Bible Errata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanablue

Puritan Board Doctor
So, as some of you know, I do some reference work at my local public library. Today, I had a boy come in who is wanting to write a paper on Bibles named after printer errors. He wasn't able to find any books in our library, but I would like to try to get something for him through inter library loan. I've done some searching and havent' come up with anything yet - but since some of you are great readers of church history, I thought you might know of some resources. Does anyone have suggestions?

I did find a Wikipedia page (which of course, he can't use) but its full of fun info. I think my favorite is the "Wicked BIble fo 1631 which took out a rather essential "not" in the Ten Commandments. Bible errata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

www.catholicherald.co.uk/life/cl0000317.shtml

Also from 1540 comes the earliest separate edition of a purely Latin New Testament printed in England (£400-600). A copy of what is affectionately known as the "Wife-Beater's Bible" of 1549 (£3,000-4,000) is included, so-called because of the note to 1 Peter 3 contained in it which reads: "And yf she be not obedient and healpfull unto hym endevoureth to beate the feare of God into her heade, that thereby she maye be compelled to learne her duitie and do it".

Not fond of the source, but I remembered this note from a Church History class.

Kathleen:

Sorry about the bogus link. :oops:

Here is the title and ISBN.

In the beginning : the story of the King James Bible and how it changed a nation, a language, and a culture
McGrath, Alister E., ISBN: 038549890X

I hope this book may be helpful in your quest.

Kathleen:

While reading from one of Dr. MacArthur's commentaries this morning, I came across another promising resource for you:

History of the Bible in English by F.F. Bruce
ISBN-13: 978-0718890315 (current edition)
formerly printed by Oxford in several editions

I was specifically reading about the Father, Word, Spirit passage in the KJV contained in 1 John 5.6-9 and ran across a quote from the above book.

:book2:

Hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back