Biblical rationale for male leadership in the Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peairtach

Puritan Board Doctor
This is a "spin-off" from the other thread. Having recently read Knox's "First Blast", and in many ways sympathising to an extent with his position, the Q. I wanted to ask was, Why is there a specific ban on female leadership in the Church, while female leadership is permitted in other areas of life, e.g. the state? What is it about the Church which means that it is inappropriate to have female leadership there?

I say that as some-one who is of course against female leadership in family and church.

Apart, from the fact that it is commanded, what is the Biblical/theological rationale or the rationale that is believed to be the correct one, why women are not permitted by God's Word, to lead in Church?

Is it because the Church is "the Household of God", and therefore men, women and children should be equal yet subordinate, as in the family?

Is it because God is revealed as male and is incarnated as male in Jesus Christ?

Is it to remind us that sin came by a woman?

Or a mixture of these?

Or other?

A few thoughts below on these broad questions.

This is a "spin-off" from the other thread. Having recently read Knox's "First Blast", and in many ways sympathising to an extent with his position, the Q. I wanted to ask was, Why is there a specific ban on female leadership in the Church,

That's one way of asking the question. Another might be, why did God create and choose men, ordinarily to lead in His Church?

while female leadership is permitted in other areas of life, e.g. the state? What is it about the Church which means that it is inappropriate to have female leadership there?

You will get some detailed responses here. For me, it is quite sufficient to say that God specifically qualified church leaders (deacons and elders), explicitly as men. Like to that, He chose men for apostles, all of them. All that before we even go back to the priority in Creation.

I say that as some-one who is of course against female leadership in family and church.

Yes- because that's the biblical model. Not the culture's motto, not what many men imagine in this generation, but it has always been God's created order, from the beginning. (And it's a wonderful thing when everyone tries generally to obey God).:)

Apart, from the fact that it is commanded, what is the Biblical/theological rationale or the rationale that is believed to be the correct one, why women are not permitted by God's Word, to lead in Church?

I think we would agree if God commanded it, that's enough for us creatures of His. The example of Scripture, spoken of in a normative way is like unto that. The creation account sets out God's pattern and purposes for His glorious creation, male and female.

Is it because the Church is "the Household of God", and therefore men, women and children should be equal yet subordinate, as in the family?

Is it because God is revealed as male and is incarnated as male in Jesus Christ?

It relates back to the created order, and if you think about it, how the Trinity even has a priority, yet each member has a distinct role.

Is it to remind us that sin came by a woman?

Some will probably disagree, but instinctively I don't want to accept this. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any more sinfulness in either gender, both disobeyed, all mankind fell.

Or a mixture of these?

Or other?
We never want to base our theology and pragmatism or appeal to experience. We may have to work it out that way, but not base it on such.

The fruits of men not leading/suffering serving and women not helping/following respecting is a breakdown of everything God calls good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back