Blessed with More Books!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill The Baptist

Puritan Board Graduate
After the evening service last night, a gentleman approached me and told that his father had just passed away and he was in town settling his affairs. Apparently his father was a retired pastor and he had a library of about 4000 books, and his son wanted to know if I wanted the books. I’m going to go by there today and pick them up. I have no idea of how good or helpful these books will be, but surely some of them will be a blessing. Praise God for his good gifts

A nice gift!

Bill the Baptist just got Booked.

Just send me any Presbyterian works:D, for which I will gladly pay you on Tuesday.:detective:

Bill the Baptist, Please give us a report when you pick up the books. We want to share the excitement (or maybe the disappointment) with you!

Bill the Baptist, Please give us a report when you pick up the books. We want to share the excitement (or maybe the disappointment) with you!

I was pleasantly surprised and acquired quite the haul. Some highlights include works by Pink, Boyce, Luther, Lloyd-Jones, Macarthur, Calvin, and many others. I didn’t take all of his books, but I walked away with five big boxes of his best ones. Quite the blessing.

I was pleasantly surprised and acquired quite the haul. Some highlights include works by Pink, Boyce, Luther, Lloyd-Jones, Macarthur, Calvin, and many others. I didn’t take all of his books, but I walked away with five big boxes of his best ones. Quite the blessing.

That's great to hear. He's probably glad that the books are going to a good home, and that you will make use of them. Good thing he didn't just dump them all at Goodwill or somewhere like that.

I go to estate sales from time to time and occasionally pick up good things here and there. By far the best one is one I went to last year. It was out of the way, and the car was already packed with other things. But, having seen one obscure MLJ title and an Ironside commentary in a picture posted by the seller online, I thought it looked more promising than usual, so I checked it out. I walked away with all of MLJ's Ephesians set in HC, much of the Romans set, a lot of Pink books, many of Lockyer's "All" books (helpful at times even if he's not Reformed), the original ISBE, Schilder's Trilogy, a bunch of other solid commentaries and reference works, some vintage Bibles, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. Some of the books are not in the best condition, (yellowed pages, "old book smell,' etc.) but it was still a great haul of over 100 volumes. By the end of it, due to a lack of space, I was looking for excuses to not buy some of them.

The most interesting thing is that the owner was a woman who was the late mother of the person selling the contents of the home, and this woman had been a preacher, or so I was told by the seller. (I filled up the car one day and came back later, and the seller must have told the owner about the man who went away with dozens of books.) But other than Wm Barclay (which is much more marked up than anything else, if that's any indication) there was no liberal material there, and there was also no pentecostal or Wesleyan/holiness type material. But I've been in a Oneness Pentecostal pastor's study where he had a bunch of the MacArthur studies on the shelf, which really blew my mind at first. But I realized that especially a few decades ago, but probably now as well, expositions of the Bible that aren't dispensational or Reformed were few and far between. According to Iain Murray, Pink was one of the bestselling Christian authors of the second half of the 20th Century. This is one reason why. There are people who aren't Calvinistic at all who will have some of his expositions on the shelf. I believe Pink's John commentary has gone through more than two dozen printings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back