Best Verse-By-Verse Commentary on Ezekiel 40-48?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TryingToLearn

Puritan Board Freshman
I think I'm with Beale on the overall understanding of this section, but I've yet to find a commentary that actually works that out and explains what everything going on in these chapters actually means. Sure, its a prophetic vision depicting the future new Creation, but Ezekiel spends 8 whole chapters here describing the Temple and measurements and sacrifices, and the Prince and such, so these all certainly must have important meaning, but I haven't found a good commentary that actually tells me what the meaning of these things actually are. Anyways, I'd appreciate any help here.

When I was studying Ezekiel I recall thinking that Calvin and Matthew Henry seemed about as confused as I was. Eventually I discovered Puritan William Greenhill's commentary on Ezekiel, which I have found helpful for the passages I've referenced it on.

Of modern commentaries, Duguid is excellent (and indispensable, really), though he isn't a verse-by-verse exposition. John Mackay's commentary is more detailed, and is also excellent. For a stimulating and quite different understanding, you might also try the Jewish-evangelical mix in Ezekiel's Hope, by Jacob Milgrom and Daniel Block.

They don't.

They probably get around that by not sanctifying the day....

Of modern commentaries, Duguid is excellent (and indispensable, really), though he isn't a verse-by-verse exposition. John Mackay's commentary is more detailed, and is also excellent. For a stimulating and quite different understanding, you might also try the Jewish-evangelical mix in Ezekiel's Hope, by Jacob Milgrom and Daniel Block.

I agree about Duguid and Mackay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back