Big Year for John MacArthur

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Tomorrow (Sunday, February 1), his congregation (Grace Community Church of the Valley, in Sun Valley, California) will celebrate his 40th anniversary as the pastor/teacher there (he started in February, 1969, when he was 29 years old).

Then, on June 19th (a birthday he shares with Spurgeon), MacArthur turns 70.

He may not be entirely Reformed (although his soteriology is thoroughly Reformed), but he has definitely been a good gift of God for the church at large.

Dr. MacArthur has been a faithful servant for the kingdom of God. May his ministry increase, for God's glory.

No mortal man in the past century has done more for bringing back expository preaching than Dr. John MacArthur.

I have the greatest respect and admiration for him and love reading his books! My pastor also preaches as he does and I'm so thankful for him!

My pastor worked at Grace to You as the first Director of Counseling Ministries and traveled and spoke with Dr. MacArthur at radio Bible Conferences. He was also ordained and commissioned by the Elders at Grace Community Church. Needless to say, he was there in Sun Valley today, and our Assoc. Pastor led the service.

May the Lord bless John MacArthur.

...and, if you go to the church's ministry website (Welcome to Grace to You), you will find the complete audio recordings of more than 7,000 of MacArthur's sermons, going all the way back to his start in February, 1969.

You can tell he's a "leaky dispensationalist." When you look at the audio sermon indexes, you'll find that there is not one sermon - in 40 years - preached from the Book of Psalms (to take just one Old Testament example).

With his gifts and skills, can you imagine what a series of studies on the Psalms would be like?

Congrats! He is also Larry King's best Christian representative.

You mean better than Joel Osteen? Duh! MacArthur ALWAYS states the truth and NEVER pulls punches when he has a national television platform.

...and, if you go to the church's ministry website (Welcome to Grace to You), you will find the complete audio recordings of more than 7,000 of MacArthur's sermons, going all the way back to his start in February, 1969.

You can tell he's a "leaky dispensationalist." When you look at the audio sermon indexes, you'll find that there is not one sermon - in 40 years - preached from the Book of Psalms (to take just one Old Testament example).

With his gifts and skills, can you imagine what a series of studies on the Psalms would be like?

That is incredible! Well, there's another difference between MacArthur and me...which are many! But I do find that amazing. I have preached many sermons from the Psalms and often use them during prayer meetings.

-----Added 2/1/2009 at 08:34:16 EST-----

My pastor worked at Grace to You as the first Director of Counseling Ministries and traveled and spoke with Dr. MacArthur at radio Bible Conferences. He was also ordained and commissioned by the Elders at Grace Community Church. Needless to say, he was there in Sun Valley today, and our Assoc. Pastor led the service.

May the Lord bless John MacArthur.

Cool.

-----Added 2/1/2009 at 08:39:19 EST-----

You can tell he's a "leaky dispensationalist." When you look at the audio sermon indexes, you'll find that there is not one sermon - in 40 years - preached from the Book of Psalms...

Hmmm...what about this:

Grace to You

Yeah, I see that he has done many sermons from the Psalms.

Yes, I stand corrected. I revisited the site today and noticed that they've added some more sermons. There are now 11 sermons that he's preached from the Psalms - mostly from Psalm 19, it seems. Except for two sermons from 1979, the rest are from the late 1990s and early 2000s.

They've also rejiggered the way the site looks, too.

His show used to be on out here in western Washington but in the second half of 2008 went off the air. :(

Without a doubt an amazing ministry

Tomorrow (Sunday, February 1), his congregation (Grace Community Church of the Valley, in Sun Valley, California) will celebrate his 40th anniversary as the pastor/teacher there (he started in February, 1969, when he was 29 years old).

Then, on June 19th (a birthday he shares with Spurgeon), MacArthur turns 70.

He may not be entirely Reformed (although his soteriology is thoroughly Reformed), but he has definitely been a good gift of God for the church at large.

He has lead what is without a doubt a most amazing ministry of the Word.:agree:

His focus on not getting the mission of the church off track via inappropriate culture war fighting or watered down ministry in the guise of misplaced 'social responsibility' has been valuable. However, I still think I would have joined Sam Adams in 1776

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back