Book Exchange with my Catholic Cousin

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcf_linux

Puritan Board Freshman
A civic festivity known as "Christmas" is coming up next month, and I'd like some book ideas!

My Catholic cousin's family does an annual book exchange. They each give each other a book to read, and in exchange promise to read a book of the other person's choice. (They disagree on a lot of things, including Catholicism. This seems to be one way they deal with that.) Last year, he included me in it. He gave me a copy of an apologetic for Catholic views on Mary, and I gave him A Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes. (He actually really liked it, which is something!)

Any ideas for a book I could get him this year? It could be an argumentative book arguing Reformed Theology vs Catholicism. Or, like last year, I could give him one that would be more about describing Reformed faith and practice.

He's really involved with Catholic Answers events, so I'm looking for something that would get past a C.A.-style stock response.

He's really involved with Catholic Answers events, so I'm looking for something that would get past a C.A.-style stock response.

James White has debated Catholic Answers speakers and is very familiar with their arguments. He has a selection of books addressing specific Roman Catholic issues and errors they share with other groups. I am imagine you would want to review a perspective book for the gift exchange to make sure it has the right “tone” for the person you’re giving it to.
https://www.aomin.org/aoblog/store/roman-catholicism/

Last edited:
Berkouwer's book on the Sacraments or the Church. Berkouwer was actually a Protestant guest at Vatican II and gives a pretty good response.

It's hard to know for sure without knowing your cousin, but my guess is that a book debunking Catholicism is not your strongest move. Last year he liked A Bruised Reed. That tells me something. It tells me he is hungry for the comfort only the gospel gives, and he craves a knowledge of Jesus only a gospel-preaching church will proclaim. At least, let's hope that may be happening in him.

If so, he doesn't need a book exposing Roman Catholic errors as much as he needs a book that shows him the gospel he's missing in that church. He needs to see more of the beauty of Jesus and the relief that comes from being able to rest in him. If he sees that, he will realize the Catholic church isn't giving him the life Christ promises. You want to get him enticed by the gospel so that he goes looking for a church that will preach it. That's your strongest move.

I don't know many former Catholics who will say they came out of that church because they became convinced Rome was wrong about the sacraments and papal authority. But I know many who left because they met Jesus, and found freedom and comfort in the gospel.

So for a Catholic, my first thought is a book that's radical about God's free grace and delights in it. Sibbes is always good that way. A few others (from multiple eras) that happen to come to mind right now are the Letters of John Newton, Spurgeon's All of Grace, and Scotty Smith's Everyday Prayers. All give sweet relief from works righteousness, which most Catholics are in need of.

It's hard to know for sure without knowing your cousin, but my guess is that a book debunking Catholicism is not your strongest move. Last year he liked A Bruised Reed. That tells me something. It tells me he is hungry for the comfort only the gospel gives, and he craves a knowledge of Jesus only a gospel-preaching church will proclaim. At least, let's hope that may be happening in him.

If so, he doesn't need a book exposing Roman Catholic errors as much as he needs a book that shows him the gospel he's missing in that church. He needs to see more of the beauty of Jesus and the relief that comes from being able to rest in him. If he sees that, he will realize the Catholic church isn't giving him the life Christ promises. You want to get him enticed by the gospel so that he goes looking for a church that will preach it. That's your strongest move.

I don't know many former Catholics who will say they came out of that church because they became convinced Rome was wrong about the sacraments and papal authority. But I know many who left because they met Jesus, and found freedom and comfort in the gospel.

So for a Catholic, my first thought is a book that's radical about God's free grace and delights in it. Sibbes is always good that way. A few others (from multiple eras) that happen to come to mind right now are the Letters of John Newton, Spurgeon's All of Grace, and Scotty Smith's Everyday Prayers. All give sweet relief from works righteousness, which most Catholics are in need of.

That sounds right. My cousin will probably fill the quota for "works intending to show errors", so it's not like I won't get the chance to discuss those arguments with him. :)

Any Sibbes besides Reed that you (or others) recommend?

Any Sibbes besides Reed that you (or others) recommend?
Martyn LLoyd-Jones was a big fan of Sibbes so using Dr Lloyd-Jones is a nice follow up. Dr Lloyd-Jones book "The plight of man and the power of God" is a great introduction to the gospel. It has many strengths. As well as a clear statement of the gospel, these sermons were originally preached during the height of WW2 where there where he saw firsthand the horrors and evil of war. Further, Lloyd-Jones was a medical doctor and emphasises that a good doctor will always help the patient by giving a proper diagnosis of his condition. He powerfully shows that the gospel gives both the correct diagnosis and the remedy for sin. There is no other diagnosis. There is no other remedy! An outstanding book.

There are many gospel based talking points in the book that, I am sure, would open up helpful conversations with your cousin. Eg, can Roman Catholicism offer that hope for the world?

Martyn LLoyd-Jones was a big fan of Sibbes so using Dr Lloyd-Jones is a nice follow up. Dr Lloyd-Jones book "The plight of man and the power of God" is a great introduction to the gospel. It has many strengths. As well as a clear statement of the gospel, these sermons were originally preached during the height of WW2 where there where he saw firsthand the horrors and evil of war. Further, Lloyd-Jones was a medical doctor and emphasises that a good doctor will always help the patient by giving a proper diagnosis of his condition. He powerfully shows that the gospel gives both the correct diagnosis and the remedy for sin. There is no other diagnosis. There is no other remedy! An outstanding book.

There are many gospel based talking points in the book that, I am sure, would open up helpful conversations with your cousin. Eg, can Roman Catholicism offer that hope for the world?

I think I'm sold. I'll get two, so I have one to start reading myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back