Bible Translation to Muslims - latest news....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Translation Update: Wycliffe To Be Reviewed | Biblical Missiology

An article picked up by the Washington Post and over 150 other news outlets reports that “US Bible translator agrees to review after criticism over substitutions for ‘Son’ and ‘Father.’” Indeed, Wycliffe and SIL agreed to, and in fact sought out, a review by the World Evangelical Alliance (WEA), with a recommendation on their translation practices due by the end of the year. Given that these controversial translations are currently available and thus creating inaccurate understandings of God, Biblical Missiology appeals to Wycliffe and SIL to immediately withdraw them. Although they have agreed to “put on hold [their] approval of publication of translated Scripture around which this criticism is focused”, they have refused to withdraw existing mistranslations, so we are praying that the WEA will encourage Wycliffe to retain “Father” and “Son” in the text of their translations.

Here is the article link below:

US Bible translator agrees to review after criticism over substitutions for 'Son' and 'Father' - Winnipeg Free Press

For critics like Houssney, the changes aren't simply a matter of word choice, but theological choice.

"God says, 'This is my Son,' and we can't put other words in his mouth," he said.

The issue is at least partly philosophical, something that's long been an issue when it comes to presenting the Bible in new languages.
Wycliffe, which is involved in more than 1,500 Bible translation programs in roughly 90 countries, generally prefers a method known as "dynamic equivalent translation," Creson said, in which a literal, word-for-word approach is less important than conveying the essential meaning of a text.
"If you've got a culture that doesn't have sheep, and you want to translate the word 'sheep,' you either explain sheep or you find an equivalent term," Creson said.

The other major approach is generally known as "formal equivalent translation," said Timothy Beal, a professor of religion at Case Western Reserve University. That approach that strives for as close to a literal match as possible.

Also, pray about this:

From April 30 to May 9, SIL will be gathering in Asia for a major conference, which is held once every four years. Not only will SIL elect new leaders, they will also spend a portion of the conference discussing the translation controversy. We ask you to join us in prayer for this conference and for their decisions.

SIGN THIS PETITION:

Education Petition: Lost In Translation: Keep "Father" & "Son" in the Bible | Change.org

Thanks for sharing. I read a lot of missionary biographies when I was younger... and always loved hearing of the Wycliffe translators beginning.

A comment from the petition site:

Featured Comment
I've been in Turkey for 27 years and I don't know any Turkish pastor or believer that likes this translation. On the contrary, I'm also a pastor, and I can say that I know every pastor and everyone I know are upset with this translation. . . rather than changing the meaning of the Biblical terms and give reason to those Muslims who accuse Christians of adulterating the Scriptures, why not simply put a footnote to clarify that "Father" does not refer to a biological father and "Son" does not refer to a biological son? But for me the worst thing in this translation is that this "Matthew" started with a quote of the Koran and that the translation is full of footnotes with quotes of the Koran, as if it was the highest authority to decide what is true and what false.

Carlos Madrigal
Istanbul, Turkey

Piper Responds to the Insider Movement – The Gospel Coalition Blog

Here is an article (with film clip) about John Piper discussing the Insider Movement.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Questions and Biblical Guidelines for Missionaries among Muslim Peoples – The Gospel Coalition Blog

Another good article:

"He is very close to becoming a Muslim!"

"What do I say to this dear coworker who is using the Qur'an so much in his attempts to share the gospel that the local Muslims believe he (and the rest of us, by implication) are interested in becoming Muslims?"

This problem was posed to me as the missions pastor by one of our local missionaries. This missionary had joined a group of other local missionaries to start an English as second language ministry among the hundreds of Muslim immigrants in our neighborhood. It was opening some significant doors in building relationships with these Muslim neighbors. They started meeting in the recreation room of the apartment complex across the street from our church. The apartment manager eventually decided to close the recreation room to this kind of gathering, so they agreed to meet at our church across the street---something they would never have agreed to do a few years ago.

But a new challenge arose shortly before Easter in 2003. One of the local missionaries sought to explain to the Muslim students what the Easter holiday was all about. This particular missionary had recently received some training in reaching Muslims on the basis of the common ground that Christians and Muslims share in matters of faith. This training taught him how to use portions of the Qur'an in an attempt to build a bridge to biblical truth.

The Muslim students came away from the missionary's Easter message excited. In small group discussion afterward, one missionary asked his group, "What did you like about that message?" He was not prepared for the answer. One of the Muslim participants said, "We are happy to hear that the teacher is so close to becoming a Muslim!" They were impressed that he had such knowledge, respect, and interest in the Qur'an. It seemed to boost their confidence in the power of their holy book and in their Muslim faith. This was not the message the missionaries hoped to communicate.

Some who parted ways with Frontiers over this Insider Movement issue have formed their own ministry. It is called Salaam Ministries. Salaam Ministries A husband and wife team who are part of our in-house missionaries for our church are part of this. If you'd like to hear about what Salaam is doing to mobilize the North American church to reach Muslims, please contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back