Billy Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

~~Susita~~

Puritan Board Junior
Wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll just try in here.

I was wondering if some of you could help me find some especially heretical quotes from Billy Graham? And I need when/where he said it.

My reason for this is lately I keep hearing "Christians" singing his praises and they don't realize the damage he has done. (I know that is not all he has done)

Susita,

Listen to this -

http://www.apuritansmind.com/podcast/WBNP8.mp3

Also, Billy Graham wrote a book titled, "How to Be Born Again". Evaluate in light of John 3, etc.

Cheers -- J. Sulzmann

Here is one thread to consider. And here is another.

Here is another famous example:

On Nov. 21, 1967, an honorary degree was conferred on Graham by the Catholic priests who run Belmont Abbey College, North Carolina, during an Institute for Ecumenical Dialogue. The Gastonia Gazette reported:

"œAfter receiving the honorary degree of doctor of humane letters (D.H.L.) from the Abbey, Graham noted the significance of the occasion--´a time when Protestants and Catholics could meet together and greet each other as brothers, whereas 10 years ago they could not,´ he said.

"œThe evangelist´s first sermon at a Catholic institution was at the Abbey, in 1963, and his return Tuesday was the climax to this week´s Institute for Ecumenic Dialogue, a program sponsored in part by the Abbey and designed to promote understanding among Catholic and Protestant clergymen of the Gaston-Mecklenburg area.

"œGraham, freshly returned from his Japanese Crusade, said he "˜knew of no greater honor a North Carolina preacher, reared just a few miles from here, could have than to be presented with this degree. I´m not sure but what this could start me being called "œFather Graham,"´ he facetiously added.

"œGraham said... "˜Finally, the way of salvation has not changed. I know how the ending of the book will be. THE GOSPEL THAT BUILT THIS SCHOOL AND THE GOSPEL THAT BRINGS ME HERE TONIGHT IS STILL THE WAY TO SALVATION" ("œBelmont Abbey Confers Honorary Degree," Paul Smith, Gazette staff reporter, The Gastonia Gazette, Gastonia, North Carolina, Nov. 22, 1967).

Recommended reading: Erroll Hulse, Billy Graham -- The Pastor's Dilemma

[Edited on 7-4-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

KING: How about abortion?

GRAHAM: Same thing.

KING: Against it totally?

GRAHAM: Yes. But I'm not getting involved in it.

KING: So you believe it's the taking of a life?

GRAHAM: Yes, I do.

KING: But to protect the life of a mother you would permit it, right? I think you said that.

GRAHAM: Oh, yes.

:banghead:

The thread in question is on the Hannity site and I was kinda shocked to see "Christians" singing his praises.

[Edited on 7-6-2006 by ~~Susita~~]

Even if I totally disagree with his approach (and many other things), he is still a Christian and God used him to lead many to Christ. With that said, out of curiosity I would like to see some of the things he has said.

Graham is definitely one of the more distressing and sad cases of Evangelicalism in the contemporary sense. The Interfaith/Ecumenical stuff he's pioneered has definitely spread around quite a bit. This has (obviously) been the case with the standard denominations, but its presence among certain evangelicals (who are really just neo-liberals theologically, I'm growing to understand) is unnerving, to say the least.

Indeed, it is hard not to see how pervasively (especially here in the Bible Belt) the pragmatic, altar-call based approach has spread throughout the churches and ministries in this area. Just in my own Christian ministries here on campus, the leadership has held evangelistic endeavors that have very questionable approaches, particularly in the long-term (I speak of having "salvation" cards with the standard Romans Road and Sinner's Prayer, etc...). Worst of all is how crippling it can be to one surrounded by this general mentality. The most successful evangelism (and indeed discipleship thereafter) is by nature deeply personal and highly individual in approach.

With my own current evangelistic/discipleship with my friend Elizabeth (mentioned on an early thread in the evangelism section and what has been my strongest discipleship so far), it's definitely going to be a slow process to help warm her soul more to the Scriptures and deep Christian life in the Church. For one, she's definitely smart enough to see through the "used-car evangelism" like what I described, and besides, even if she did believe more thoroughly after that point, she would have hardly been given any resources for discipleship. God's graciously been using me (lousy though I am at it) to open her eyes more, but I still have to say I struggle with the clear and easy "Say this little prayer" and just do "XYZ" things and then "Boom, Here's a Christian" approaches absorbed from those around me. But that's my little rant for the day. :candle:

At least we have a younger generation coming around and seeing through that Old Man's smokescreens. (Sorry, it's hard not to hold Billy Graham "Crackers" in contempt of the Gospel for his pattern of compromise.)

Okay, I have to wonder if he is a Christian or not. I heard he was "good" back in the day...BUT...

His view of "there are many ways to God" (ie Allah, the mormons, etc).

His telephone "altar calls". I had an uncle that call this year...several times. Each time he stated a different church, when they asked his background...each time they went and got a counselor of that church/faith...this included mormonism, I believe. If you are methodist, they get a methodist preacher, etc. This is not doctrinally consistant amoung other problems.

Ian, what did you mean by picking on the weakest? The man has had an influence like you wouldn't believe... If you mean weak in health, that still doesn't excuse him from denial of Christ alone.

Originally posted by caleb_woodrow
Well I looked on google for about 5 minutes then I got bored.

Click on the threads that Andrew linked at the beginning of the thread.

Originally posted by JasonGoodwin
At least we have a younger generation coming around and seeing through that Old Man's smokescreens. (Sorry, it's hard not to hold Billy Graham "Crackers" in contempt of the Gospel for his pattern of compromise.)

I would say that some people are slowly awakening to it, but it's still a small minority. Unfortunately, the SBC continues to heap praise upon him as well and there is a great reluctance among evangelicals to publicly criticise him or his ministry for fear of being thought of as a fundy.

[Edited on 7-11-2006 by Pilgrim]

Yeah I've been accused of being a fundamentalist. I'm not going to even bother replying to that. *rolls eyes*

Let's see. If he's encouraging his organization to send a potential convert from a Mormon background to a Mormon elder to be discipled that convert will learn that he can become a god and populate a planet if he's good enough. Last time I checked that wasn't the Gospel.

Next question; Did Billy really do this? Because if he did this he advocated heresy when he did. If the organization did this on their own authority, they advocated heresy. If neither did it, well, you asked a good question.

[Edited on 7-12-2006 by turmeric]

Thanks.

Well, if he did that we have to consider that he's getting old and losing some of his "faculties". Or we have to consider that he's just in error. But if he told people that Jesus Christ died for their sins, then that is the Gospel. Remember that we're saved by faith, not by possessing 100% correct doctrine and never being in error. I'm not criticizing you...it took me a long time to learn this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back