Bible Reading Plans Written BY Puritans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Poquette

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings all,

I'm leading a Sunday school class for a few weeks with the specific goal of encouraging the habit of daily Bible reading and study. Having reviewed some of the passages from Scripture ABOUT Scripture, we then used Thomas Boston's "Directions for Reading and Searching Scripture."

His first advice is to "follow a regular plan." And this raised the question by a class member: "Did Thomas Boston, or any of the Puritans, actually write or use a specific plan that we know of for Bible reading?"

Other than THIS plan written by the Puritan Nicholas Byfield (1577-1622), I am not currently aware of any others. That seems surprising to me. I love the Puritan authors like Owen, Watson, Goodwin, Brooks, etc. But I know almost nothing of their actual practice or "plan" for daily Bible reading and study.

Does anyone else know of a Bible reading plan produced by, or regularly used by, any of the actual Puritans in the 16th or 17th century?

Blessings!

I believe William Gouge’s plan was more or less 5 Chapters at 3 stated times. So by the end of the day he’d have read 15 chapters and went through the Bible approx 4 times a year.

It should be pointed out, the daily reading plan set out in The Book of Common Prayer would have likely been used by some Puritans; especially those who remained in the Church of England. It takes you through the Psalms every month, through the Old Testament once in a year, and through the New Testament twice.

I believe William Gouge’s plan was more or less 5 Chapters at 3 stated times. So by the end of the day he’d have read 15 chapters and went through the Bible approx 4 times a year.
If you find the source on this later, please let me know. Gouge is great

Edit: for some reason thought you were talking about William Bridges, who wrote The Christian Ministry. I'll still take the source if you come across it though

If you find the source on this later, please let me know. Gouge is great

Edit: for some reason thought you were talking about William Bridges, who wrote The Christian Ministry. I'll still take the source if you come across it though

In The Practice of Piety Lewis Bayly provided a simple reading plan:
1. Read 3 chapters a day, with meditation: morning, noon, and night.
2. Read 6 extra chapters the last day of the year.
3. Read as many Psalms as chapters, according to the Church-Liturgy.
4. Read the Apocrypha at pleasure, and believing only what is agreeable to the canonical Scriptures.

The value of his plan is less in the mechanical breakdown than it is in the directions on reading so as to lead into meditation.

Greetings all,

I'm leading a Sunday school class for a few weeks with the specific goal of encouraging the habit of daily Bible reading and study. Having reviewed some of the passages from Scripture ABOUT Scripture, we then used Thomas Boston's "Directions for Reading and Searching Scripture."

His first advice is to "follow a regular plan." And this raised the question by a class member: "Did Thomas Boston, or any of the Puritans, actually write or use a specific plan that we know of for Bible reading?"

Other than THIS plan written by the Puritan Nicholas Byfield (1577-1622), I am not currently aware of any others. That seems surprising to me. I love the Puritan authors like Owen, Watson, Goodwin, Brooks, etc. But I know almost nothing of their actual practice or "plan" for daily Bible reading and study.

Does anyone else know of a Bible reading plan produced by, or regularly used by, any of the actual Puritans in the 16th or 17th century?

Blessings!
Robert Murray M‘Cheyne’s Bible Reading Calendar

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mcheyne.info%2Fcalendar.pdf&clen=84124&chunk=true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back