Blasphemy in the Bible and Ray Comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesusIsLord

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello brothers in Christ I listen to Wretchedradio on a regular basis and they use an evangelism technique that was made popular by Ray Comfort of living waters ministries. They use the law (ten commandments) to help the unregenerate person see their sin, and then proclaim the good news of Christ finished work on the cross. When they use the law, one of the things they ask is "have you ever used Gods name in vain by cursing in such manner as g-d d-nm?'' if so then you have blasphemed. However i heard another brother say that cursing is not the biblical meaning of blasphemy. So I guess what I am longwindedly trying to ask is 1) what is blasphemy in the bible and 2) is Ray comfort wrong in using that example? Thank you brothers

The Westminster Larger Catechism has the following to say about it:

Q. 111. Which is the third commandment?
A. The third commandment is, Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Q. 112. What is required in the third commandment?
A. The third commandment requires, that the name of God, his titles, attributes, ordinances, the word, sacraments, prayer, oaths, vows, lots, his works, and whatsoever else there is whereby he makes himself known, be holily and reverently used in thought, meditation, word, and writing; by an holy profession, and answerable conversation, to the glory of God, and the good of ourselves, and others.

Q. 113. What are the sins forbidden in the third commandment?
A. The sins forbidden in the third commandment are, the not using of God's name as is required; and the abuse of it in an ignorant, vain, irreverent, profane, superstitious, or wicked mentioning or otherwise using his titles, attributes, ordinances, or works, by blasphemy, perjury; all sinful cursings, oaths, vows, and lots; violating of our oaths and vows, if lawful; and fulfilling them, if of things unlawful; murmuring and quarreling at, curious prying into, and misapplying of God's decrees and providences; misinterpreting, misapplying, or any way perverting the word, or any part of it, to profane jests, curious or unprofitable questions, vain janglings, or the maintaining of false doctrines; abusing it, the creatures, or anything contained under the name of God, to charms, or sinful lusts and practices; the maligning, scorning, reviling, or any wise opposing of God's truth, grace, and ways; making profession of religion in hypocrisy, or for sinister ends; being ashamed of it, or a shame to it, by unconformable, unwise, unfruitful, and offensive walking, or backsliding from it.

Q. 114. What reasons are annexed to the third commandment?
A. The reasons annexed to the third commandment, in these words, The LORD thy God, and, For the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain, are, because he is the Lord and our God, therefore his name is not to be profaned, or any way abused by us; especially because he will be so far from acquitting and sparing the transgressors of this commandment, as that he will not suffer them to escape his righteous judgment, albeit many such escape the censures and punishments of men.

You can find the biblical proof texts here

I'd say that any irreverent attitude towards or speech against God would indeed be considered blasphemy and therefore that the example given is a correct one and one of which many are guilty, yet fail to take seriously.

I agree with Sean and would add that I often encounter people who assume that the only way to use God's name in vain is through common curse words. As the WLC cited above points out, there are many ways in which we violate the Third Commandment.

I would add a few that are minced oaths, "oh my gosh" truly means "oh my God" and is indeed borderline blasphemey if not actual blasphemey.

Does Scripture say "oh my gosh" is a sin? Or does it, in principle, tell us we may not say words as interjections if they have any similarity to any name or attribute of God? If not, it seems to me we should not call it a sin.

Miss Marple,

If someone is calling "Gosh" their God, I'd suggest they're sinning—and doing it in quite the flippant manner.

Last edited:
I never really thought about many of them until recently when it was pointed out to me that "Gee" was a euphemism for Jesus and what "strewth" meant (which is really popular here in OZ) Gadzooks is an off one to say the least, though iv never used it, only heard it really on TV. Iv been substituting the ones I used to use recently with stupid made up words that have no meaning at all. I would imagine if someone heard me at times when im out fishing these days on my own they'd think im nuts. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back