Bible-believing Seminary that Does Not Deconstruct the Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello.

I am looking for a Bible-believing seminary where the faculty do NOT deconstruct and pick apart the Bible.

Can someone help me find a Bible-believing seminary that does not deconstruct the Bible or engage in textual criticism?

Does any such seminary exist?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Welcome to the board. Please fix yourself a signature so folks know how to address you. See the link under Useful Links below.

Actually, textual criticism is a good and useful thing, as long as it's "lower criticism" and not "higher criticism." The latter has long been practiced by liberals and neo-orthodox (are there any of those guys still around?) in order to denigrate the Scriptures. The former studies the various manuscripts of the Bible in order to determine the most accurate text.

Reformed Theological Seminary (several campuses) holds to the inerrancy and authority of Scripture - essentially the position of the Westminster Standards. So do many other seminaries in the U.S.

Most every NAPARC seminary would fit that bill. Of course, what one means by "deconstruct" probably factors as well. Unless you are a King James Onlyist, textual criticism is inevitable and comes with the Greek text. Do you perhaps mean "Higher Criticism" instead?

Many OPC fellas come from the Westminister Theological Seminary in Philadelphia campus. What has your session advised you?

Many OPC fellas come from the Westminister Theological Seminary in Philadelphia campus. What has your session advised you?

I would second this question, along with some other questions.

Is your goal to enter the ministry when you graduate? Have you talked to your session at all about feeling a call to the ministry? If so, have they confirmed that you have gifts and an external call? Have you taught any Sabbath schools?

I would suggest talking to your pastor as well. Try to spend time with him before rushing off to seminary.

The last thing you want to do is call yourself with no external call.

Most every NAPARC seminary would fit that bill.

How many NAPARC seminaries are there? Off the top of my head, I can think of Erskine (ARP) which is OK but might not be the best choice for folks not heading into the ARP, Covenant (PCA) which might not be the best choice and RPTS (RPCNA) which qualifies the Westminster Standards with the RPCNA's "Testimony of the Reformed Presbyterian Church".

How many NAPARC seminaries are there? Off the top of my head, I can think of Erskine (ARP) which is OK but might not be the best choice for folks not heading into the ARP, Covenant (PCA) which might not be the best choice and RPTS (RPCNA) which qualifies the Westminster Standards with the RPCNA's "Testimony of the Reformed Presbyterian Church".

I meant loosely in the NAPARC orbit, not officially affiliated. I'm fairly certain that none of the "reformed" seminaries (RTS, WTS, etc) teach Derridean philosophy.

I believe City Seminary of Sacramento and Heidelberg Theological Seminary are affiliated with the RCUS.

Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary is jointly affiliated with two NAPARC denominations (FRCNA and HRCNA).

There are also many smaller seminaries affiliated with individual churches or presbyteries of the PCA, most notably Knox Theological Seminary.

If by no textual criticism you mean a strict textual preservationist approach and essentially KJV-only, you'll have much more limited options. I think Puritan Seminary defaults to the KJV, but I think I've heard uses an eclectic Majority Text in at least one class. Geneva Reformed Seminary (FPCNA) is probably the closest, but they don't have much interaction with NAPARC churches.

There's also the Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary in Hamilton, Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back