Book Launch - A Conquered Kingdom Biblical Civil Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
My new book is now available from the following link:

A Conquered Kingdom by Daniel F.N. Ritchie (Book) in Christianity

Sincere thanks to all who have prayerfully supported this project. I hope those that buy the book will be greatly blessed.

In terms of statistics, the book is a 6x9 hardback, 787 pages long, with a bibliography of over 300 books and articles.

This is a run-down of the contents:

Foreword 1 Rev. Paul Michael Raymond (Dutch Reformed)

Foreword 2 Rev. Douglas Comin (RPCNA)

Foreword 3 Rev. John Otis (RPCUS)

Preface
Explanation of why I wrote the book, and a definition of terms such as Theonomy and Christian Reconstruction (this also explains the relevance of Presuppositional Apologetics, VanTillan Epistemology and Postmillennial Eschatology).

Introduction
Regeneration and Christian Reconstruction
The Dominion Mandate

Chapter 1: The Kingship of Christ over the Nations
Exegetical study of various texts relating to Christ’s kingship over the nations and civil government.

Chapter 2: Political Polytheism and Toleration
The Myth of Neutrality
Political Polytheism and the First Commandment
God’s Judgment Upon Pluralism
Pluralism is Logically Impossible
The Issue of Toleration

Chapter 3: National Confessionalism and the Establishment Principle
Religious Establishment: An Inescapable Concept
The Necessity of a National Recognition of Christ (Social Covenanting)
Erastianism, Ecclesiocracy and the Separation of Powers
Alliance Between Church and State
The Precise Nature of a Christian Establishment (Divergent views of the Establishment Principle considered)

Chapter 4: The Limited Role of Civil Government
Sola Scriptura and Sphere Sovereignty
Crime and Punishment
Just Warfare
Quarantine
Taxation and Private Property

Chapter 5: Christianity versus Statism
What is Statism?
Biblical Examples of Statism (Tower of Babel, Egypt, Babylon, Medo-Persian, Roman, Jewish Compromise with Statism)
Christianity Confronts Statism (how the early church confronted Statism both practically and theologically)
Christianity versus Statist Welfare
Christianity versus Statist Education
Statist Law and the Attack Upon Biblical Freedom
Statism and Private Property

Chapter 6: The Biblical Form of Civil Government
Theocratic Republicanism: The Divinely Established Form of Civil Government
The Principle of Decentralization
The Qualifications and Duties of Civil Officers
Voting Rights
Unbiblical Forms of Civil Government (Anarchy, Monarchy, Oligarchy, Bureaucracy, Parliamentary Sovereignty and Democracy)

Appendix One: Civil Disobedience and Just Revolution

Appendix Two: For Whom was God’s Law Intended by Greg Bahnsen

Appendix Three: The Perpetual Obligation of the Scottish Covenants

Appendix Four: The Westminster Standards and Older Testament Penology (this is 26 pages long)

Appendix Five: Federal Vision Disclaimer

Appendix Six: Appointed for the Defense of the Gospel: The Life and Ministry of Greg L. Bahnsen by Kenneth Gentry

Appendix Seven: Rousas John Rushdoony: A Survey of His Life and Work by Gary North

Appendix Eight: A Summary of the Theonomic Position by Greg Bahnsen

Appendix Nine: George Gillespie and Biblical Civil Law: Did He Change His Mind?

Here is what others are saying:

gentry2004.jpg

Dr. Kenneth Gentry

Daniel Ritchie has produced a helpful, general introduction to Theonomic ethics, the ethical position holding to the continuing validity of God’s Law. The reader should find all the basic in-formation necessary for understanding the Theonomic thesis. As an added benefit, he provides material demonstrating the post-millennial hope which opens the door to our labouring toward the implementation of God’s law in the modern world.

paulmichael.jpg

Rev. Paul Michael Raymond

In his work on Biblical Civil Government Daniel Ritchie sets forth helpful insights for the proper understanding and application of Biblical Theonomy. In the genre of Rushdoony, North, Bahnsen and DeMar, Ritchie explores the many aspects of Theonomic Reconstruction and Biblical Postmillennialism in clear and understandable language. Ritchie’s work is both doctrinally valuable as well as practically useful and his Theonomic proofs from Reformation history during the time of Calvin and Knox are refreshing. With over 1400 footnotes Ritchie’s work provides strategic insight as to the issue of God’s Law and the Civil Magistrate.

douglas-comin.jpg

Rev. Douglas Comin

Daniel Ritchie here presents a thorough and Biblical overview of the implications of Christ’s Kingship over men and nations, challenging the reader to consider the Scriptural evidence, examine the historical record, and return to a consistent and Christ-honouring view of the Crown Rights of King Jesus.

johnotis.jpg

Rev. John Otis

Daniel Ritchie’s book does not promote any new perspective for the theological landscape. He simply builds upon the foundation laid by other notables that have preceded him. I view it as a tremendous addition to the Christian world. He writes with clarity, a very valuable commodity for theological writers to possess. His book is a faithful and refreshing presentation of Theonomic truths.

Rev. Stephen Welch

I would encourage everyone to purchase Daniel Ritchie’s book, especially if you are not a Theonomic Reconstructionist. His book is one of the few that really defines what Theonomy is and clears up the misunderstandings of those who oppose Theonomy. I am learning more from this book than any other I have read in a long time.

Last edited:
Congratulations on finishing this project, Daniel. It looks like you have done a very thorough job. Even though I would not consider myself a theonomist of the Bahnsen variety, I will look forward to reading it.

