Bible Translation For Family Memorization

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use the KJV. Given it's rich history and style, which has already been mentioned, we prefer it. I still am amazed at those who claim it is hard to understand! My son had little problem with understanding the passages we were memorizing, given a little instruction, he picked right up on what the KJV was teaching.

I agree David. I love the KJV also. I love to read it. I also have the Reformation Bible as my study bible and the NIV bible. My rc bible satys on my shelf for reference only and I very rarely open it now.

Number me among the barbarians but I don't find the NASB awkward at all. I love hearing it read through my Droid phone via YOUVERSION app. I don't get it. My wife and I both use NASB in personal study and family worship. Maybe the ultra-literal translations provides a bold crunchiness that hits me where I need it.

That's the first time I've heard "bold crunchiness" listed as a desirable quality in Bible translations! I've been reading through the NASB, and while at first I was wondering why people brought up stylistic issues, the farther along I get (fortunately I'm on the home stretch now) the less I enjoy or like it. The 1901 ASV has more going for it, I think, though I didn't notice it being particularly crunchy.

That's the first time I've heard "bold crunchiness" listed as a desirable quality in Bible translations! I've been reading through the NASB, and while at first I was wondering why people brought up stylistic issues, the farther along I get (fortunately I'm on the home stretch now) the less I enjoy or like it. The 1901 ASV has more going for it, I think, though I didn't notice it being particularly crunchy.

LOL. Yeah I was at a loss for words. Still don't know what to say other than the goal of ultra-literalism leaves an uneasiness at the expense of "flow" that provokes the reader.. The more I read it the more I like it. I suppose I've had to concentrate more when reading it. Such a challenge proves helpful.

The Authorised Version for memory, every time - they'll live to thank you! And the language will give them a key to so much else in the canon of Western literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back