Book of Eli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenas

Snow Miser
I thought it was a pretty good movie. More than that though, kind of convicting in that what would any one of us do if all the Bibles were destroyed?

Movies like that I wait a bit to see if its worth watching. How was it in terms of cursing (especially using Lord's name in vain) and sexual content?

More than that though, kind of convicting in that what would any one of us do if all the Bibles were destroyed?
Well, this actually happened before. All [but one of] the copies of the Book of the Law were lost or destroyed before Josiah reformed the Temple.

I went to see it yesterday. The language was rough, but not gratuitous. It fit what one would expect the dialogue to be in such situations with such people. Without giving anything away, I was disappointed with the endings (both of them). I happen to enjoy post-apocalypse type movies, though, so I gave it a C+/B-.

I went to see it yesterday. The language was rough, but not gratuitous. It fit what one would expect the dialogue to be in such situations with such people. Without giving anything away, I was disappointed with the endings (both of them). I happen to enjoy post-apocalypse type movies, though, so I gave it a C+/B-.

3 out of 5 Popcorns!

I agree with what has been said already. The film wasn't great but was well-made and thought-provoking: I would give it a B/B-. Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actors and he was very good as usual.

I must admit I was moved by the portrayal of absolute faith and dependence on God. The movie isn't a "Christian" movie and certainly not Gospel-centered, but the point is absolute faith and living life utterly dependent on God. It made me consider just how little of my life I live by faith and how I rely on my own devices rather than walking through life - as Abraham and so many others did - by faith alone. Eli was completely dependent on God to survive much less accomplish his task. It made me realize how little faith I have in many ways.

And I agree with Andrew, the film did a good job of portraying how we take for granted our access to His Word. I think most of us have quite a few Bibles of different translations with commentaries, cross-references, etc. What if there was only one Bible in existence and no one knew where it was...scary thought indeed!

My thoughts on this movie:

1) I loved the ending and thought the story line was interesting. Good action. A super bunker at Alcatraz is pretty cool.
2) Unfortunately, due to the 7-10 F-bombs I will not buy the movie. The cursing was so far from necessary, and for me it was a deal breaker.
3) On a less important note, I found it silly that Eli knew the Bible by memory yet summarized the Word as "doing more for others than for yourself." I mean, seriously - you can't honestly conclude that if you know Scripture like that. I found it annoying.
4) Much less importantly, I was really annoyed with the landscape. I've lived in this area all of my life, and the layout of the land was just so off. They arrived at the Golden Gate bridge at its north end. That area is full of hills! If he walked all that time west, he would have also hit an enormous mountain range before even coming that close to the coast.
5) Even less importantly, he yelled to the guard that he had a "King James" Bible. When he spoke and the Scripture was placed on the shelf with the other religious writings, "New King James" was printed on it.

In summary, I thought it was good but had a major flaw in the cursing, so I cannot suggest the movie to others. I would gladly share the plot line though.

Neat website. It looks like they hated AVATAR though, which I was interested in seeing:

In AVATAR, the dialogue is often funky, the ideas are self-contradictory and absurd, the characters are shallow and stereotypical, and the plot is forgotten as Cameron shows off scene after scene of his special effects. If only someone had edited this movie, it may have been more interesting. Those who want to be blown away by special effects, or who are on drugs, may disagree.

If you ever want to know the objectional points and Christian or anti-Christian features of any movie, movie guide is a good place to start. In fact, this is where my wife and I go to figure out what movies to see:

Movieguide | The Family Guide to Christian Movie Reviews

Here is movie guide on this particular movie:

THE BOOK OF ELI - Christian Movie Reviews

It's not a perfect source, but it's pretty good.

Cheers,

I find Movieguide to be pretty good for the list of what kind of content to expect, but I often disagree with their reviews and the final acceptability rating.

I looked up The Hurt Locker on the Movieguide site. It said their were 75 obscenities and 8 profanities. What is the difference between an obscenity and a profanity? Seriously, I thought they both just meant swear words.

