Biological Make-up Of Jesus Linked To Mary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Such a random question, I know. But I would like some opinions with fancying the thought.

So does the glorified Jesus, the 2nd person of the glorified God-head share the DNA and biological/hereditary characteristics of His mom, Mary? Does Jesus have similar traits to His mom? Like her eye color, or nose shape, or hair color? The thought struck me as intense and deep for some odd reason.

Such a random question, I know. But I would like some opinions with fancying the thought.

So does the glorified Jesus, the 2nd person of the glorified God-head share the DNA and biological/hereditary characteristics of His mom, Mary? Does Jesus have similar traits to His mom? Like her eye color, or nose shape, or hair color? The thought struck me as intense and deep for some odd reason.
His dna would be more akin to Adam when first created, as sinless humanity.

The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law. - Deuteronomy 29:29

Does Jesus have similar traits to His mom? Like her eye color, or nose shape, or hair color? The thought struck me as intense and deep for some odd reason.

Sure. I have thought for some time that the genealogy in Luke is Mary's genealogy, not Joseph's. There's the number of reasons but the most obvious one is that in order to be genetically related to King David it would have to be through Mary--again for obvious reasons. No less a man than J Gresham Machen believed that Luke's was also a genealogy of Joseph, so I'm a little reserved in what I say. But it is certainly taught in the Bible that He is a true genetic relative to King David.

Romans 1:1‭-‬3 KJV
Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

He most certainly shares the DNA, and probably eye, hair, and nose (since those were quite common in the Levant).

Sure. I have thought for some time that the genealogy in Luke is Mary's genealogy, not Joseph's. There's the number of reasons but the most obvious one is that in order to be genetically related to King David it would have to be through Mary--again for obvious reasons. No less a man than J Gresham Machen believed that Luke's was also a genealogy of Joseph, so I'm a little reserved in what I say. But it is certainly taught in the Bible that He is a true genetic relative to King David.

Romans 1:1‭-‬3 KJV
Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
Wow, so Jesus, God over all creation, sitting as King on the throne, has the genetic make-up of His human heritage?

In a peculiar way it's a very comforting thought. I think it helps me bridge the gap between God and man.

Article 18 of the Belgic Confession, as Wes's article reminds us, is very explicit on this point:

We confess, therefore, that God did fulfill the promise, which he made to the fathers, by the mouth of his holy prophets, when he sent into the world, at the time appointed by him, his own, only-begotten and eternal Son, who took upon him the form of a servant, and became like unto man, really assuming the true human nature, with all its infirmities, sin excepted, being conceived in the womb of the blessed Virgin Mary, by the power of the Holy Ghost, without the means of man, and did not only assume human nature as to the body, but also a true human soul, that he might be a real man. For since the soul was lost as well as the body, it was necessary that he should take both upon him, to save both.

Therefore we confess (in opposition to the heresy of the Anabaptists, who deny that Christ assumed human flesh of his mother) that Christ is become a partaker of the flesh and blood of the children; that he is a fruit of the loins of David after the flesh; made of the seed of David according to the flesh; a fruit of the womb of the Virgin Mary, made of a woman, a branch of David; a shoot of the root of Jesse; sprung from the tribe of Judah; descended from the Jews according to the flesh; of the seed of Abraham, since he took on him the seed of Abraham, and became like unto his brethren in all things, sin excepted, so that in truth he is our Immanuel, that is to say, God with us.

No. He was formed in Mary's womb, not Adam's rib. Certain aspects of original sin would not have hurt him like they do us.
Due to the Virgin Birth, He was able to avoid Original Sin that affected Mary, and that was why I see Him with same sinless Humanity l...s Adam was created with and had until his fal

Due to the Virgin Birth, He was able to avoid Original Sin that affected Mary, and that was why I see Him with same sinless Humanity l...s Adam was created with and had until his fal

Interesting in that no doubt our soul has no DNA and this could have bearing on how the human soul was made in Our Lord. In other words, this could be an argument that God creates a new soul independent of the father and mother at conception.

DNA is not inherently sinful. While the physical body feels the effects of sin and is often the instrument of it, all sin proceeds from the heart. Jesus has Mary's DNA, and at the resurrection, we also will have the same DNA as now, only glorified in a way that even Paul was unable to explain, probably because it's beyond our comprehension. Still, Job could declare: in MY flesh shall I see God.

Hi David,

Yes, Jesus had the sinless heart as did Adam, but that's where the similarity ends. Jesus was subject to the most severe temptations imaginable as well as all the weaknesses of fallen flesh except sin. For Adam, everything around him and inside his heart was in complete harmony with the world God created and with God himself. Adam had only one temptation whereas Jesus was tempted in all points as we are yet without sin. That's why I believe that he was far more like Mary and us than like Adam. Although he was called and truly was the Second Adam, I think it is a mistake to consider him just like Adam, for he was far feebler and weaker than mighty Adam.

The Virgin Birth means he didn't have a male seed forming him. It doesn't mean he didn't have any DNA input from Mary. Let's put it this way: if he had Adam's DNA instead of Mary's, how did he get it?

