Biblical authority of the church

Status
Not open for further replies.

moselle

Puritan Board Freshman
I apologize if I'm in the wrong forum here. Dh was having a discussion with a friend at work who has become very concerned over the concept of Biblical authority - who has it, how, and why? He's from a Charismatic background but he leans much more toward reformed doctrine now.

For instance, he understands that in a denomination (like the PCA), churches may have a group of elders, hopefully well trained in doctrine and theology, who hold authority in a congregation - to make decisions, exercise church discipline, preach, distribute sacraments, etc. And over those elders is a presbytry, and so on. But he doesn't understand what gives those elders spiritual authority from a Biblical standpoint.

He understands that he needs to submit to the authority of the church, but he doesn't know how he would know if the church he's submitting himself to has any real authority.

In his mind, he sees the Orthodox church and even the Roman Catholic church having some kind of Biblical succession in terms of their leadership, even though he sees many of their teachings as being unbiblical. The reformational idea of "no authority but Scripture" doesn't exactly hold water with him, because we are also called to submit to the church.

It's not a matter of doctrinal authority in his mind - if everyone held to a perfect system of Biblical doctrine, how would we know which person or group has the authority to "be the top guy" so to speak. Is there scripture that designates who we should submit to? In the OT and NT spiritual authority was passed on to people in very specific and powerful ways - and it didn't seem that there was much room left for doubting who had that authority.

Am I making any sense? I'm confusing myself even as I write.:duh: If you can find a question in there somewhere, we'd love to hear your thoughts.

We don't need an apostolic succession of bishops in chain-linked succession sitting in Rome for authority, only adherance to the apostolic doctrine found in Scripture.

I apologize if I'm in the wrong forum here. Dh was having a discussion with a friend at work who has become very concerned over the concept of Biblical authority - who has it, how, and why? He's from a Charismatic background but he leans much more toward reformed doctrine now.

For instance, he understands that in a denomination (like the PCA), churches may have a group of elders, hopefully well trained in doctrine and theology, who hold authority in a congregation - to make decisions, exercise church discipline, preach, distribute sacraments, etc. And over those elders is a presbytry, and so on. But he doesn't understand what gives those elders spiritual authority from a Biblical standpoint.

Some aspects of apostolic authority are transferred to the Word of God after the unique role of the apostles in laying the foundation of our faith was completed. Other aspects continue in that the "opening" of the kingdom of God, in a sense, is now done by those authoritatively teaching the Word of God, those called and equipped by God- e.g. Pastors, teachers, elders.

In another sense, authority to "close" the Kingdom is held by the ability to close the visible church by church discipline.

He understands that he needs to submit to the authority of the church, but he doesn't know how he would know if the church he's submitting himself to has any real authority.

He may not understand that the church is a spiritual entity, not an institution- the power comes directly from Christ, according to His Word for those whom He would appoint as presbyters, officers (Pastor, teacher, bishop).

In his mind, he sees the Orthodox church and even the Roman Catholic church having some kind of Biblical succession in terms of their leadership, even though he sees many of their teachings as being unbiblical. The reformational idea of "no authority but Scripture" doesn't exactly hold water with him, because we are also called to submit to the church.
Have Him read the first few verses of John's Gospel.

It's not a matter of doctrinal authority in his mind - if everyone held to a perfect system of Biblical doctrine, how would we know which person or group has the authority to "be the top guy" so to speak. Is there scripture that designates who we should submit to? In the OT and NT spiritual authority was passed on to people in very specific and powerful ways - and it didn't seem that there was much room left for doubting who had that authority.

The authority of church officers, whether the first century apostles, Old Testament prophet, or an elder today does not really reside with the person- it is in the "key" God gives, to "open" the Kingdom through the preaching of the Word, and to "close" it to the impenitent by church discipline.

Am I making any sense? I'm confusing myself even as I write.:duh: If you can find a question in there somewhere, we'd love to hear your thoughts.

You may find helpful, The Westminster Confession of Faith for Study Classes, by GI Williamson, especially Chapter XXX, Of Church Censures

I would recommend a book called Why Elders? by Benjamin L. Merkle. If your friend is sincere this little book is an easy read full of Scripture about Church Leadership and the Offices of the Church especially the Ruling Elders and their role as Shepherds over the people of GOD. Also any good study Bible or Topical study help will lay our in good order what the Bible says on all Authority. The all I need is Jesus and my Bible attitude does'nt work because as GOD places children under the Authority of Parents so GOD places His children under the Authority of Church Parents if you will.
May this be a help to your friend and you,I really injoyed this study myself because it has brought many blessings and safety to my Pilgrimage through this world of spiritual dangers. Pauls farwell words to the Ephesian Elders is a good insight to our need for Biblical Oversight due to the Savage Wolves who would come into the Church not sparing the flock Acts 20:13 to 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back