I always use Plugged In Online for movie reviews. Here's the one for The Book of Eli:

The Book of Eli | Plugged In Online Movie Reviews

Here's their conclusion:
The Book of Eli is, perhaps, the most explicitly Christian film I've seen come out of the secular film industry since The Passion of the Christ. Indeed, it's something of a Sunday sermon wrapped in a Mad Max adventure.

The Bible—what it is and what it says—lies at the heart of this cinematic Book. Denzel Washington, a Christian, co-produced the film, and he reportedly spent a great deal of time massaging dialogue and tinkering with scenes—which may have allowed his own appreciation for faith to shine through.

But this is a bloody movie. And its explicit violence feels, often, unnecessary—even within the post-apocalyptic trope we're dealing with. Eli's not so much God's instrument as he is death's angel: For all his morality and reverence for Scripture, he grinds up his adversaries—God's handiwork, made in God's own image—with the ripe regret of a wood chipper.

Does the violence eradicate Eli's message? No.

Does the message redeem Eli's violence? No.

This, then, is a spiritual tale told through the prism of a dystopian Western; a religious story shellacked with gore.

Obscene
1. offensive to morality or decency; indecent; depraved: obscene language.
2. causing uncontrolled sexual desire.
3. abominable; disgusting; repulsive.

Profane
1. characterized by irreverence or contempt for God or sacred principles or things; irreligious.
2. not devoted to holy or religious purposes; unconsecrated; secular (opposed to sacred ).
3. unholy; heathen; pagan: profane rites.
4. not initiated into religious rites or mysteries, as persons.
5. common or vulgar.

I do not understand complete aversion to depictions of violence. David's man was read to drive his spear through Saul's throat, into the ground he was laying on, before David stopped him; not because he opposed violence, but because God had annointed Saul and David loved God.

Samuel hacked Agag "to pieces" before the Lord. I imagine this involved multiple amputations, decapitation, and disembowlment if "to pieces" is literal.

Eli never committed murder in the film. He killed people, but never murder, as everything was done in defense of self or defense of another.

Yes, but to be fair, a written document leaves something to the imagination (depending on how much one wants to or doesn't want to depict mentally), while a movie leaves little to the imagination.

Cheers,

While on one hand I agree with you Andrew, watching violence for entertainment is quite different than violence that happens because of real life circumstances. The enjoyment of depictions of violence is perhaps an insight to man's bloodthirstiness that first manifest itself in Cain. People are so fascinated by it in one way or another.

And about "The Book of Eli" being the most explicitly Christian book since "The Passion," I would agree, superficially. Its theology was about as bad too. Eli summarized all of Scripture as something to the effect of "doing more for others than for yourself." That's a typical moralistic misunderstanding of Christianity. It's too bad Plugged In wrote that.

Well let me comment on some of the things I did like that were said about the Bible. In the movie its called the only book that can redeem humanity and its also called beautiful. Nonethessless, I accept the fact it is not a christian movie. Though, I really enjoyed those parts.

While on one hand I agree with you Andrew, watching violence for entertainment is quite different than violence that happens because of real life circumstances. The enjoyment of depictions of violence is perhaps an insight to man's bloodthirstiness that first manifest itself in Cain. People are so fascinated by it in one way or another.

And about "The Book of Eli" being the most explicitly Christian book since "The Passion," I would agree, superficially. Its theology was about as bad too. Eli summarized all of Scripture as something to the effect of "doing more for others than for yourself." That's a typical moralistic misunderstanding of Christianity. It's too bad Plugged In wrote that.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Hey Andrew, I saw The Hurt Locker last week. The action was good. The language was horrible. I am quite "easy" when it comes to the language, but there were curse words everywhere in this movie. So much, i couldnt recommend it to my mother.

I looked up The Hurt Locker on the Movieguide site. It said their were 75 obscenities and 8 profanities. What is the difference between an obscenity and a profanity? Seriously, I thought they both just meant swear words.

just got back from watching Book of Eli. Save your money. It just wasn't a very good film. Two words to best describe it: boring and cheesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back