Votes: 13 10.3%
  • Wilhelm a Brakel

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • John Brown of Haddington

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones I own are Charles Hodge, Berkhof, Calvin, Erickson, Thiessen, Chafer, Grudem, J. P. Boyce, Ryrie and McGrath. I think Grudem or Erickson would be what I recommend for a beginner because they more accessible and flow well.

Alister McGrath does a fantastic job of covering all the doctrines from an historical Christian perspective instead of the typical polemics on why the author's view is correct that has become part and parcel of Reformed systematics.

No one has mentioned Paul Enns' Moody Handbook of Theology, which also avoids the polemics but is concise, precise and very comprehensive and is one of my favorites when supplemented with something more devotional like Grudem.

I have McGrath's, Christian Theology, and I noticed that it covers a lot of historical theology, which is good if you want to learn what various Christian thinkers believed about different doctrines.

I voted for a Brakel: theological precision and pious warmth. Calvin would come a close second though.

As for the others I have read small(er) portions of their work so when I get around to reading them I may change my mind but I doubt it.

I agree with Poimen. Brakel is theologically precise and warmth. I think Turretin comes second, Calvin in third, John Brown of Haddington in fourth and Berkhof in fifth.

What's the name of Brakel's systematic?

I voted for a Brakel: theological precision and pious warmth. Calvin would come a close second though.

As for the others I have read small(er) portions of their work so when I get around to reading them I may change my mind but I doubt it.

I agree with Poimen. Brakel is theologically precise and warmth. I think Turretin comes second, Calvin in third, John Brown of Haddington in fourth and Berkhof in fifth.

The Christian's Reasonable Service (4 vols.)

The Christian's Reasonable Service (4 vols.)

Is that available anywhere Andrew?

even though i'm not baptist nor charismatic I do love Grudem's. It's a great intro and first time systematic theology. And Berkohf is just so dry to me.

Who do you think has written the best systematic theology. I go for Robert Reymond (while not agreeing with everything he says), with Louis Berkhof a close second. :berkhof:

There are several other Systematic Theologies I hold of equal rank because depending on the topic, each author has weaknesses and strengths. Some of the other works I highly regard include (not in any particular order):

- Millard Erickson's Christian Theology. Albeit moderate Calvinist in perspective, this work is wider and more detailed than any I've seen in anywhere else.
- Robert Duncan Culver's Systematic Theology. I still have not read it entirely, but what I have read thus far impressed me.
- Daniel Akin's A Theology For The Church. Albeit Southern Baptist in perspective, it is nonetheless a very good systematic theology work that keeps ecclesiology and piety in the context. For example, Eric Redmond was interviewed by Mark Dever at 9Marks Ministry
where he explains his glaring letters he had sent to several SBC leaders, including Akin, Dever and Patterson, about Akin's A Theology For The Church failure to include the topic of American Slavery or Racial Relations from a systematic theology perspective. Redmond's argument is that it was Southern Baptist's theology that endorsed the practice of American Slavery. And Redmond is hoping that future Systematic Theology works that come out will start to look at the theology of slavery and/or racial relations from a systematic theology perspective for application in corporate ecclesiology and personal piety. On all other areas that are standard Systematic Theology grounds, Akin does a superb job of doing just that.
- J.I. Packer's Concise Theology. Of course, because of its size it is not a true systematic theology work. And it is geared more for the lay person. But it remains for me one of the best quick reference books I always first dig into for a quick, immediate refresher of the key points of the basic theological concepts or points.

But, given the list, I voted for Grudem's 3rd edition, despite his continuationist leaning on the topic of spiritual revelatory gifts.

Last edited:
- Millard Erickson's Christian Theology. Albeit moderate Calvinist in perspective, this work is wider and more detailed than any I've seen in anywhere else.
- Robert Duncan Culver's Systematic Theology. I still have not read it entirely, but what I have read thus far impressed me.

Erickson is now available in Libronix format. Culver is a pre-pub with Logos and is already available from Biblesoft for their P.C. Study Bible. Incidentally, the Christian's Reasonable Service is available in digital form too.

Last edited:
Could commentaries on catechisms ever be thought as being a sort of systematic theology? I mean, Ridgley's work reads like a systematic theology . . it's just arranged according to question and answer, much like Turretin. Why not Ursinus? Then there's Bullinger's Decades -- do they count? How about Hodge's Outlines? :think: We certainly are not in lack regarding dogmatic theologies in the Reformed tradition!

Bullinger's Decades - Good Stuff! :book2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back