Blessed With Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was looking at my book collection this evening and realized that I've been really blessed with finding excellent used or bargain books. I thought I'd post some to see how many of you I can make jealous. :p

Has anyone else gotten any good literature at a ridiculously low price? Let's see your list. Here's some of mine:

The Treasury of David - Spurgeon (2 Volumes Hardcover) at $1.00 each

The Bondage of the Will - Luther (Hardcover) for .50 cents

Sermons of the Rev. Samuel Davies (Vol. 1 Hardover) .50 cents

Knowing God - J.I. Packer (softcover) for .50 cents

Mathew Henry's Commentary in one volume (Hardcover) - $5.00

Jonathan Edwards on Knowing Christ (Softcover) - .75 cents

Three Treatises - Luther (Softcover) for $2.00

Gleanings From Paul - A.W. Pink (Softcover) for .50 cents

On Christian Doctrine - St. Augustine (Softcover) for .40 cents

The Reformation of the Sixteenth Century - Roland Bainton (Softcover) for .25 cents

On God and Political Duty - Calvin (Softcover) for .15 cents

A compend of the Institutes of the Christian Religion - Calvin (Softcover) for $1.00

The Gospel According to Jesus - MacArthur (Softcover) for .80 cents

Desiring God - Piper (Hardcover) for $1.00

Grow In Grace - Sinclair Ferguson (Softcover) for $1.00

A Christian Manifesto - Francis Schaeffer (Softcover) for .10 cents

I have more that I've gotten for real cheap but I'll stop there. Praise God that he knows my budget and leads me to the bargains!:bigsmile:

A Grief Observed by C.S.Lewis
The Four Loves by C S Lewis
God in the Dock: Essays on Theology and Ethics by Lewis, C. S. Lewis
Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis
Miracles by C. S. Lewis
The Problem of Pain by C S Lewis
Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life by C S Lewis
The Abolition of Man by C S Lewis
Living Beyond the Limits: A Life in Sync With God by Franklin Graham
The Name by Franklin Graham
Rebel with a Cause by Franklin Graham
The Holiness of God by R C Sproul
Chosen by God by R. C. Sproul
ALL the works of Francis Schaeffer especially Art and The Bible
The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
All of Grace by Charles H. Spurgeon
The Power of Prayer in a Believer's Life by Charles H. Spurgeon
Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

I tend to find a lot of cheap books but never know if they are from good authors or not (by good I mean orthodox).

Yeah, I've gotten some "not so orthodox" books for cheap. Some of them I bought on purpose just to learn more on a certain theology or heretic. Some I took a chance on and found out that they weren't worth the .10 or so cents that I paid for them.

My wife's getting mad because my place is becoming overrun with books.

I've gotten what I thought where some good deals on books ;Berkoft's Systematic for $10, The Greek New Testement 4th Revised Edition for $8, etc...But nothing compared to the couple cents you've paid for those great books!

Bryan
SDG

Dood! Where are you finding books for THAT cheap? You can't even get a cup of coffee for that.

I've gotten what I thought where some good deals on books ;Berkoft's Systematic for $10, The Greek New Testement 4th Revised Edition for $8, etc...But nothing compared to the couple cents you've paid for those great books!

I've found a good many at the local Goodwill store. Lately, it's been kinda lame but every once in awhile I hit the jackpot. Also, once a year there's a huge book sale in town. It's actually in the basement of a catholic church and that's where I've found the best books (Calvin, Luther, Edwards)!

Now that I've mentioned the book sale at the catholic church, do you guys think that I should buy books there? I don't know where the money goes but it probably benefits the Roman Catholic church somehow.

Any thoughts?

I used to scour all the local thrift stores, used book stores, antique stores, libraries (in their books for sale section), I also know the librarian at a local Christian college who would let me know when he was getting rid of the titles that had been donated that they had duplicates of. I covered a tri-county area looking for books. I was obsessed, (I've since cooled down on my passion for finding theological books when my collection hit over 2000 books.) So, I have found many similar deals. My wife used to be constantly upset with me because I was bringing too many books home every week. Some weeks I would bring close to 100 to 200 books home.

My advice to those looking for cheap books, check in the places I've listed. Not just once, but check a couple times a week because these places are constantly receiving more donated books that they will need to sell.

I hit the used book stores downtown every second week, I will have to be checking the thrift stores it seems!

Bryan
SDG

Our local public library's Friends of the Library group has a monthly book sale where I have found some great classics for $1 each. Some of the local churches, Methodist, Catholic, etc also have books when they do their rummage sales for $1 each.

~ Beth

Originally posted by Scot

Now that I've mentioned the book sale at the catholic church, do you guys think that I should buy books there? I don't know where the money goes but it probably benefits the Roman Catholic church somehow.

Any thoughts? [/quote]

If you are paying mere cents for the books, don't worry about it. There is not enough in that for them to make a profit. Plunder the Egyptians!

I am on my way to goodwill!

:cool:
well I have over 100 books in my library that cost less than a dollar.
Most have come from a baptist college that used to be reformed. my favorite is the millennium by boettner signed by him that i bought for .25 cents
there are several good places to buy used books in the central florida area. online the best place is brightlightbooks

About a year and a half ago a pastor friend of mine gave me a Battles Copy of Calvin's Institutes.

[Edited on 23-11-2004 by Draught Horse]

The Glory of God's Grace by James Montgomery Boice for $1

Sounds good. I used to listen to Boice all the time. I'm sorry to say that I don't have any of his books yet.

Originally posted by Scot
The Glory of God's Grace by James Montgomery Boice for $1

Sounds good. I used to listen to Boice all the time. I'm sorry to say that I don't have any of his books yet.

The first book I read in my formative Calvinist days was The Doctrines of Grace by Boice. If I had to choose a Boice book, I would take his four volume commentary on Romans, especially the first volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back