Bible Verse Most Taken out of Context?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlgobelman

Puritan Board Freshman
OK, what's your vote for the Bible verse most taken out of context? I am casting my vote for Revelation 3:20...

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me

Nearly every time I hear this verse talked about in evangelical circles, it is always misquoted as an evangelistic verse ("Jesus, stands at the door to your heart and knocks. Won't you let him in?"). :barfy:

It seems to me more often than not that churches that interpret this verse in that way are the ones being talked about in that pericope...

"But now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.”
-David, 2 Sam. 12:23(ESV)

I often see this verse interpreted as David referring to his son as being in heaven. Now I'm not saying his son did not go to heaven, but all David is saying here is that he too will die and be in Sheol.

In all contexts, I'd have to say "Judge not lest ye be judged," Matt. 7:1 -- even the nonbelievers will trot that one out.

"But now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.”

I often see this verse interpreted as David referring to his son as being in heaven. Now I'm not saying his son did not go to heaven, but all David is saying here is that he too will die and be in Sheol.

Although, if we take this text in the light of CofD 1/17:

Since we are to judge of the will of God from his Word, which testifies that the children of believers are holy, not by nature, but in virtue of the covenant of grace, in which they, together with the parents, are comprehended, godly parents have no reason to doubt of the election and salvation of their children, whom it pleaseth God to call out of this life in their infancy.

that would mean that David had no reason to doubt the election and salvation of his child.

Ooh, another "MOoC" thread!

:popcorn:

edit: Maybe we should give out MOoC Awards... :)

Last edited:
"Where two or three are gathered..." and "Judge not lest ye be judged..."

In both cases, the chapter context is pretty clear.

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. " John 10:10

The prosperity crowd loves this verse to name it claim it.

John 3:16

16.For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

What you state isn't Scripture taken out of context, In my humble opinion. In fact, historically it's been the common understanding of this passage by Calvinist and Reformed Bible commentators. See as follows some examples of this point.

Matthew Poole states:

"I shall go to him; into the state of the dead, in which he is, and into heaven, where I doubt not I shall find him."

Matthew Henry states:

"I shall go to him. First, To him to the grave. Note, The consideration of our own death should moderate our sorrow at the death of our relations. It is the common lot; instead of mourning for their death, we should think of our own: and, whatever loss we have of them now, we shall die shortly, and go to them. Secondly, To him to heaven, to a state of blessedness, which even the Old Testament saints had some expectation of. Godly parents have great reason to hope concerning their children that die in infancy that it is well with their souls in the other world; for the promise is to us and to our seed, which shall be performed to those that do not put a bar in their own door, as infants do not. Favores sunt ampliandi - Favours received should produce the hope of more. God calls those his children that are born unto him; and, if they be his, he will save them. This may comfort us when our children are removed from us by death, they are better provided for, both in work and wealth, than they could have been in this world. We shall be with them shortly, to part no more."

John Gill states:

"I shall go to him; to the state of the dead, to the grave, where his body was, or would be; to heaven and eternal happiness, where his soul was, as he comfortably hoped and believed: from whence it appears, that the Old Testament saints did not suppose an annihilation at death; but believed the immortality of the soul, a future state after death of eternal life and bliss:"

1599 Geneva Bible notes:

"2 Sam. 12:23 - But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? (n) can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

(n) By this consideration he appeased his sorrow."

Although, if we take this text in the light of CofD 1/17:

Since we are to judge of the will of God from his Word, which testifies that the children of believers are holy, not by nature, but in virtue of the covenant of grace, in which they, together with the parents, are comprehended, godly parents have no reason to doubt of the election and salvation of their children, whom it pleaseth God to call out of this life in their infancy.

that would mean that David had no reason to doubt the election and salvation of his child.
I agree he had no reason to doubt the salvation of his child. I just don't think he was referring specifically to heaven here.

On further reflection, though, this is certainly not the most misinterpreted verse by any stretch. It's just one I've seen misused in certain contexts.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15 For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Misused to support a pretribulational rapture.

Revelation 20:4 ...They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

Misused to support a premillennial view of the millennium.

2 Peter 3:9

9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

God desires all men to be saved...

How can we forget this one...

Romans 8:29

"For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."

Common Arminian Interpretation: God looked into the future, saw who would believe in Him, and chose those only who would believe in Him (by their own free will).

:duh:

"Do not quench the Spirit."
-1 Thess. 5:19(ESV)

To many charismatics, this verse means that you cannot question or apply discernment to any claim of revelation from God, or you might "quench the Spirit."

Last edited:
OK, what's your vote for the Bible verse most taken out of context? I am casting my vote for Revelation 3:20...

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me

Nearly every time I hear this verse talked about in evangelical circles, it is always misquoted as an evangelistic verse ("Jesus, stands at the door to your heart and knocks. Won't you let him in?"). :barfy:

It seems to me more often than not that churches that interpret this verse in that way are the ones being talked about in that pericope...
So then what would you say is the proper view of this verse?

John 14:6: "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but by Me." Growing up in a liberal church, it's not that this verse gets taken out of context; rather this verse is the context that everything else Jesus said is taken out of.

Galatians 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Wasn't there a book written cataloging these things?

D.A. Carson's Exegetical Fallacies takes a crack at some of them. ISBN 0801020867

Also Sire's Scripture Twisting: 20 Ways the Cults Misread the Bible. ISBN 9780877846116

Matthew 24:34 Truly, I ay to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

Most people have never even heard of the A.D. 70 context. And that is a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back