Book of Job, recommend commentaries or books

Status
Not open for further replies.

3John2

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm looking to study the book of Job this coming year & would like some recommendations on books on the book of Job. Thank you.:detective:

James Durham on Job. In one lecture per chapter he gives an excellent and stimulating analysis. It's brief and pointed.

On the other end of the length spectrum is Joseph Caryl on Job. If I am not mistaken, it must be the single largest commentary on any book of Scripture.

"The Misery of Job and the Mercy of God"--by John Piper. While this is an interpretive poem and not a commentary, I found this book very help when going through Job privately. It is also a great read for those going through suffering.

James Durham on Job. In one lecture per chapter he gives an excellent and stimulating analysis. It's brief and pointed.

On the other end of the length spectrum is Joseph Caryl on Job. If I am not mistaken, it must be the single largest commentary on any book of Scripture.

The only thing I can add to these excellent recommendations (Caryl is HUGE - and encompasses much more than Job - he really went to great length to use the whole witness of Scripture to exposit the teachings of the book of Job) is a hard-to-find book of sermons by John Calvin on Job. Those are masterful and nicely compliment Durham (and Caryl)

Todd

John Calvin, Matthew Poole, and Matthew Henry both have sections of their commentaries on Job. They'd be a good place to look.

Especially since having their commentaries are prerequisites for being reformed. :)

Here is a good resource on all of the OT books: Green Baggins: Old Testament Commentaries

In addition to Caryl, Rev Keister recommends, "Calvin's sermons, Clines, Andersen, Hartley, and Janzen. Don't miss the great book by Robert Fyall called "Now My Eyes Have Seen You".

hard-to-find book of sermons by John Calvin on Job
If anyone is interested I still have this for sale from my downsizing book sell off from some months ago.
http://www.puritanboard.com/f81/downsizing-selling-off-some-my-library-batch-2-a-68381/
2. Calvin on Job, 2 books $50.
Folio facsimile by BoT
Sermons from Job, selected and trans. by Leroy Nixon (1952)
I think SGCB is reprinting the Nixon which is simply a selection of some of the sermons from the folio edition.

Tremper Longman III's new commentary on Job. It should be good. Forthcoming from Baker Academic (August, 2012) in the Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom and Psalms series. Longman also wrote the commentary on Proverbs in this series.

One book I really got a lot out on Job was G Campbell Morgan's "The answers of Jesus to Job"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back