The Virgin Birth means he didn't have a male seed forming him. It doesn't mean he didn't have any DNA input from Mary. Let's put it this way: if he had Adam's DNA instead of Mary's, how did he get it?
Just saying that due to His Virgin Birth, the humanity received from Mary was not cursed and fallen as it should have been if was just a normal conception.

Hi David,

Yes, Jesus had the sinless heart as did Adam, but that's where the similarity ends. Jesus was subject to the most severe temptations imaginable as well as all the weaknesses of fallen flesh except sin. For Adam, everything around him and inside his heart was in complete harmony with the world God created and with God himself. Adam had only one temptation whereas Jesus was tempted in all points as we are yet without sin. That's why I believe that he was far more like Mary and us than like Adam. Although he was called and truly was the Second Adam, I think it is a mistake to consider him just like Adam, for he was far feebler and weaker than mighty Adam.
Jesus was and is God, do how could He had been feebler?

Interesting in that no doubt our soul has no DNA and this could have bearing on how the human soul was made in Our Lord. In other words, this could be an argument that God creates a new soul independent of the father and mother at conception.
Our souls are created by God apart from Dna process, as is Immaterial aspect of us.

Just saying that due to His Virgin Birth, the humanity received from Mary was not cursed and fallen as it should have been if was just a normal conception.

Nobody's disputing that. We are arguing that Jesus took real humanity from heaven, not some gnostic celestial flesh.

Jesus was and is God, do how could He had been feebler?

Adam would have appeared to us as almost a god. He was not subject to fear, or fatigue, nor did he have any of the drawbacks of the fall. Jesus had them all except sin. Jesus was undoubtedly far superior to Adam in His impeccability. I was speaking only of His human weakness in His body. In that respect alone was He feebler than Adam.
Q. Do you think Adam ever stubbed his toe?

QUESTION 27. Wherein did Christ’s humiliation consist?
ANSWER: Christ’s humiliation consisted in his being born, and that in a low condition,
made under the law, undergoing the miseries of this life, the wrath of God, and the cursed death of the cross;
in being buried, and continuing under the power of death for a time.

From Fisher's Catechism:
Q. 18. What were the miseries of this life, which Christ endured in his state of humiliation?
A. Together with our nature, he took on him its sinless infirmities, such as hunger, thirst, weariness, grief, and the like, Rom. 8:3; he submitted to poverty and want, Matt. 8:20; and endured likewise the assaults and temptations of Satan, Heb. 4:15; together with the contradiction, reproach, and persecution of a wicked world, Heb. 12:3.​

None of which sufferings did Adam partake of.
Q. Do you think Adam ever caught a cold?

No more time now. Gotta head to work.

Ed

Article 18 of the Belgic Confession, as Wes's article reminds us, is very explicit on this point:

The WCF also mentions it:

The Son of God, the second Person in the Trinity, being very and eternal God, of one substance, and equal with the Father, did, when the fullness of time was come, take upon him man's nature, with all the essential properties and common infirmities thereof; yet without sin: being conceived by he power of the Holy Ghost, in the womb of the Virgin Mary, of her substance. So that two whole, perfect, and distinct natures, the Godhead and the manhood, were inseparably joined together in one person, without conversion, composition, or confusion. Which person is very God and very man, yet one Christ, the only Mediator between God and man. (VIII.ii)​

It might be a good idea to wall this discussion in by the principles of (a) sola scriptura and (b) good and necessary inference.

We may not be too dogmatic on some things but we can know other things. These few come to my mind...

1. Jesus had a human nature.
2. If Jesus did not share Mary’s DNA, there’s no reason to believe that would undermine redemption. (Jesus would still be human and born through her line.)
3. If Jesus did not share Mary’s DNA, that no way undermines the mother-son relationship (lest we deny human adoption and our adoption in Christ).
4. If Jesus did share Mary’s DNA, that would not preclude God from keeping the Son from inheriting a fallen human nature.
5. Jesus could not have a human father by natural generation. Fallen nature comes through human generation, through father-begetting.
6. From 4 and 5 we can deduce that whatever Jesus might’ve inherited from Mary, it’s short of the sin nature that he would’ve inherited from the seed of Joseph. (Jacob’s point)

Food for thought...

In the incarnation the Son took on all essential human properties and was formed in Mary’s womb. (Sin is not an essential human property.) Those human properties indeed belong to Mary (and all of us). However, I’d be hard pressed to say that “of her substance” requires the interpretation that the egg of Mary was fertilized by the Holy Spirit. (Not that anyone is suggesting that much. But if not that much, then what should we make of an appeal to Mary’s DNA? Certainly seventeenth century Divines didn’t have DNA in mind.)

Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit and formed in the womb of Mary is all I know (and all I believe I can know). That’s why I think good and necessary inference as it relates to Scripture alone must provide our theological boundaries.

Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit and formed in the womb of Mary is all I know (and all I believe I can know). That’s why I think good and necessary inference as it relates to Scripture alone must provide our theological boundaries.

With that in mind, PB will set a boundary by closing this thread lest we wade into waters too deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back