Bible Translations Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
If grammar in many high schools is not taught so that the students are proficient, what else can we expect in popular culture? The ability to read and write is so taken for granted. My high school education in English largely consisted of topical essays, no grammar, no logic, only personal perspective.

My high school education in English largely consisted of topical essays, no grammar, no logic, only personal perspective.
I understand. Us New Zealanders had a better education. For example we were taught to say Fish and Chips, not Fesh and Cheps :rofl::rofl:

Yes but we dont have prime minister acting out her paternal motherly instincts upon the nation; more government, more welfare!

Bogans are an unfortunate sub group of Australians with their own unique vernacular and values, no doubt descendants of the anti authority prisoners that came to Australia 200 years ago. Every Australian has some bogan in him.

Yes but we dont have prime minister acting out her paternal motherly instincts upon the nation; more government, more welfare!
Fully agree. Many Australians adore our Prime Minister but I am pleased you have seen through her Marxist ideology. She trained as a Marxist sadly.

Fully agree. Many Australians adore our Prime Minister but I am pleased you have seen through her Marxist ideology. She trained as a Marxist sadly.
Folks on channel 10, the project, literally supported abandoning the police (in America, probably in Australia too). I could not believe my eyes or my ears. What do they think will happen? That all the injustices of the world will simply reverse themselves, and all people with racist attitudes will repent? The key fallacy of leftist thinking is this; they believe that mans nature is fundamentally good, clearly contradicts biblical doctrine. If you start with the goodness of men, then by definition people only do evil because of outside forces acting upon them, namely institutions, hence if we get rid of the institutions man will once again flourish as angel. What lies! What falsehood! What perversity. Traditional conservatives rightly recognize that man is evil and that institutions and hierarchy of authority and power exist to restrain the wickedness of mankind. We will need physical protection if such ideology keeps sweeping the west. Maybe it is the devils method of ultimately killing the elect.

Again, many consumers do not buy a Bible by asking themselves what is the best translation but rather by asking what's familiar, what's traditional, what's a comforting memory from childhood, what once spoke to them in youth group, etc.

Yes, people will buy a particular Bible translation for sentimental or emotional reasons, as you say. I suspect that that's a large part of what keeps the KJV afloat.

With all the destruction of history going on today (monuments, revisionist history, etc.), my Scottish contrarianism rears its head: I just switched my devotional reading translation to the KJV, in order to preserve its amazing heritage in my own mind. That isn't the only thing I intend to do (I have started serious study of history in focused books on particular events), but it is one thing that we can do to preserve our heritage.

There was a poll on here a few months ago in which KJV did slightly edge out the ESV (a little to my surprise...).

I think a lot has to do with how old you are. That might be an excellent element to put in a pole. I just turned 70 in November, and being older, the King James is in my blood. When I search for a Scripture, I still use the King James wording because that's what is in my mind.

But I'm going through the ESV for maybe the 10th time in a row. The first couple of times, I mumbled under my breath every time I opened it, "I really don't like this translation." That's many hundreds of mumblings.:). But I stopped the mumblings and am finally getting up to speed in it. Last week I decided to go through the King James one more time. It is so majestic and rich sounding. The KJV was made for preaching and reading aloud.

Read this verse out loud in both translations.

Isaiah 6:8 KJV​
Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.​
Isaiah 6:8 ESV​
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am! Send me.”​

Now compare verse 1 of Psalm 119 from the ASV to the ESV. (the ASV is kind of a younger brother to the KJV)

Psalms 119:1 ASV​
Blessed are they that are perfect in the way, Who walk in the law of Jehovah.​
Psalm 119:1 ESV​
Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord!​

Although I no longer rely on the King James as much as I used to, I still think it's going to be around and loved for a long time to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back