Black Coffee Drinkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
In other threads in recent months, people have commented on their coffee preferences. It amazes me how some people can drink coffee black.

I use to drink coffee with cream and a bunch of sugar. I went on a diet a few years back, and decided to eliminate unnecessary sweets, and sugar in coffee was one place I eliminated it. It didn't take long before I started enjoying my coffee with just cream. Now, I can't stand having coffee if it has sugar in it.

But I've never gotten the point where I could drink the coffee black. I might as well be drinking kerosene.

Any of you tough-as-nails black coffee drinkers start out like I did, using cream and sugar, and actually got to the point where preferred it black now?

Did most of you who drink black coffee now always drink it that way?

Why drink coffee at all if you do not like the taste of coffee?

I drink coffee black that is good black coffee. Many cheap coffees are horrible black and must be adulterated to cover up the taste of sludge.

I drink it black. Always have, always will. I don't understand why people would want to cover up the taste of coffee.

FYI, I drink my Coke black too. No cream or sugar added.

For me it depends. I like a good straight black expresso at times, sometimes I have coffee after a meal and sort of a dessert I like a teaspoon of sugar...and a splash or two of cream. I Love Coffee!

I have taken black coffee for quite a while. I used to take milky creamy coffee but found myself not really enjoying it. I found getting rid of cream helped a bit but it still wasn't quite right. Then I tried it without milk and eureka! Whether its black coffee is a bit like neat whisky it should be drunk with no added impurities.

I have been told that when I was a baby, my mom put strong south Louisiana coffee in my bottle! I have liked it that way ever since.....except when Bailey's
is available!:coffee:

I converted, from an old PB thread several years ago...

I had taken cream & sugar from when I started drinking it daily at the age of 12 (yes!) to my late 30's...then, on a PB thread, someone suggested that if you drink 10 cups of GOOD black coffee in a sequence, without C/S, then you'll never go back...
I tried this, and it worked. When I tried to go back to adding C/S, it tasted horrible!

I've been drinking my coffee just like I enjoy my theology, since...strong, and pure!

P.S. that didn't mean all ten cups at one sitting...:duh:

It's already been said - coffee black is only good if it's excellent coffee. Major market mass produced brown-dyed sawdust that isn't coffee is enough to send you into apoplexy if you drink it black. If the coffee is well roasted and is of good quality, then it can be quite heavenly.

I drink it black. I tried it with creamer a couple days ago for the first time in a long time, and I hated it. If you don't like your coffee black, you are probably drinking bad coffee that requires creamer to be made drinkable. That's a sign you need to buy different coffee. :)

Last edited:
I have always taken my coffee black and strong. On a couple of instances, I picked up a creamed/sugared coffee by mistake and nearly gagged.

Why would you want to adulterate a good bitter drink? If God had intended for people to drink their coffee with cream he would have created Starbucks.

If I drink it at all, I drink it white. I've always been white, well... sometimes red.

See, I shouldn't have read through this thread. Josh beat me to it.

That aside, I believe I drink my coffee black because my parents drank it black.

My first cup of coffee was cooked over a campfire in an enameled steel pot - Black. I've never looked back.

I drink it black because I love good coffee. Buy my own beans and blend them. Peruvian dark roast and Kona mild - 60/40 mix respectively. Grind them fresh for each pot. Momma, that's some goooood coffee. But that's just me...........
(first post on PB - Howdy everybody!)

I have always drunk it black, having started that way in the Navy (in the 1960s). It does need to be good coffee, though. For me, it's like beer. It should be bitter and tasty.

Using c/s in "good coffee" there is a great site I have not been in a while, I THINK it is simply called Coffee Review (I will run it down), in any event in reviewing coffee and they review good coffee, they talk about certain selections, and roasts, they sometimes recommend a splash of cream an a cube of sugar, usually it is speaking about stout coffees and the ones in this "class" are great beans! They are able to "take" c/s without a diminishing of flavor. There are no "hard and fast rules" it depends on, region, season, roast length, notes and a host of other things. In short, great coffee is complex, some may be better black some are bold coffees that handle some cream or milk and sometimes sugar with no great loss of flavor. That was a good site....I will try to find it again for my fellow coffee hounds here.

I take some coffee with my cream, but working in a tea shop, I sample all the tea blends without sugar, cream, or lemon in order to be able to recommend various types to the customers.

Tea-drinkers are stricter purists than coffee drinkers, in my opinion . . .

Black for me. I never touched a drop, until I worked in the missile field in Montana. Started drinking it one night. Now I'm a two cup a drinker, although I mix in some espresso now and again.

good coffee , bad coffee, it don't matter to me. I usually drink it black. On thursday nights I add some hot cocoa mix to it as a treat, but only on thursday.

Tonight we went out to our favorite Chinese Restaurant. I usually finish the meal with a cup of coffee. I thought about this thread, and decided to take a couple sips of the coffee black. It actually wasn't as bad as the last time I tried black coffee. I ended up polluting it...I mean...adding cream so I could enjoy the rest of the cup. But sipping the coffee black, and it not being THAT bad, I could almost see myself getting use to it that way.

Tonight we went out to our favorite Chinese Restaurant. I usually finish the meal with a cup of coffee. I thought about this thread, and decided to take a couple sips of the coffee black. It actually wasn't as bad as the last time I tried black coffee. I ended up polluting it...I mean...adding cream so I could enjoy the rest of the cup. But sipping the coffee black, and it not being that bad, I could almost see myself getting use to it that way.

If you really want a fair test, order some Oren's Daily Roast (Oren's special blend) online, make it strong, and drink it black. You won't want any cream in that stuff, I promise.

I really enjoy good black coffee Iced not hot if possible and it's got to be a cheap bean,we are always looking for the best cheap bean and grind it fresh,percolated coffee if possible from a nice Pyrex glass percolator

Green Tea the rest of the day usually nice and hot plain no sugar

Tonight we went out to our favorite Chinese Restaurant. I usually finish the meal with a cup of coffee. I thought about this thread, and decided to take a couple sips of the coffee black. It actually wasn't as bad as the last time I tried black coffee. I ended up polluting it...I mean...adding cream so I could enjoy the rest of the cup. But sipping the coffee black, and it not being THAT bad, I could almost see myself getting use to it that way.

Don't you stay up from having coffee at night? or it doesn't have any effect on you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back