Book of James

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRandy

Puritan Board Freshman
I’m doing a study on the book of James and i need information on the social situation in Judea between the late 40’s and the very early 60’s along with info on the social situation in the diaspora during the same time frame, so good detailed books would be a great help. Here’s why.

I had read it several times and was happy with the conclusion that it was written in the late 40’s covering problems faced by Christians in the diaspora. Then I read the into to James in the IVP Bible Backgrounds book, which suggested that it was written right before James’ death and was written to Christians in the diaspora primarily about issues facing Christians in Judea leading up to the civil war of 66-70. I thought about that, and actually it makes a lot of sense out of many passages in James.

For example James 2:10-13 talks about if someone does not commit adultery but they do commit murder, then they have become a transgressor of the law. That always seemed backward. Of course someone who commits murder has become a transgressor. It would make more sense for someone to say well, I commit adultery but at least I’m not a murderer than the other way around. But if he was speaking about a volatile situation in Judea where some believers might be thinking that revolt is justified it makes more sense. Besides, I’m not sure that the situation in the diaspora at either end of that timeframe would have been that volatile.

So any info on the subject or books, especially relating to the social situation in Judea leading up to the Jewish Civil War would be greatly appreciated.
Randy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The standard history of Judaism during this period is Emil Schurer's The History of the Jewish People in the Age of Jesus Christ. I would highly advise getting hold of the edition that was updated by Vermes, Millar, and Black, and published by T&T Clark. It covers the period 175 B.C.-A.D. 135. That should give you any and all information that you could possibly want covering that period of Jewish history.

That’s for the suggestion! I’ll get a copy and start in on it.
Randy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back