Biblical Theology VS Biblicism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Martinez Jr

Puritan Board Freshman
So I've been reading some articles about Biblicism (or Radical Biblicism hereafter RB) that's so vilified in some conservative Reformed circles. Then I came across this book called The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture, by Christian Smith. Anyone who has read the book have any insights about the book as it pertains to Radical Biblicism and how it hurts contemporary Scholarship? I've seen so many people plagued with this kind of theological perspective. When I read the confessions I find some notes of Biblicism but I don't think that's the same thing as RB that Smith diagnosed as an American disease--assuming his pejorative tone portends his conclusions.

1. Assuming you read it, what do you think of his thesis?
2. Do you agree?
3. Do you think American Christianity infected with RB curtails the spirit of study?

https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Made-Impossible-Biblicism-Evangelical/dp/158743329X

51ADNPkNxoL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

How does Biblical theology fit into the discussion (as the OP title suggests). It is a valuable discipline and takes theology as it is developed in redemptive history.

"Biblicism" tends, ordinarily, to be used in theological contexts of the use (or abuse) of a text to prove a doctrine or ethical norm which text(s) does not truly serve its purpose because it is being taken out of immediate context or overall biblical context.

I haven't read the book, but if it is saying that evangelicals can't come to proper conclusions about what God's Word teaches after the best study of God's Word then it is sceptical and erroneous, according to the teaching of God's Word itself. Apparently the author has since become a Roman Catholic, and his book is recommended by Peter Enns, who's gone off the rails theologically-speaking, so whatever of value there may be to be gleaned from the book, I would treat it with extreme caution.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The best book on Biblical Theology is Geerhardus Vos's tome by that name. I don't know if you have read that book or not, but you will get the best idea possible of what BT is from Vos, who is often known as the father of Reformed biblical theology.

:ditto: Likely the book that has had the most influence on me in the last 10 years. I wasn't sure if the OP was thinking of this definition/perspective.

Aren't manywho are against it really into modern views of the scriptures not being fully inspired/inerrant? Know Peter Enns denies that the Bible is fully without errors/mistakes, just basically good for spiritual matters!

Another good resource for getting the flavor of contrast between say BT/ST is in the Zondervan Niv study bible, as the authors take the scriptures from the perspective of biblical theology!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back