Billy Donovan Backing Out of Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradofshaw

Puritan Board Freshman
So Billy Donovan, the Florida Gators Basketball coach signs a contract with the Orlando Magic, and a few days later decides his "heart is in Florida" and now wants to back out of the contract and return to Florida.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2892797

Does anybody else find this an interesting story? I'm not exactly sure how the sports media is spinning this, but I get the feeling that Donovan will be viewed as a somewhat of a hero for staying with the program at Florida for the love of coaching, rather than taking the big money and going to the NBA. What is sad, is that had he not signed the contract, I would agree.

I realize people make mistakes, and I know from personal experience, that sometimes you make a decision and immediately know that you made the wrong choice. But it seems to me that he signed the contract, and should honor it. Now, if the Magic, out of the bigness of their hearts, choose to release him as a matter of good will, that is one thing. But when the lawyers get involved, and negotiations begin, I sort of doubt it will happen that way. But you know what, life is tough, and some times you have to live with a bad decision.

If they won't release him out of good will, I think the right thing to do would be for Donovan to accept his decision and live with the consequences and honor the contract. I can understand him regretting a decision, but if this becomes a legal squabble, I would be unable to respect him for fighting to get out of the contract.

I'm just very interested to see how this plays out. They are talking about him being restricted from coaching in the NBA for several years. So he stays around now, and who knows, wins another title or two down the road at Florida. I wonder what will happen the next time the NBA comes knocking. I also would like to know what his contract status with Florida was before he decided to leave for Orlando. Maybe there is more to the story than I know about.

So what do you think about Donavan, feel good story about a coach's love for his team, sad tale of a man who won't live up to a mistake, or just pointless sports drama when there are more important things to talk about?

Last edited:
Is Florida a right to work state?

I have heard that his wife put her foot down and didn't want to leave Gainesville but that he would have to commute to work (120 miles I believe).

Sports sometimes provides a opportunity to talk about issues that have wider applications. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Billy Donovan's "situation" is an all too common one in big-money sports, which is, what is a man's word worth? Contracts (as shadows of covenants, for example) are worth very little it seems. More commonly, of course, it is players who gripe about how much money they're not being paid, or don't want to play for a team anymore.

Specifically for Mr. Donovan, obviously in retrospect he shouldn't have signed his contract with Orlando, no matter how much "pressure" was supposedly applied. Or, at least, be smart and not have all these public pronouncements (another situation where a man's word comes into play) about his change of job.

It's the grace of the Orlando Magic to allow him out of his contract if he has no other exit clause; they could of course summarily fire him but apparently want some kinds of 'exclusivity' clause that he won't be a head coach in the NBA for the next several years.

I don't feel sorry for Mr. Donovan since neither way is he or his family going to go without.

As you can tell by my avatar, I have a dog in this hunt.

I think Donovan has "Spurrier-syndrome"...for some reason, these guys can't stay put after success...it's like when Michael Jordan played for the White Sox...perhaps boredom. But, Donovan was losing most of his starters and he can build again and have new challenges if he stays.

Either way, this is the Gator Nation, so I'm sure we'll be fine. ;)

Bah...everyone knows Jordan played baseball because he was unofficially banned from basketball for 2 years for betting on basketball games. :D

As far as the Donovan situation, of course Orlando will have to let him leave. I'd imagine there will be a financial penalty to pay for breaking his contract, but I'd guess that UF will foot some of that bill. Orlando doesn't want to pay a coach that has openly stated he doesn't want to coach there...players wouldn't respect him, he wouldn't be devoted to the team...it'd be a nightmare for them.

I am suspicious. Something is not 'kosher'. Mr. Donovan is a two time champion Div 1 head basketball coach. You don't get to where he is without being a good planner, organizer, prioritizer etc. How could he have been so unprepared in this decision when he is obviously such a stickler for details?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back