"Bless you"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello everyone. I was wondering what you all thought about the phrase "bless you" or "God Bless you."

We are accustomed to saying "bless you" when someone sneezes... what are your thoughts on this?

Also, when your communicating online, is it alright to always sign "bless you" as some have become accustomed too?

When is it appropriate to use this and other phrases?

Lori

Well, here is my take:

When someone swears and says "Da*n"

Is that using the Lord's name in vain? Does it violate the use of the third commandment?

Answer - no.

God D****t

Is this using the Lord's name in vain (at least one way)? Yes.

Why?

Because of the use of God's name.

What does it mean to "bless" someone?

"God bless you." should not be used non-chaluantly.

Genesis 1:22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

Genesis 25:11 God blessed his son Isaac;

1 Chronicles 26:5 for God blessed him.

Deuteronomy 16:17 Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee.

Genesis 39:5 and the blessing of the LORD was upon all that he had in the house, and in the field.

We should be careful about how WE use the "bless you" kind of thing with people. I refrain altogether. The benediction of the minister is a "blessing" that officiates Gods hand on His covenant people for good:

Numbers 6:23-27 Speak unto Aaron and unto his sons, saying, On this wise ye shall bless the children of Israel, saying unto them, 24 The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: 25 The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: 26 The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. 27 And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

When God wants us to bless people, it is a hearty blessing, not something over a sneeze.

i never felt right about it. it just seems like something to say just to say.When someone sneezes are we really asking God to bless them?

t reminds me ofthe Catholics who say Hail Mary.:barfy:

I've heard that it stems back to the olden days when people thought when a person sneezed, a demon was able to enter them. Thus the person needed a blessing.

[quote:9bbaa92e12]
I've heard that it stems back to the olden days when people thought when a person sneezed, a demon was able to enter them. Thus the person needed a blessing.
[/quote:9bbaa92e12]

I heard that when you sneeze, your heart stops for that moment, thus the person needed a blessing.

Here in New England when somebody sneezes, I usually try to get out of the way.:bouncy:

[quote:53015ad3b6]
We should be careful about how WE use the "bless you" kind of thing with people. I refrain altogether. The benediction of the minister is a "blessing" that officiates Gods hand on His covenant people for good:
[/quote:53015ad3b6]

That is the most inane reasoning I have ever heard. We can bless all people with common grace without taking the Lord's name in vain. We as Christians are here to bless the infidels and heathen. Our very presence blesses them. Saying it for any reason at all only serves to condemn them if they continue to supress the truth in unrighteousness.

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Wintermute]

The phrase "God Bless You" after a sneeze originated with the idea that when you sneezed your spirit left you for a moment and if you were not blessed by God and your spirit regained then death was imminent!

Today it has become a quick, no thought response when a person sneezes, so I do not use it. There is no meaning or understanding when it is used because it is just so common. It has made God's name common, profaning it.

On the other hand, we are to bless one another, and bless those who curse us even, so I see no problem with offering a blessing to others.

Phillip

[Edited on 4-5-04 by pastorway]

Today it has become a quick, no thought response when a person sneezes, so I do not use it. There is no meaning or understanding when it is used because it is just so common. It has made God's name common, profaning it.

[Edited on 4-5-04 by pastorway] [/quote]

AMEN! People today,, even Christians do not know what it is to profane the name of God or what "taking the Lord's name in vain". BOTH are way more than using God in a vulgar phrase!

[quote:759cf6a07a]
[/quote:759cf6a07a]

EXACTLY!! Maybe this subject should be brought more to attention within the body of Christ.:eureka:

This has long been a pet peeve of mine.

I used to reply, "Who do you think you are, the virgin Mary?"

Then when they would say, "I was just trying to be nice!", I would say...

"Then why don't you do something useful and get me a tissue, I JUST BLEW SNOT ALL OVER MYSELF!"

These days I try to be gracious and just say, "Thank you".

The people who know it bugs me say it all the more just to bug me.

When someone sneezes I get them a tissue and if necessary I remind them that their spirit is still intact.

Whenever I part with anyone I always say, "God bless you", and I mean every word of it.

Ooooh, Maxdetail - you ARE a loose cannon! I'm glad to see you have lightened up a little! (A dog can be too salty, you know. But some salt is much preferred to bland and flavorless.)

I have stuck with Gesundheit, because it means "good health" (or something similar). When somebody says "God Bless You" to me after I sneeze, I say "Thanks". I think most people are trying (in their very flawed, human way) to express caring and concern (not in a "She's going to die/She's going to get possessed by a demon" kind of way, but rather in a "You are another person on this earth and I am acknowledging that you exist and you have feelings" kind of way. Hey, we're none of us perfect...

:saint:

[quote:fa84fbf5d2]
"You are another person on this earth and I am acknowledging that you exist and you have feelings" kind of way
[/quote:fa84fbf5d2]

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back