Biblical Doctrine Overviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

FivePointSpurgeonist

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm looking for any resources that give an overview of biblical doctrines. I bought, and am looking forward to reading 'Biblical Doctrine' by John Macarthur, but at almost 1000 pages it will take me a long time to get through. I'm hoping to get a more brief outline of doctrines. Thanks for any tips!

Nathan, did you know that the reason God created New Zealanders was to make sure Australians have the correct theology :D I do have a reputation for being a cheeky Kiwi :D:D

Seriously, don't waste your time on MacArthur. He is dispensational, not Reformed.

Two excellent works are "Everybody's a theologian" by RC Sproul (I have not read it myself but it is highly praised and not too long), and "Great Bible Doctrines" by Martyn Lloyd-Jones. The Lloyd-Jones work is longer than Sproul's but it is easy to read, very practical and pastoral. It has been a great blessing to me. You can find the sermons that made up the book here https://www.mljtrust.org/free-sermons/great-biblical-doctrines/

Something basic but well written would be "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer. Or are you looking for a good first systematic theology?

Nathan, did you know that the reason God created New Zealanders was to make sure Australians have the correct theology :D I do have a reputation for being a cheeky Kiwi :D:D

Seriously, don't waste your time on MacArthur. He is dispensational, not Reformed.

Two excellent works are "Everybody's a theologian" by RC Sproul (I have not read it myself but it is highly praised and not too long), and "Great Bible Doctrines" by Martyn Lloyd-Jones. The Lloyd-Jones work is longer than Sproul's but it is easy to read, very practical and pastoral. It has been a great blessing to me. You can find the sermons that made up the book here https://www.mljtrust.org/free-sermons/great-biblical-doctrines/
Dr MacArthur has some interesting points in his theology, but in many areas is very sound, just have to read him with a filter. read him like you wouldDr Grudem, and glean from the good stuff and reject the rest.

Dr MacArthur has some interesting points in his theology, but in many areas is very sound, just have to read him with a filter. read him like you wouldDr Grudem, and glean from the good stuff and reject the rest.
Could you give me some examples on things that would be better to reject, from both MacArthur and Grudem?

Could you give me some examples on things that would be better to reject, from both MacArthur and Grudem?

From MacArthur:
  1. Dispensational Premillennialism
  2. Substantial distinction between Church and Israel
  3. Overly literalistic interpretation of eschatological descriptions and prophecies
From Grudem:
  1. Belief in the continuation of the so-called "sign gifts"
  2. Historic Premillennialism (though this is far better than Dispensational Premillennialism, so "reject" might be too strong a word here)
  3. Eternal Subordination of the Son

Last edited:
This may seem like going after the low-hanging fruit, but an in-depth study of the confession and catechism is always a benefit.

Watson’s ‘Body of Divinity’ (already mentioned) is excellent. Also, Benjamin Beddome’s ‘Exposition of the Baptist Catechism’ is a great and very accessible study.

Studying the confession(s)/catechism(s) are also good because they encourage the reader to have his/her Bible open and to meditate on the Scriptures, teaching not just doctrine, but good hermeneutics.

Berkhof's smaller summaries. Granted, they read like a dictionary (and not necessarily an English one), but it is also the best it is in terms presenting info.

From MacArthur:
  3. Overly literalistic interpretation of eschatological descriptions and prophecies
From Grudem:
  2. Historic Premillennialism (though this is far better than Dispensational Premillennialism, so "reject" might be too strong a word here)
very good summary, as I moved from Dr Mac views to a CT premil view, historical premil.

I would recommend two to start. My recommendations are based on my impressions of you. I do not know you.

I would recommend thoughtfully reading a Summary of Christian Doctrine by Louis Berkohf.

After completing that work, I recommend thoughtfully reading a Manual of Theology by John Dagg. Like yourself, he was a Baptist. The work by Dagg is an introductory level systematic. The work has a warmth about it that is refreshing. It is a wonderful place to begin.

The two of these combine quite well, and lay a level foundation. Get to know these two well.

Skip MacArthur (don't know why so many here like him with all the caveats that need to go along with reading him). I second Berkhof or Sproul along with a Reformed confession.

From MacArthur:
From Grudem:

These are things I can deal with, the only one I don't know about (which I believe I'e heard mentioned before about Grudem) is the last point. Could you expand what this means, so I can be aware?

Thank you all for the recommendations. I will start check out some of these, some are already available on Logos which is handy.

These are things I can deal with, the only one I don't know about (which I believe I'e heard mentioned before about Grudem) is the last point. Could you expand what this means, so I can be aware?

Thank you all for the recommendations. I will start check out some of these, some are already available on Logos which is handy.
Think refers to Dr Mac holding to a very literal view of prophecy, so rebuilt Temple, Rapture, Isreal sets up their kingdom under Jesus during 1000 years reign, etc.

It is basically the idea that the economic subordination of the Son in his role as Mediator is a reflection of an ontological or immanent subordination of the Son within the Godhead. It is a scheme defended by some complementarians to illustrate the idea that subordination does not necessitate inferiority.

It may be useful, Nathan, to connect your reading on doctrine with your other thread on reading the Puritans. A number have said the Puritan Thomas Watson is a great Puritan to start with, and that his work the body of divinity is one of his best. I agree. As I noted above:
Another great theological work is the body of Divinity by Thomas Watson. It is a spiritually rich Puritan work. Spurgeon produced a Baptist edition of this work https://www.heritagebooks.org/produ...the-westminster-shorter-catechism-watson.html

It may be useful, Nathan, to connect your reading on doctrine with your other thread on reading the Puritans. A number have said the Puritan Thomas Watson is a great Puritan to start with, and that his work the body of divinity is one of his best. I agree. As I noted above:
What about that recent book on Puritan Theology, theology to live by?

I'm looking for any resources that give an overview of biblical doctrines. I bought, and am looking forward to reading 'Biblical Doctrine' by John Macarthur, but at almost 1000 pages it will take me a long time to get through. I'm hoping to get a more brief outline of doctrines. Thanks for any tips!
I'd avoid Jmac's book if you're looking for a reformed, comprehensive work. He's a good teacher but he's a dispensationalist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back