Blockbuster Total Access or Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
We are due to land in America in about a week.

We like movies, but only specific movies that are often hard to find, including special documentaries, bollywood, non-fiction, etc.

Most Blockbuster stores all have the same selection, and that mostly drek, almost to the point where I don't want my kids to go inside and see even the front covers of some movies that seem to maximise the scintillation.

We want to do online movie rental.

What do you advise? We loved Netflix about 4 years ago and searched out many old, classic, and hard to find movies.

But now I just heard about Blockbuster Total Access as potential competition for Netflix. We also checked out many movies from local libraries when we lived in the States.

Do any PBers user either of these services?

I did Blockbuster a couple years ago before switching to satellite TV. I loved it. You get the same selection as Netflix plus you can use the stores for "emergencies". I don't know how it works now, but I would get my 3 movies at a time through the mail, plus 2 free in-store rentals per month.

We are very happy with Netflix. We have the 8.99 package which gives us one movie at a time BUT unlimited online access and there are some fabulous offerings in their instant viewing section, movies and documentaris and tv series.

We love the Masterpiece Theaters and A&E shows. PBS now offers free access to much of their archived programs.

We currently do Blockbuster by mail. We can get the harder to find movies via mail...then return them to the Blockbuster store and pick up a movie for free while another is being shipped to us. Works out great since we live near a Blockbuster store.

We get two movies at a time...and we can return each movie to Blockbuster and get two free video rentals...we also get a free video rental coupon each month. This has been a good deal for us: 2 vids in the mail...drop them off at the store, get free two vids while there, 2 more in our queu are shipped to our doorstep.

Yes, I loved the selection available from Netflix. Would Blockbuster's selection be comparable? I don't care about "the latest movies" I want the most eclectic movies!

What's a Red Box? ........Oh, I just googled it...I like movies delivered in the mail much better because I plan to be very anti-social when I am able to for the next few months (at least during the week).

We have Blockbuster, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if we ever find a movie worth watching.

On Netflix we found some enjoyable bollywood and some documentaries. Jesus Camp was intersting, not good, but provocative. Also, I want some old Doctor Who, Twilight Zone, and I want to catch up on Lost and, if possible, see what trouble Jack Baur is saving the world from now.

-----Added 4/29/2009 at 09:58:49 EST-----

Now, I just wish there was a way to rent books on cd.

I do Netflix. I just wish I had time to really benefit from the deal.
I don't think Red Box will work for you as it is more mainstream movies. But you will have plenty opportunity to check them out as they are found everywhere in the metro STL.

One of the Blockbusters here (the most convenient one) closed up shop a few months ago. The forecast for the future doesn't look too bright for the company; they are hurting b/c of Netflix.

I do online surveys and get coupons for free rentals at BB -- one per month. That's about all the DVD viewing we do.

On Netflix we found some enjoyable bollywood and some documentaries. Jesus Camp was intersting, not good, but provocative.

That is worth it's own thread!

I saw Jesus Camp about a year ago--it was frustrating and disturbing, but I am so glad I saw it.

-----Added 4/29/2009 at 01:08:14 EST-----

...nevermind. I see that it has been discussed several times before.

I done opened a thread about Jesus camp maybe last year. I lived at Fort Leonard Wood, near St. Robert, the town where Jesus Camp was filmed.

-----Added 4/29/2009 at 01:10:22 EST-----

Okay,

I decided on Netflix. They are stronger in the Indy and foreign and docu section. My dad can tivo me any mainstream stuff I want...

We are very happy with Netflix. We have the 8.99 package which gives us one movie at a time BUT unlimited online access and there are some fabulous offerings in their instant viewing section, movies and documentaris and tv series.

Ditto. Able to get stuff I watched and enjoyed years ago. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with Alec Guinness and Oppenheimer with Sam Waterston. Now working my way through Babylon 5.

Ugh! Get out and see the world instead! Much better time and a lot more fun!

I've seen enough of the world for awhile - I want to crawl in my shelll like a old lazy turtle and lay on the couch at night undisturbed instead of being called out for medical needs or dealing with people needing money at the door.

Ooh, Babylon 5...what's that?

Like Bob, we have the 8.99 Netflix, and the ability to watch online at anytime is great. Just be aware that the entire Netflix selection is not available for online watching. They are adding more all the time, but they also have to remove movies from time to time, which is what I was told by customer service, due to licensing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back