What happened to having a picture on the front? Didn't get enough helpful suggestions? :)

Congratulations on finishing this project, Daniel. It looks like you have done a very thorough job. Even though I would not consider myself a theonomist of the Bahnsen variety, I will look forward to reading it.

What happened to having a picture on the front? Didn't get enough helpful suggestions? :)

Thanks Adam; getting a picture put on the front turned out to be more hassle than it was worth. The plain cover looks well in your hand, though its not as nice as the last book cover. :book2:

Man, I'm a drooling. This book looks GREAT!! Just reading the table of contents, I can tell alot about you and your book. Just the section on "The Myth of Neutrality" sets you above most, and the section on "God’s Judgment Upon Pluralism" looks, well, has me anticipating a great read. :cheers:

Man, I'm a drooling. This book looks GREAT!! Just reading the table of contents, I can tell alot about you and your book. Just the section on "The Myth of Neutrality" sets you above most, and the section on "God’s Judgment Upon Pluralism" looks, well, has me anticipating a great read. :cheers:

Thanks for the encouraging words brother, hope you enjoy it. :cheers:

Congratulations on your book, Daniel! I am honored to have been asked to write a review for a Christian publication (which is still in progress). It is exciting to see a brother succeed in publishing a book. Most men do not generally write a book until they are at least in their 50's, so this is quite an accomplishment. I would encourage everyone to purchase a copy of this well researched book. I believe that he makes a well reasoned argument for theonomic reconstructionism. Although I have not been convinced of the position by others in the past, you offer very convincing arguments, especially on religious neutrality, that is so rampent among evangelicals. Great job, brother. May the Lord continue to bless you with more opportunities to write.

WOW! Almost 800 pages. I'll save up for it (or if you have any damaged copies that are cheaper I can get it before next year...).

It looks like an impressive work.

Yes, I also would like to congratulate you on your fine accomplishment. I am interested in delving into theonomy a bit. I'm going to ask my father for his copy of Rushdoony. The price is a bit steep for me at the moment. However, I look forward to getting it at some point.

Daniel,

Let me know if you ever need a proof reader. I proof read some of Rush's post hume stuff (Intellectual Schizophrenia, the Death of meaning, and a couple of others, I think). I was the "last round" of proofing, as I would generally catch niggling little details.

Cheers,

Adam Brink

Daniel,

Let me know if you ever need a proof reader. I proof read some of Rush's post hume stuff (Intellectual Schizophrenia, the Death of meaning, and a couple of others, I think). I was the "last round" of proofing, as I would generally catch niggling little details.

Cheers,

Adam Brink

Adam, I'll get back to you next time I do something (if the Lord enables me).

Daniel,

Cheers,

Adam Brink

I'd suggest taking him up on it now. Even after only skimming the book, I found some proofing problems remaining. In particular, you are (inconsistently) not fully setting off quotations from the preceding and following original text, leaving blank pages such as p. 10 and p. 30 which are irritating to those who read downloads, the Table of Contents features an unclear layout, and some spelling errors (p. 15 pp. 3 "who's law" should be "whose law", p. 745 pp 1 "Bunyan Smith aware" should be "Smith award") need to be corrected.

Daniel,

Cheers,

Adam Brink

I'd suggest taking him up on it now. Even after only skimming the book, I found some proofing problems remaining. In particular, you are (inconsistently) not fully setting off quotations from the preceding and following original text, leaving blank pages such as p. 10 and p. 30 which are irritating to those who read downloads, the Table of Contents features an unclear layout, and some spelling errors (p. 15 pp. 3 "who's law" should be "whose law", p. 745 pp 1 "Bunyan Smith aware" should be "Smith award") need to be corrected.

Thanks; I'll try to get those mistakes sorted (believe it or not, those were both the work of others!); however, the book is not really designed for those who read downloads, that is just a bonus and I do (intentionally) adopt an inconsistent approach to quotations.

Thanks; I'll try to get those mistakes sorted (believe it or not, those were both the work of others!); however, the book is not really designed for those who read downloads, that is just a bonus and I do (intentionally) adopt an inconsistent approach to quotations.

Those two have now been corrected.

Daniel,

Cheers,

Adam Brink

I thought Intellectual Schizophrenia was published in the '60s.

Daniel,

Cheers,

Adam Brink

I thought Intellectual Schizophrenia was published in the '60s.

Yes, but it was reprinted by Ross House Books recently.

Yes, I also would like to congratulate you on your fine accomplishment. I am interested in delving into theonomy a bit. I'm going to ask my father for his copy of Rushdoony. The price is a bit steep for me at the moment. However, I look forward to getting it at some point.

Thank you Lane; it is an honour to receive such congratulations from a man of your standing in the church.

Be careful, Lane. Some PCA presbyteries look with suspicion upon theonomy :lol:

Those two have now been corrected.

Don't forget that Daniel lives in the United Kingdom, so the way a Brit writes and communicates is slightly different than us Yankees or Confederates, depending on if your a Northerner or Southerner :lol:

Be careful, Lane. Some PCA presbyteries look with suspicion upon theonomy :lol:

I have been called by leading member(s) in a certain prominent presbytery a marxist, terrorist, and heretic simply because I held to a form of theonomy.

I really enjoyed the Regulative Principles of Worship as there are few modern books that tackle such a subject in a logical and biblical manner. I disagreed with quite a few points or lines of argument but that was one of the joys of the book, it set out the arguments in a format that encouraged intelectual discussion and debate.

For that reason I am buying this book, and will just hope that the Mrs does not find out how much it costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back