 200,000 copies and has introduced Reformed thought to many. Plus, he is an historical pre-mill!!!

McMahon's ravings induced me to get Turretin. In seminary, Jack Rogers made him out to be the devil. McMahon's material convinced me that he was the missing link in my theological pedigree. What a precise writer!

Wilhelm a Brakel and John Brown are two I have not used much, but look forward to reading.

And, almost all of these are in either Libronix or Cross digital format. :banana::banana::banana:

I voted Reymond because I am halfway through him and just over halfway through Calvin. I find Reymond clear, concise, and nice to read.

Have you really read all of these Systematics? The young men on PB never cease to amaze me! I hope y'all set the world on fire! (You'll have to do it without me because I will never catch up with you guys)

I have only read three from cover-to-cover (Calvin, Berkhof, Reymond) and have referred to others.

Could commentaries on catechisms ever be thought as being a sort of systematic theology? I mean, Ridgley's work reads like a systematic theology . . it's just arranged according to question and answer, much like Turretin. Why not Ursinus? Then there's Bullinger's Decades -- do they count? How about Hodge's Outlines? :think: We certainly are not in lack regarding dogmatic theologies in the Reformed tradition!

Could commentaries on catechisms ever be thought as being a sort of systematic theology? I mean, Ridgley's work reads like a systematic theology . . it's just arranged according to question and answer, much like Turretin. Why not Ursinus? Then there's Bullinger's Decades -- do they count? How about Hodge's Outlines? :think: We certainly are not in lack regarding dogmatic theologies in the Reformed tradition!

We have to draw the line somewhere. ;)

Daniel! You left off Feminist Systematic Theologies.

Do they have any! :scratch:

Actually, no. They do have systematic theologians by the bucket, none very orthodox in my experience. In your neck of the woods, however, Pamela Sue Anderson at Oxford is probably the most renown (although she is more of a philosopher of religion than a theologian).

Never heard of her; and I can't say that causes me much concern. :cool:

Reymond is certainly my favorite. I sat under his teaching at Knox and he is very pastoral in his approach to systematics. I along with Daniel would vote for Berkhof as a second. Many of the others are good ones that I would recommend. I have only read and studied these two, of course all with Calvin.

I must admit that I am surprised that Calvin and Berkhof aren't ranking higher in the polls. I'm also surprised that Reymond is currently ranked #1. It was never required reading for any of my ST courses at WSC or WTS.

For those who rate it #1, I'm curious as to what specific contributions his "New" ST makes, that makes it more preferable than say Calvin or Berkhof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back